PDA

View Full Version : Cool Self Defense site

Pages : [1] 2

WhiteShark
12/13/2003 1:33pm,
I've seen Don Rearic's name mentioned a few times on this site but I never really explored his reputation much. I stumbled accross his site today and thought you guys might be interested in the articles. There is an extraordinary number of unique weapon based self defense applications. Also I love the disclaimer at the site entrance. Check it out:

http://www.donrearic.com

Let me know what you guys think.

blankslate
12/13/2003 2:03pm,
thanks

Jolly_Roger
12/13/2003 2:54pm,
Thanks, WitheShark!
It IS quite cool!
(And the "covert edged weapons history" article is ultra cool, almost blade level)

Disaster Master
12/13/2003 3:00pm,
Thatís a combatives site if Iím not mistaken. I donít believe a short course on military H2H works in the real world. The combatives people incorporate a psychological aspect to the training but Iím skeptical of that too. I think combatives is better than nothing and most TMA but why stop after a few classes?

grimel
12/13/2003 3:28pm,
Of course the actual WWII era H2H course was MUCH longer and proven to not work in combat.

Perfection
12/13/2003 3:40pm,
I'm surprised the combat sport fighters in here aren't outraged by this.

http://www.donrearic.com/brokenglass.html

Disaster Master
12/13/2003 3:57pm,
Originally posted by grimel
Of course the actual WWII era H2H course was MUCH longer and proven to not work in combat.
Is that true?

Disaster Master
12/13/2003 4:02pm,
Originally posted by Perfection
I'm surprised the combat sport fighters in here aren't outraged by this.

http://www.donrearic.com/brokenglass.html
Boring!

A USMC H2H expert lasted less than 30 seconds against Mark Kerr, nuff said!

Perfection
12/13/2003 4:06pm,
Originally posted by Disaster Master
Boring!

A USMC H2H expert lasted less than 30 seconds against Mark Kerr, nuff said!

If I remember that correctly, didn't the guy try to "bullrush" Mark Kerr and got knocked out by a knee? If so, he was by no means an expert at anything.

Disaster Master
12/13/2003 4:16pm,
Originally posted by Perfection
he was by no means an expert at anything.
Obviously not at fighting, but I think he was a H2H instructor in the USMC.

Perfection
12/13/2003 4:25pm,
I agree that he was a horrible fighter. But what type of H2H instructors was he? He could've been one of the LINE instructors or even one of the BJJ people who currently instructs the Marines.

Disaster Master
12/13/2003 4:28pm,
I donít want to pick on the guy he still had the guts to step in the octagon and I respect that.

HAPKO3
12/13/2003 4:32pm,
typical crap.

udo
12/13/2003 5:56pm,
http://www.donrearic.com/tomyfriendsintheunitedkingdom.html

Are the points that he brings up here true? If so, that's just crazy.

fernando
12/13/2003 6:04pm,
thanks for the laugh!

Beneath Contempt
12/13/2003 7:46pm,
When you ask if the points are true, are you referring to UK weapons law, or the way that crime statistics are handled?

He is correct, UK law is very tough on possession of any weapon, and self-defence law is extremely badly defined - often the criminal attacker ends up being clasified the "victim".

Possession of knives is a very grey area. Anything that is definetely a "knife" and not a Leatherman tool or Swiss Army knife will normally get you arrested. Kubotans will, as they have no other application than fighting - even when used as keyrings. There is a famous case of a guy going in his fromt door when a policeman saw he had a kubotan as a keyring and he was arrested.

You may not keep a baseball bat in your premises unless accompanied by a ball. You may be charged with possession of an offensive weapon if you keep a brick by your bedside with no reasonable explanation.

Contractors carrying tools home from work, if searched, could be in trouble if knives/chisels etc are not kept in tool cases (i.e are on the person).

It goes without saying that things like stun guns and mace are totally prohibited. In fact chemical sprays are classed as firearms.

So the UK is a fairly heavy place to live with regard to self-defence - but then we have a largely unarmed police force and non-drug related gun crime is extremely low.

As for the crime statistics - who knows? It depends which political point you are trying to make at which time, I expect.