PDA

View Full Version : Hi!! New to Taekwondo sparring

Pages : [1] 2

Silly.orange
10/12/2008 7:16am,
Hi there!

Glad to have found this forum and i have a problem with myself...

seems like everytime during sparring session, i will just freeze there and not sure what to do.. :5arg:

Can someone please advise me how to move and stop being so scared???

BJJbot
10/12/2008 7:17am,
In spite of what some other web-sites would have you believe, we here at Bullshido.net welcome you, Silly.orange, with open arms and hope that you will share with us your unique experiences and ideas on the martial arts.... so that we may then make fun of those experiences and ideas.

50pence
10/12/2008 8:05am,
Hi

What did your intructor say when you asked him/her?

DerAuslander
10/12/2008 10:08am,
This is really something you need to discuss with your instructor.

TEA
10/12/2008 11:11am,
Hi there!

Glad to have found this forum and i have a problem with myself...

seems like everytime during sparring session, i will just freeze there and not sure what to do.. :5arg:

Can someone please advise me how to move and stop being so scared???

What DerAuslander said, but I can offer some opinions. Just be aware that advise on sparring over the internet isn't your best option.

How long have you been doing TKD? Have you ever done any other MA or been in many fights before? If the answer to the second question is "no" and the answer to the first is anything less than six months, then my advise is to just be patient. Until you've been hit hard a few times and realize that it's not the end of the world, then your fear of being hit will out weigh most everything else. This is a natural response and there would be something wrong with you if if you didn't have it. Gradually, once you realize that getting hit sucks but is not the end of the world, you'll be able to focus more on hitting the other guy. No matter how good you get, you want to have a little fear, though, because that is going to continue to motivate you to avoid getting hit and facing down that fear is also part of the rush of sparring/fighting. I would think that sparring/fighting would be pretty boring if one had no fear at all.

DerAuslander
10/12/2008 11:14am,
Best advice: Understand that you're going to get hit, and just go in there trying to kick the other guy as hard as you can. Erase every thought from your mind except "KICK!". Kick the heavy bag, kick hand pads, kick people...just kick!

Wounded Ronin
10/12/2008 12:48pm,
Silly.orange, what I needed to do in order to get started with sparring back when I had first started was to drill likely combinations a lot (i.e. jab, hook, cross) so that when I was under stress I could execute them from muscle memory.

Kyduh
10/12/2008 3:23pm,
Silly.orange, what I needed to do in order to get started with sparring back when I had first started was to drill likely combinations a lot (i.e. jab, hook, cross) so that when I was under stress I could execute them from muscle memory.QFT. If you've never had to hit someone, or your nervous about hitting your friend, you're gonna have to pretend they're the heavy bag for a while before you get comfortable enough to start looking for shots.

Of course getting hit seemed to help speed up the process for me.

Silly.orange
10/12/2008 8:16pm,
Thanks for all ur replies!

Actually im more worried about leg clashes!!

Thats my main problem.. It seems like my legs are always clashing with my friend...

DerAuslander
10/12/2008 8:18pm,
Just fight.

You get over it.

TEA
10/12/2008 8:40pm,
Unless you're Cuban, you'll learn to get over it.

DerAuslander
10/12/2008 8:42pm,
*Rimshot*

TEA
10/12/2008 8:45pm,
Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all night. Don't forget to pinch - I mean tip - your waitress.

Oh, and SillyOrange, got to YMAS and check out my "Back in the Day" thread. You'll see we didn't use shin pads "back in the day" and we still got along just fine.

DerAuslander
10/12/2008 8:48pm,
Bruised shins are sexy.

TEA
10/12/2008 8:55pm,
Bruised shins are sexy.

Especially if you and your TKD girlfriend take the time to make each other feel better after class.

ironcastknight
10/12/2008 9:25pm,
As a kyokushin guy, particularly a new one, this is an issue I can throw my two cents in on as well.

Firstly, and probably most importantly, don't be afraid of pain. Pain hurts, yes, and bare shin on bare shin hard contact fucking hurts, but all that pain will toughen you up until you barely notice it anymore. Plus, chances are your sparring partner won't be all that keen on getting hurt either, so your mutual caution should help to prevent serious injuries.

Secondly, as was previously mentioned by more experienced people, if you have a hard time actually attacking someone, think of your opponent as a heavy weight bag and start unleashing deliberate combinations. Punch, kick, it's all in the mind.

Thirdly, if you're wearing squishy shin guards, stop being such a ***** and kick the **** out of them; Short of kicking a steel pole you aren't that likely to break your leg, unless you've been skipping out on your milks and cheeses.