PDA

View Full Version : is hapkido practical??

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

countvolt
11/13/2008 5:35am,
hello i am practising hapkido for only 2-3 months bt i have the fealing that i ll have the chance to apply what i am learning after 10 years of training....i know that i am a bit impatient about understanding the basics f tyhe art but in other arts i practiced(judo,karate,mt) i felt that i hade an idea from the first or second month...

omoplatypus
11/14/2008 8:01am,
hapkido is practical for learning anatomy and balance. it can help your TKD skills tons, but keep it in the right perspective.

Goju - Joe
11/14/2008 8:30am,
hello i am practising hapkido for only 2-3 months bt i have the fealing that i ll have the chance to apply what i am learning after 10 years of training....i know that i am a bit impatient about understanding the basics f tyhe art but in other arts i practiced(judo,karate,mt) i felt that i hade an idea from the first or second month...

There is practical Hapkido that fights and trains alive. youtube combat Hapkido

But if you are training somewhere that gives you the 10 year line ... then no. The 10 years to practicality bit is a scam and self delusional lie.

Vieux Normand
11/14/2008 9:36am,
"Practical" in what context? What kind of situations are you trying to address?

countvolt
11/15/2008 10:53am,
practical in a street fight...in a self defence situation...

It is Fake
11/15/2008 11:05am,

But if you are training somewhere that gives you the 10 year line ... then no. The 10 years to practicality bit is a scam and self delusional lie.

Here is your answer, please read it carefully.

Hex
11/15/2008 7:28pm,

I certainly agree with the first sentence, but not sure where the recommendation of Combat Hapkido comes from.

Unless this is your idea of live training:

YouTube - Combat Hapkido (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXz1-3cuwWQ)

(The founder of CHKD, John Pelligrini, is a well-known "paper tiger" in the HKD community.)

Kentucky Fried Chokin
11/15/2008 7:42pm,
I think the OP is being a bit impatient. So you might have to put up with getting your ass kicked for 10 years, but after 10 years you might actually win one!

Vorpal
11/15/2008 7:46pm,
Search "Pro Hapkido" on Google Video. If your Hapkido looks like that you would be alright. I doubt you would be asking the question if that was the case however. Many Hapkido schools overemphasize the more "aikidoish" aspects of the art (single point of contact joint manipulations and throws) while neglecting the more judo like aspects (multiple point of contact throws, chokes and submissions). Schools of both types may or may not use a lot of TKD style kicks that are different than the ones originally found in Hapkido. Any school or style that claims you need to train for ten years before developing proficiency is a huge red flag. Would you pay for swim lessons that took that long? Any good school using good training methods should improve your fighting ability in a few months. From the tone of your OP it seems you already know the answer. Finding another place to train may be imperative but keep an open mind to Hapkido because it can be quite good.

Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs
11/15/2008 7:48pm,
To the OP,
I see that you also train MT and BJJ, if you train your HKD in the same way as MT and BJJ then you will learn to fight, if you train deadpattern drills...run.
Quit HKD, join a Judo club and you'll be better off.

It is Fake
11/15/2008 7:50pm,
I'd actually like to know what school.

omoplatypus
11/15/2008 9:39pm,
i would agree with the above posters. really, hapkido is as practical as the way you train it.

deadpan drills = anatomy class. alive training with throws, locks, and chokes = good hopkido

Goju - Joe
11/15/2008 9:48pm,
I certainly agree with the first sentence, but not sure where the recommendation of Combat Hapkido comes from.

Unless this is your idea of live training:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXz1-3cuwWQ

(The founder of CHKD, John Pelligrini, is a well-known "paper tiger" in the HKD community.)

You know what....

I am getting my sports mixed up I was thinking

Pro Hapkido and then getting the name mixed up with Combat Sambo

My apologies to the OP

countvolt
11/16/2008 11:10am,
we use in our training chokes,throws etc....i have doubts cause the way we train is unfamiliar to me(mt,bjj and judo,karate i practised used other training methids) bt i am not dissatisfied with hkd....maybe it s too early to understand the value of the art...

It is Fake
11/16/2008 11:14am,
i have doubts cause the way we train is unfamiliar to me(mt,bjj and judo,karate i practised used other training methids)These types of statements are ridiculous. If you have experience, that is telling you it doesn't fit, what else is there to ask?

bt i am not dissatisfied with hkd....maybe it s too early to understand the value of the art...To early? You really aren't reading what people are typing are you?

Before the Hapkido defenders start in, read what I wrote carefully.

Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs
11/16/2008 11:23am,
we use in our training chokes,throws etc....i have doubts cause the way we train is unfamiliar to me(mt,bjj and judo,karate i practised used other training methids) bt i am not dissatisfied with hkd....maybe it s too early to understand the value of the art...

Read post #10 again, then look at the stylefield, know that I started in 1998 until present day.

Make your conclusions