PDA

View Full Version : Comic: BJJ vs Pancrase. How do the japanese see BJJ?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

AAAhmed46
10/26/2008 2:47am,
http://www.onemanga.com/Historys_Strongest_Disciple_Kenichi/229/01/

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/AAAhmed46/bjj1.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/AAAhmed46/BJJ2.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/AAAhmed46/BJJ5.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/AAAhmed46/bjj3.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/AAAhmed46/05.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/AAAhmed46/bjj4.jpg

EVERY TIME ive seen BJJ in japanese Anime, it's almost always with the BJJ guy getting beat.

IE grappller baki for instance. They rarely ever have a badass BJJ charecter. Never seen it. Muay thai will get great respect(IE Apachai, Sagat, Adon) as well as boxing and wrestling, but never BJJ.

Is there some stupid little cultural competition?

AAAhmed46
10/26/2008 2:48am,
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/AAAhmed46/12.jpg

You know though, i really love this comic. It's like a fruitier version of Noritaka the trouble maker.

illegalusername
10/26/2008 4:33am,
What? Everyone knows BJJ people ALWAYS jump guard. If you blindfolded one, spun him around and bumped him into a lightpole that lightpole would get armbared the **** out

Squerlli
10/26/2008 4:52am,
What? Everyone knows BJJ people ALWAYS jump guard. If you blindfolded one, spun him around and bumped him into a lightpole that lightpole would get armbared the **** out

For some weird reason that makes me think of BJJ magnets.

Also **** histories strongest ****-tard. The author is a fucking moron, seriously, and I think Baki is shitty. HSD is fucking garbage to the max. It's utter faggotry in it's purest form.

I hope the mangaka fagg who draws this **** gets his ass beat by an amy MMA fighter. Seriously, the stupid fucker needs a reality check, the story line and fighting explanations go BEYOND fiction.

Skillful
10/26/2008 8:01am,
Ever notice that Brazilians don't win by decision in Japan, even when they clearly win by decision in Japan? Case in point: Royler Gracie v. Hideo Tokoro, K-1 Dynamite, 12/31/06. Not to mention the stoppage in the Sakuraba fight.

Gezere
10/26/2008 8:29am,
BJJ losing is a common theme in Japan.

Remember that in Japan MMA didn't start with UFC it actually started in the late 80s by Pro Wrestlers. You get BJJ on the scene and all their heros go down.

Manga reflects that distaste:

Garouden: BJJ fighter who was previously undefeated gets trounced by the hero.

Minorou: BJJ Brazilian member of a Karates school turned MMA gets beaten in grappling by a NINJA. However this is the manga that introduced BNJ (Brazilian Nin-Jutsu).

Grappler Baki: Again fictional Gracie beaten down easily by Baki's father.

TOUGH: Constantly puts down GJJ in that Wrestlers and JJJ have better technique. "Compared to this Gracie JuJitsu is just a massage." Tough was filled with PANCRASE placement so there was no bias there. /sarcasm.

Fodland
10/26/2008 8:56am,
I think the reason why BJJ won't get popular in mangas is because nobody would like to read 50 pages about people grappling on the ground. I like grappling, but I wouldn't have read a 50 pages comic about a grappling match unless it's so realistic I could learn from it.

Just Guess
10/26/2008 9:17am,
It's an over the top martial arts manga. It's a fun read, but don't take it seriously. You have to admit, some of the master characters are pretty awesome and hilarious.

hpr
10/26/2008 12:40pm,
I think the reason why BJJ won't get popular in mangas is because nobody would like to read 50 pages about people grappling on the ground. I like grappling, but I wouldn't have read a 50 pages comic about a grappling match unless it's so realistic I could learn from it.

You clearly haven't read enough manga if you think that those guys can't make literally anything entertaining. Tennis? Go? Pool? Even goddamn baseball? Check, check, check aaand check. And that's just something from the top of my head.

