PDA

View Full Version : Newbie w/Combatives Experience

bluedog626
11/02/2008 9:12am,
I've just started training jits, but have been doing Army Combatives pretty regularly for the last 5 years or so. I've found some things translate, but others don't. Does anyone have extensive experience with both systems and what they were able to take from combatives to propel their jits game?

TKDBot
11/02/2008 9:13am,
We knew you could do it! bluedog626 posted, YAY! And if a bot is this rude, just imagine harsh this is gonna be. Hope you're wearing a thick gi.

Diesel_tke
11/02/2008 9:15am,
Actually, if you have been doing MAC then you have been doing BJJ. So you are already there. How far into the MAC did you go?

Platinum Fist
11/03/2008 6:40pm,
5 years? You should be an instructor by now with all that training

Cliff DOG
11/28/2008 5:21pm,
I've just started training jits, but have been doing Army Combatives pretty regularly for the last 5 years or so. I've found some things translate, but others don't. Does anyone have extensive experience with both systems and what they were able to take from combatives to propel their jits game?

I guess the biggest difference is that Jujitsu is a sport with the goal of a tap out or submission.

I would guess that Army Combat techniques would include alot of down and dirty techniques that would get you banned from tournament competition. Like eye gouges, groin shots, neck strikes, basically strikes in general, and knees to the head etc. The goal of army combat would be to kill or maime your attacker and not get killed your self.

Im sure jujitsu could be trained for combat, and im some schools it is, in my experience bjj is more geared towards tournament and technique.

AlphaFoxtrot51
11/28/2008 5:49pm,

I found that Army Combatives (GFT) was not on par with BJJ. I found that they taught a lot of REALLY bad habits in the Army that will get you rolled up when you get to a BJJ school.

Hint: Guard, while it is technically a dominant position, is only dominant when you actively use it.