PDA

View Full Version : Rugby football

lechuza
12/17/2003 11:08am,
How many of you have played or currently play rugby, and which position?

I played wing forward/flanker and a sometimes prop.

Striking and grappling skills are very useful in this sport--agree or disagree? I found I had to use both but, I guess it depends on how you play and which position.

elipson
12/17/2003 2:51pm,
Lock, and hopefully flank one day. You were a winger and a prop? That can't be true, it would destabalize the universe!!

Striking doesn't come into to play (usually :)), but grappling is great. Helps you stay on your feet better, not to mention tackling. Breakfalls and rolls help a lot too. I always roll straight to my feet.

Go England!

lechuza
12/17/2003 3:15pm,
my college team had three sides. I'd play prop on the C side and flank on the B side.
Yeh, striking only came into play, ahem, if i thought it was deserved and the ref. wasn't watching.
As flank, I had to look out for my prop. If the other prop was playing dirty, I'd give ;em a good pop on the ear or in the ribs.

There was a lot of gorundwork at times, as I recall. I going out for this social side this coming spring season.

Little Idea
12/17/2003 7:59pm,
I played mostly wing in the back field and flank as a forward. Also spent a fair bit of time as the hooker.

[quote]Striking and grappling skills are very useful in this sport--agree or disagree? I found I had to use both but, I guess it depends on how you play and which position. [\quote]

Uhm, Rugby is about as close as you can get to true unarmed battlefield style combat with a keg at the aftermath.

"Whoever sheds his blood with me on this day shall forever be my brother" - William Shakespeare

Darting Fingers
12/17/2003 8:21pm,
I have played half back, hooker, breakaway, wing and in the centres.
Oh and down with Johnny Rotten!