PDA

View Full Version : hello there

Pages : [1] 2

robbmaster
9/24/2008 12:21pm,
Hi, I am new here.

I take ninjitsu and love it. Looking forward to browsing here.

BJJbot
9/24/2008 12:22pm,
BULL RUSH ON robbmaster!!!

BudoMonkey
9/24/2008 12:25pm,
Okay, cool. Welcome to bullshido.

Two questions, for the sake of introductions:
What is the name of your school and do they have a website?

Do you spar?

JudOWNED
9/24/2008 12:28pm,
Just curious... What made you decide to post at bullshido? Are you familiar with the mission of the site? With it's general tone and (for lack of a better word) culture? With the purposes of the different forums?

At any rate, welcome!

DKJr
9/24/2008 12:30pm,
Welcome , and hope your (brief) stay with us is pleasant.

robbmaster
9/24/2008 12:46pm,
what does it mean bullrush?

I am currently at college and am not in training at this time.
I have sparred people from lots of styles and they all were cool.

TheRuss
9/24/2008 12:53pm,
I am currently at college and am not in training at this time.

All right, put the question into past tense.

"What is the name of your last school and do they have a website?"

I have another question to add:

How long did you spend at said school, and how many hours a week did you train during that time?

Snake Plissken
9/24/2008 12:53pm,
Okay, cool. Welcome to bullshido.

Two questions, for the sake of introductions:
What is the name of your school and do they have a website?

Do you spar?
that's three questions.

But yes, Rob, please answer them.

JudOWNED
9/24/2008 1:16pm,
I'm really curious to see the answers to my questions too.

TheRuss
9/24/2008 1:17pm,
I'm really curious to see the answers to my questions too.

They're foundational questions, but I'm expecting #2, #3, and #4 to be met with incorrect "Yes"es.

robbmaster
9/25/2008 7:44am,
judo dog

I saw some videos on the google searc I did. I watchedthem and thought the place was coolu ntil I saw all the trashing that ninjitsu gets. I understand thatthe site tries to find people who are liars and frauds.
The tones of this place is harsh at best. Noone respects the older styles of martial art.
All of the different forums are for different things so people of like minds can share ideas.

Why are you guys wondering where i trained?
where do you train and where is there website?

odysseus_dallas
9/25/2008 8:34am,
Problem is, mate, they'll be more than glad to oblige, so that's not much of a counterargument.

And from what's been said over and over, to give you the short story, ninjutsu is as much a martial art as the tai chi the chinese practice to cure arthritis.

And forums are also for people to clash together (in a comprehensive, at least, if not courteous manner) and something better to be born. That's the mentality, and it has three possible outcomes:

1)Find out that you're right. Strengthen your beliefs. You win.
2)Find out that you're wrong. Correct your beliefs. You win.
3)You're not willing to go either way. Nobody wins.

What's your outcome going to be?

BudoMonkey
9/25/2008 8:44am,
American Top Team - www.americantopteam.com

It was just a question, dude. We'll ask anyone new where they train, as a matter of curiousity just to get some background on you. All your first post says is "I train ninjitsu". Did you read it out of a book? That statement can mean alot of different things, and it's perfectly reasonable to ask a little more about it. I think it's a fairly reasonable inquiry. It's not a question directed to specifically uproot any negative information about your style.

However, the other question I asked; "Do you spar?", was.

Now you say that we don't have respect the older styles, which is not true at all - your misunderstanding. We care first and foremost about effectiveness, is all. Noone is going to chase you away from here because of what style/school you attend, they will only attempt to offer constructive insight from what they have seen during their time in the martial arts that will hopefully point you in the best direction possible.

Now, for the sake of moving forward- do you spar?

pauli
9/25/2008 9:43am,
The tones of this place is harsh at best. Noone respects the older styles of martial art.
as a point of order, people on this site do respect the older styles - wrestling and boxing are the oldest styles known, and are generally considered to be shining examples of high quality training. however, that's the thing - we respect them because they are high quality training, not because they're really fucking old.

we've got no trouble with people who want to do things in obsolete, antiquated ways for their own amusement; this forum has plenty of reenactors of various sorts, and nobody here argues against the practice of koryu as koryu.

what we do have trouble with is people who advocate for doing things in an old way simply because it's old, and then claim it to be effective without backing it up. some things are tried and true. a jab will always be a jab; a breakfall will always be a breakfall. we accept these things, however, due to continual verification - not as blind faith. this site has no respect for blind faith in martial arts. something is either rigorously tested, or it's bullshit.

that is what causes the general views here of certain styles. you've seen the end result; we just want you to understand the process and the reasoning. it's how we hope to make the world a deadlier place.

odysseus_dallas
9/25/2008 9:51am,
...and thus a better one.

By the way, I suggest you shouldn't use reenactors when referring to anybody trying to resurrect a lost martial art, whether western or eastern. It has a bad ring to it as far as martial prowess is concerned, especially among us western advocates.

pauli
9/25/2008 9:57am,
yes, but i don't care what you think :)

seriously, it's the best term i've found for encompassing everything from historical european stickwavers to koryu freaks to bartitsu reimaginers to cowboy action shooters.