Fodland
10/26/2008 1:06pm,
You clearly haven't read enough manga if you think that those guys can't make literally anything entertaining. Tennis? Go? Pool? Even goddamn baseball? Check, check, check aaand check. And that's just something from the top of my head.
Oh, I've watched anime and read manga for 11 years, I know how much crap the japanese can make entertaining ( I bet they even have a Mah Jong manga). But still, for me to read it, they'd have to do more than include a big breasted woman who only wins matches because the opponents get choked out by her breasts, or faint from bloodloss ( from nosebleed) when she get's into a north-south position

If the manga had only been 3 volumes or so, I'd read it, but if it had been as long as Hajime no Ippo, NO WAY.

Epicurus
10/26/2008 2:14pm,
I think that a manga or anime about real grappling has the potential to be completely awesome. BJJ is at least as exciting as boxing in theory; your argument that grappling is inherently un-glamourizable falls flat with me.

Grappler Baki is actually a great example of Japanese martial arts bias; in Grappler Baki, the two fighters who use BJJ get beaten down easily. The only people beaten by BJJ are other westerners, like the boxer. The german submission grappler gets trounced by a Karate kid who doesn't even know how to escape the mount (literally, he explicitly identifies the mount position as a sort of gimmick technique that would never work on him). The Japanese MMA guy gets beaten by someone who can deliver 30 consecutive flying kicks, and even the Judoka loses to a skinny heroin addict. Grappler Baki was definitely someone's angry pet project seemingly directed at all "alive" styles, plus non-asians (esp. black dudes).

BJJ is definitely seen as something to be denounced in Japan, and the evidence in popular culture is very strong.

IMightBeWrong
10/26/2008 3:08pm,
Wow, what language are you guys speaking? I haven't watched anime since freshman year in high school when I found out I couldn't really learn the "kamehameha" or pilot a gigantic robot made from an alloy called Gundanium. The news about the robots cut me deep :sad7:

Kentucky Fried Chokin
10/26/2008 4:11pm,
I always though the Japanese loved BJJ. They created organizations like ZST that specifically favored the man on bottom, and always ooh and awwed the technical grappling ability. Maybe the Japanese really are no better than the American fans, just annoying in different ways.

Epicurus
10/26/2008 4:18pm,
I always though the Japanese loved BJJ. They created organizations like ZST that specifically favored the man on bottom, and always ooh and awwed the technical grappling ability. Maybe the Japanese really are no better than the American fans, just annoying in different ways.
Japanese fighting organizations certainly are receptive enough to BJJ, and the average japanese fan seems to have a FAR better grasp of grappling technique, but in popular culture (by which I mean cartoons), BJJ is always shown as misguided at best.

P.S: To Zaohu: as fun as it is to make fun of people who watch cartoons,

1. Japanese cartoons are not targeted just at kids. The stories also tend toward more mature themes.
2. Everyone hates DBZ. But I'm not about to say "I don't watch live-action movies anymore because I saw waterworld and BOY did it suck!" Don't judge a whole genre by its retarded posterboy.
3. I really hate defending anime, because it generally does have similar annoying tendencies no matter what the series or movie (Really weird endings, extremely girly male characters, remarkable sexism, etc.); but you can't condemn the whole genre out of hand like that. It can be entertaining and quirky and fun to watch, and at worst it's certainly no worse than TV shows from europe or north america.

Marc Spector
10/26/2008 4:25pm,
Shamo has a BJJ guy who doesn't suck.

twKoxinga
10/26/2008 4:47pm,
Tokyo Zombie is a manga about two BJJ guys surviving/fighting zombies with their Jiujitsu... the Mangaka trains BJJ and fights in MMA...
and I think in one Detective Conan episode a guy from brazil named Rickson Tanaka or something uses BJJ and kills a lady who was trying to assassinate him for some inheritance money, so its not all negative portrayals.

I would assume another reason why this anti-BJJ bias exists is mangaka are nerds who believe in all the mystical traditional martial arts stuff or are people who understand that many people believe in that stuff and want to see their country's martial art win (aka japanese styles), so their work reflects this sentiment.