PDA

View Full Version : defend wrist and finger locks

Pages : [1] 2

sci49ch1
9/26/2008 10:32pm,
once I am in one of those wrist or finger locks where my finger tips are bent back almost to the top of my forearm..... how do I break the hold without getting something broken?

GhostOfKimura
9/26/2008 10:33pm,
We knew you could do it! sci49ch1 posted, YAY! And if a bot is this rude, just imagine harsh this is gonna be. Hope you're wearing a thick gi.

kultist
9/27/2008 8:43am,
You get out of fingerlocks by not letting people grab your fingers.

CrackFox
9/27/2008 9:08am,
Seriously though, finger locks get mocked around here because they're difficult to apply on a resisting opponent. Thing is, once they're "locked in", they're very difficult to escape without having your fingers broken. Avoiding them in the first place really is all you can do.

8bit
9/27/2008 9:29pm,
Is that why they are mocked? They aren't very useful as submissions. Pretty easy to break a finger once you have it though.

CrackFox
9/28/2008 3:15am,
Is that why they are mocked?

I think so, I could be wrong. With a lot of finger/wrist lock demos they just slap the lock on without pinning their opponent and isolating the limb to be locked first.

Omega Supreme
9/28/2008 3:33am,
They're mocked because there are entire systems built around a flimsy group of techniques that have very little chance of success yet all the fucking horny tit sucking spastic monkeys that beat off to every ninja movie thinks they're the ****.

Simple answer:
Don't let them grab your fingers.

If they grab your fingers you grab yours too.

Now go sit in the corner and masturbate over that.

Lebell
9/28/2008 5:59am,
once I am in one of those wrist or finger locks where my finger tips are bent back almost to the top of my forearm..... how do I break the hold without getting something broken?

simple.

your fingers are being bend backwards so you need to put your hand at the base of the fingers which are getting bend, this way you push them back.

there's also another technique where you grab your own wrist and you can turn out of this.

classical chin na stuff.

Diesel_tke
9/28/2008 9:27am,
Well, if you are training for sport, they are illegal. IF you are training for street, they are impractical. If someone puts one on you, punch them in the face with the other hand.

TheMightyMcClaw
9/28/2008 9:59am,
Grab your own hand.
Particularly in the case of standing wrist locks, just grab your own hand and pull it in the other direction. If someone's doing a wrist return, pull your hand back towards you. If someone's doing a gooseneck (a standing compression lock), push up on your hand or grab your fingers to pull it free.
Also, keeping your hands in fists will make it pretty much impossible for someone to lay a wrist/finger lock on you.

patfromlogan
9/28/2008 10:13am,
Grab your own hand.
Particularly in the case of standing wrist locks, just grab your own hand and pull it in the other direction. If someone's doing a wrist return, pull your hand back towards you. If someone's doing a gooseneck (a standing compression lock), push up on your hand or grab your fingers to pull it free.
Also, keeping your hands in fists will make it pretty much impossible for someone to lay a wrist/finger lock on you.

Making a fist (and hit 'em with it) is good advice. Against someone who has small joint manipulation down, the rest of doesn't make sense (again, against someone who has it down) because you'll either have broken fingers/wrist/elbow/shoulder/neck (going all the way from tiny bones to big ones, it's all exactly the same thing).

In decades of ma, I've only know two people who have these skills. One a 4th Dan Shorinji Kempo, and one a Shihan from Kosho Shorie Ryu Kempo, and of these two, only the 4th Dan could really use them easily in hard sparring. In practical terms, you won't usually need to know much about resisting finger locks because no one you'll ever spar or fight knows how to use them.

So in practice in class you might be able to "pull free" or whatever, because some n00b (and I'm including almost all black belts) will be doing them. Better idea that will help prevent injury would be to tap fast.

mike321
9/28/2008 4:22pm,
Spend a short time learning wrist and finger locks. (Remember a SHORT amount of your total training.) This will help any defense needed, then get back to the rest of your training.

Side question for any law enforcement: when detained individuals in various locks change their mind and resist, how effective are the locks at stopping the resistance? Do you often have to complete the breaking action?

BackFistMonkey
9/28/2008 4:52pm,
They're mocked because there are entire systems built around a flimsy group of techniques that have very little chance of success yet all the fucking horny tit sucking spastic monkeys that beat off to every ninja movie thinks they're the ****.

Simple answer:
Don't let them grab your fingers.

If they grab your fingers you grab yours too.

Now go sit in the corner and masturbate over that.

If someone is serious about breaking my fingers in the process of trying **** me up ... they can have a dislocated/broken finger or two . Chances are I will or have already broken something on my hand on my own , on them .

Wrist locks will bring about a little more serious defense from me . While grabbing your own hand you can usually add a casual elbow or four to their face in the struggle .

If this is on the ground to maintain or gain dominant position their will be some mounting and elbows raining from the heavens by what seems to look like a Minor Sadistic Monkey God , that is if small joint manipulation is all they have going for them .

So ... yeah I am sure it has been said already , don't let them lock you out . **** them up while they try weird and exotic 2 on 1's .

FictionPimp
9/28/2008 5:03pm,
I advocate punching with the free hand, or with the free legs. Seriously, it's not too hard in my experience to not let someone grab your hand. When I teach guys wrist locks, I show them how easy it is to not get put there. Now on the ground, it's a lot harder to avoid, but still easy.

First, fists are harder to lock then open hands. Pulling your hands back fast to a proper guard renders 95% of the wrist locks impotent. Hell, even when I have a guys entire arm isolated on the ground it can be hard to wrist lock him, this should really not be a problem to defend.

patfromlogan
9/28/2008 7:12pm,
I once was grabbed and used a lock and when the guy kept trying to hit me, fucked up his wrist (as his face went to the concrete). If someone has a lock on you and knows what they are doing (like I said above, no one does), you are just fucked. Trying to hit them might encourage them to dislocate your shoulder instead of your finger. But it won't happen. Probably. Unless you grab some one with JJJ type training, who'd never attack you anyway.

So I guess the OP's question, whatever it was, had to do with stuff happening in class?

BackFistMonkey
9/28/2008 7:44pm,
I once was grabbed and used a lock and when the guy kept trying to hit me, fucked up his wrist (as his face went to the concrete). If someone has a lock on you and knows what they are doing (like I said above, no one does), you are just fucked. Trying to hit them might encourage them to dislocate your shoulder instead of your finger. But it won't happen. Probably. Unless you grab some one with JJJ type training, who'd never attack you anyway.

So I guess the OP's question, whatever it was, had to do with stuff happening in class?
It doesn't take a JJJ black belt to crank on fingers . Sinking a lock on a real threat is hard ... I know your type you don't fight fair anyway .