PDA

View Full Version : Was scoping out this really promising dojo until an alarm went off...

ethrash187
12/15/2003 3:00am,
The site is http://www.kenjuryu.com/default.asp , japanese jujutsu. My friends trains there and he says its not what you'd call a "mcdojo" and his dad who is an instructor at this place is also a bouncer in a club so im pretty sure he can fight well. BUT, i was looking at the scedual etc and I saw "black belt club" all of a sudden the alarm went off, I just want your guys' input on what you think. Thanks

Noodlepower
12/15/2003 3:10am,
it seems legit...it's danzan ryu and kenpo. nothing really made up i dont think. well the black belt club is just a kid's program i'm assuming it's something 'fun' for the kids...but then again if they have 200 little junior black belts running around then that might be a problem.

Hannibal
12/15/2003 4:49am,
How the hell do you expect us to make any sort of assessment about a dojo over the internet. One needs to be there to see hoe they train.

Deadpan Scientist
12/15/2003 5:20am,
Black belt clubs can mean a lot of different things. Sometimes it's a lump sum you pay and you get to train until you get your black belt, sometimes it's a lump sum for a blackbelt in 1 year, sometimes it's another word for the "advanced" class. Ask them about it.

Black_Rose
12/15/2003 5:24am,
Yah man,

Seriously, alot of the time black belt classes are alot more advanced and they tend to go harder on each other. For that reason its advisable that there is a seperate class.

On the other hand as mentioned by others its just a bullshit scheme to rake in more cash by teaching some'Mystical secret' bullshit.Im sure there are things that should be taught only to certain people, but be wary of that, as that knowledge is passed down to those who earn it, not pay for it !

ethrash187
12/15/2003 9:08am,
alright cool, thanks guys

Ronin
12/15/2003 9:17am,
As for the kenjutsu part, Nakamura was Obata instructor, I am not sure when Obata "created" Shinkendo Or how Legit it is.
Obata's credtibility has been called into question in regards to certain claims he has made in the west.
Still, seems like a well rounded school.

Jamoke
12/16/2003 12:31pm,
"How the hell do you expect us to make any sort of assessment about a dojo over the internet. One needs to be there to see hoe they train."

This is what I have been saying for YEARS!

Dochter
12/16/2003 12:45pm,
year + 2 months.

and I thought it was more "fukk you cokk go there and TRAIN pansy fukker" :D

Omega Supreme
12/16/2003 1:22pm,
I think everybody is correct on this. You can't judge this guy just because he has a blackbelt club, his crendetials seem solid, and there's no way for you to judge until you meet the guy in person. Heck if you want I have connections, I could find out weather he's legit or not but it looks solid to me.

m4949
12/16/2003 1:34pm,
There's nothing wrong with a black belt club, it's al about what the Club actually is.
In some schools, you pay extra to earn you balckbelt fast....that is bad, very very bad.
A school I train with has one too. it's a class open only to blackbelts and balckbelt candidates. it's a way to get the candidates access to all the ranking instructors.

Jamoke
12/16/2003 1:52pm,
"and I thought it was more "fukk you cokk go there and TRAIN pansy fukker""

YOU took the words right out of my mouth!

Ronin
12/16/2003 2:17pm,
Black Belt only classes are VERY common in Japan.
Closed door, BB only full contact bare knuckle, all out fun and games was the main stay of Kyokushin and many other styles and still is.

patfromlogan
12/29/2003 1:06pm,
Originally posted by ronin69
Black Belt only classes are VERY common in Japan.
Closed door, BB only full contact bare knuckle, all out fun and games was the main stay of Kyokushin and many other styles and still is.

Yes, we had a great bb class for a while. Mostly one style but it was open to any bb in town. We took turns teaching and did a lot of sparring. High colored belts were allowed in for a month before tournaments. Didn't have to use our time on NooBs.

The_Ghost
1/01/2004 3:39am,
We have a black belt club, it doesn't mean your a black belt or that you're going to become a black belt in a certain amount of time. It's the name we give for the group of people who practice at the dojo for two hours every day (and the two hours go into three), unlike the normal people who practic 2-3 times a week. It just means they're working harder to get it quicker. Doesn't mean they'll get it quicker though.