PDA

View Full Version : I see chinese martial arts first on movies and videogames

dapithapon
10/07/2008 12:10pm,
I'm one of those who have fat lifestyle

5.9 ht 205 lbs, movable up to spinning back kick. Not comfortable though I had pain my lower left back and butt, shoulder clicking but I'll only go for the easier ones to have a multi purpose exercise

What I'd like to know is Piguaquan, Baguazhang and Bajiquan. After it, Hung Gar

My main reference is Tekken. I'm only going for ebooks since, am too intimidated by students doing multiple somersaults

I had no intention to become a great martial artist, I don't desire it, not up to it

Help on ebooks please

TKDBot
10/07/2008 12:11pm,
Welcome to the Bullshido Forums dapithapon... Make sure you review your dojo (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83) and add it to your user control panel so you can get the http://www.bullshido.net/images/dojoreview1.gif icon in your user info bar in your posts.

Suprore
10/07/2008 12:12pm,
Sadly, you aren't going to learn anything from ebooks or videos. You have about as much of a chance as you do learning from those videogames and movies.

Find a local school, walk in, try the free class. If you want something with practical effectiveness and to feel like you're really accomplishing something (also, to lose weight!) make sure whatever you're learning has real sparring. Such as San Shou, Muay Thai, Boxing, Kickboxing, Wrestling, BJJ, MMA... etc.

May not be exactly what you're looking for from the movies and games, but you'll learn to love training something 'realistic' instead. They have their own kind of flair.

BaronVonDingDong
10/07/2008 12:21pm,
Sorry friend, but ebooks will not work. You're going to have to do what I did, and swallow your pride and walk your fat self into class. Stick with it, even though it's hard, and it'll get better with each passing week. In a couple of months, you won't be fat any more.

Seriously, if you show up and give it your all, the other dudes in class will respect you.

Good luck.

dapithapon
10/07/2008 12:21pm,
Oh, thank you for the advice, but so far, the wushu school I'm informed to be near here is a bit far. I actually desire to learn the basics completely then the hard ones, those with acrobatics, no

I'll apperciate some e books because I'll take college on summer, yo I'm 22

Just to excercise some at my house

BTW, I'd love sparring, and I shouldn't worry about my opponent because I'm a kind person, I don't know about my possible partner, he might give black eye or something

I've seen Baji and Pigua books on cyberkwoon but, there's no script, too bad

Epicurus
10/07/2008 1:06pm,
Oh, thank you for the advice, but so far, the wushu school I'm informed to be near here is a bit far. I actually desire to learn the basics completely then the hard ones, those with acrobatics, no

I'll apperciate some e books because I'll take college on summer, yo I'm 22

Just to excercise some at my house

BTW, I'd love sparring, and I shouldn't worry about my opponent because I'm a kind person, I don't know about my possible partner, he might give black eye or something

I've seen Baji and Pigua books on cyberkwoon but, there's no script, too bad

Sparring:

If you go someplace that spars, believe me, you don't need to worry about hurting people or getting hurt during your first experience. The whole point of sparring is that it's safe, and if you go to a club where a new person gets even a black eye, that club is probably terrible anyway.

E-Books:

Also: You will not, I repeat, not improve using e-books. You can improve with videos and e books if you are already a very advanced student who is learning a few new concepts to try later - not if you're unfamiliar with the art.

Learning from books or video will only cause you to mimic an approximation of what you see which will have a million problems that the book or movie can't point out to you - and actually slow down your training when you start for real.

Fitness:

Oh lord, when I started martial arts I was a severely out of shape ************. It sucks, but just haul your ass to class. You will not only become more fit, but you will gain valuable motivation to improve yourself (I did) and within a month you'll see progress, within a year you'll see revolutionary change. If, that is, you actually drag yourself to class every week at least twice a week.

Finally, a personal comment on style:

To reiterate a point; the martial arts you expressed interest in have a questionable record. If fighting well is not part of your goals, then, by all means. Just be sceptical and science-minded about this; look for proof of effectiveness and shop around if you're not convinced.

Getting into martial arts is like buying a new car; the salesman on the lot will always seem so confident that this is a great deal and that you ought to just take it for a spin and you'll fall in love... be a sceptic.

As a person with honest regard for anyone who wants to get into martial arts, I urge you to take a serious look at a style with lots of "aliveness" (good training): San Shou, Judo, Muay Thai, Boxing, Kyokushin Karate, Brazilian Ju Jitsu, MMA, wrestling, etc.

The difference between those styles and the ones you named is literally like day and night - and you can save yourself a lot of time by starting now rather than swtiching later (like myself and many others here did).

Good luck!

And remember: DRAG YOUR ASS TO CLASS.

Suprore
10/07/2008 1:11pm,
If you're going to college that's perfect. Your college almost certainly has MA clubs, look them up!

Jeffrey
10/07/2008 2:49pm,
Just to add one more voice:

I was a hideous, disgusting 350 pounds when I started training. My first few months were an embarrassment, but I decided this was my one last chance to get my life together and stuck with it. Since then I've lost 70 pounds and can't describe the difference it makes.

To the OP: Books won't help, only getting your fat ass to class and training hard. It is up to you.

Antiquitas
10/07/2008 4:39pm,
I understand your desire to want to learn from E-Books. Its cheaper, less judgmental, and do not require you to meet certain expectations to advance. Stay away from e-books. Stay away from books that teach martial arts, they should be reference only.

Long ago, the Shaolin monks were not in shape when Bhodidharma came to them from India. His lectures bored the monks to sleep. He also noticed the monks were severely out of shape to the point of being close to death. After a long meditation in a cave, he came out with the 49 postures of I Chin Ching. The monks learned a healthy body meant a healthy mind.

I recommend you go to a nearby school and physically participate in your training. Also, I would like to point something out about the styles you picked. It is nice that you wish to learn those styles, but are they for your body type? I wanted to learn Northern Tiger, and Eagle Claw, but my short frame and weak fingers (at the time) made me a poor candidate for it. At 5'5", I just could not meet some of the requirements needed of Northern Tiger. My low center of gravity and innate flexibility allowed me to be great at Snake and later Drunken Fist. What this long winded paragraph is trying to say is, although the moves in Tekken may seem fantastic and awesome to preform do what is right for your body. If your body moves well with Jui-Jitsu, do Jui-Jitsu. If your muscles seem to react well with Shotokan Karatedo, then do Shotokan Karatedo. There is no requirement for you to become a great martial artist, but you must first do what is right for your body.

Also one more reason to go to school, muscle memory. It is nice to learn from a book. And you can do a great job at it. Mimic the moves just so, but is it the right movement... Is it fluid enough? In school, you will learn the proper movement and be forced to do those movements. Let's face it, people are creatures of habit, and habit includes lethargy. School will force you to have muscle memory for those movements where a book will show you how to stand in a posture, and magically in another posture while telling you the rough of how your movements should be. Videos are not much better, but a distinct advantage over books. There is just something missing from watching instead of being there.

I apologize for being significantly biased for school participation, but I have not seen nor heard of any significant advancement via book devoid of school participation. I'm sorry, but I feel that is going to be the answer you will get from the forums. Go to School, and have fun.

theotherserge
10/07/2008 5:14pm,
Hey Jeffery, nice work! Good example and keep at it. Get out there and breathe the r3al 4ir!

I might hate doing it, but I'm [email protected] 3x/week for a crossfit class. Actually, the hardest part is getting out of bed. High cholesterol will lose!