PDA

View Full Version : New Guy

Pages : [1] 2

Ordinary Joe
9/29/2008 12:18am,
It seems like this may be Bullshido suicide to say, but I'm an aikido guy who's been practicing on and off (with work and family constraints) for around 13 years. After Army service left me with a chronic back injury, I found aikido to be a gentle way to regain some of my flexibility and strength. I enjoyed it and stuck with it.

For the last year and a half, I have been teaching a group of rote beginner homeschoolers - kids and some of their parents - to share what I know and to get them some useful exercise. For me, it's been an exercise in revisiting my roots, rechecking with excruciating detail all of those things I thought I knew. For this time in my life, I consider that plus an occasional seminar to be my own aikido training.

I do own a set of "magic pants," but, no, I don't really enjoy wearing them. I'm not "aiki-fruity": I understand the limits of my art and I like my techniques to work without brainwashed or overly-compliant ukes. For lack of training in striking arts, I probably still punch like a girl (so to speak). I'm not a competitor and have no interest in becoming one---I'm getting too old for that. But I do enjoy occasionally cross-training with different styles, learning what I can and sharing what little I know.

Thank you to DerAuslander108 for the invitation to join here. Last year I found his Zen teacher and thus him; we've been friends since.

-Joe

KungFuBot
9/29/2008 12:19am,
We knew you could do it! Ordinary Joe posted, YAY! And if a bot is this rude, just imagine harsh this is gonna be. Hope you're wearing a thick gi.

hpr
9/29/2008 12:35am,
Welcome. You're not delusional about the abilities aikido teaches you, so it's all good. Not everyone wants to be a über badass and that's OK.

It's the delusional ones and their claims that (mainly, wait until you meet Virus..) get us.

DerAuslander
9/29/2008 6:16am,
This thread needs a Duran Duran soundtrack.

pauli
9/29/2008 7:47am,
welcome to bullshido! where are you located?

DerAuslander
9/29/2008 7:51am,
Read his post & apply some inductive reasoning.

Vorpal
9/29/2008 7:59am,
OJ, welcome to the board.

pauli
9/29/2008 9:33am,
Read his post & apply some inductive reasoning.
it's newbietown, so i was being polite and giving him the benefit of the doubt that he might not be another damn marylander.

DerAuslander
9/29/2008 9:41am,
We will rule this place.

Ordinary Joe
9/29/2008 10:22am,
it's newbietown, so i was being polite and giving him the benefit of the doubt that he might not be another damn marylander.

Born in Brooklyn, raised in New Jersey and Connecticut. The Army had me in Missouri, California, Texas, Massachusetts, and Kentucky/Tennessee (Ft. Campbell, on the border). On leaving, I lived in Georgia (waiting for my wife's Army enlistment to end) and then West Virginia (wife's home state, where we both went to school). I came to Maryland for work and have been here for a few years.

All of these states have claimed me at one point or another, but I don't call any of them Home.

DerAuslander
9/29/2008 10:30am,
Where is Home?

ignatzami
9/29/2008 10:36am,
Where is Home?

*ding* What is "Where the heart is" Alex. I'll take Finish This... for $200.

Ordinary Joe
9/29/2008 10:40am,
Where is Home?

Yes, Where is.

... but that is neither Here nor There.

Ordinary Joe
9/29/2008 10:45am,
This thread needs a Duran Duran soundtrack.

Which Duran Duran song would keep hpr's avatar dancing like that? :icon_wink

DerAuslander
9/29/2008 10:52am,
Nice!

DerAuslander
9/29/2008 10:52am,
I won't cry for yesterday, there's an ordinary joe...