PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

asev0
9/20/2008 3:13am,
Newb here, just checking this place out.

My name's Stephanie and my experience is pretty erratic as I'm at the whims of money. I studied karate for 3 years, stopped for a year, and then did judo just this last year in college. Money problems have forced me to take a year off classes to work, but I'm looking to get back into studying -some- kind of martial art. I don't know which, yet, but maybe I'll find some inspiration (and a good dojo) here.

Cheers.

GhostOfKimura
9/20/2008 3:14am,
We knew you could do it! asev0 posted, YAY! And if a bot is this rude, just imagine harsh this is gonna be. Hope you're wearing a thick gi.

Frank White
9/20/2008 3:16am,
Hello there, Steph! (can I call you Steph?)

So, whereabouts might you be attending college?

asev0
9/20/2008 3:30am,
I go (went?) to Reed College in Portland, OR. Unfortunately, I'm back home in Southern California (Orange County, to be more precise) until next fall or so.

And yes, you can call me Steph.

Frank White
9/20/2008 3:48am,
Orange County, you don't say! I myself attended Fullerton!

Have you considered studying the fine art of Chinese Boxing?

Many instructors are considerate of the financial hardships students face, and base tuition on other factors.

hpr
9/20/2008 4:16am,
If you liked it just continue judo. It's cheap and practical!

asev0
9/20/2008 4:47am,
Haha, yeah. I had a lot of fun with judo, though I'm not entirely sure I want to keep doing just grappling.

Chinese Boxing also sounds rather appealing. Really, I'm open to about any style, right now. What it comes down to, for me, is finding a good place that I can afford. Good means a lot of things, but in particular I'd like quality instructors with high expectations who are serious about teaching what they know. Still vague, but I think it rules out a lot of places I'm finding online.

So if you have anything particular in mind, I'll definitely check it out. I've been reading the reviews here and looking online, but the whole process seems rather hit or miss.

Frank White
9/20/2008 5:08am,
If you liked it just continue judo. It's cheap and practical!

Does judo teach you how to shut your stupid face?

Ignore him, Steph, he's a bit slow.

Again you bring up the issue of money. Understandable, these are hard times economically, especially for a young college student. And yet you seem determined, eager, to learn. Devotion to ones master is a trait lost on many in these modern times, it might be you need guidance. I might just be able to help you, Steph. But you must trust me.

hpr
9/20/2008 6:24am,

No. It teaches how to shut your stupid face.

asev0
9/20/2008 3:40pm,

Ignore him, Steph, he's a bit slow.

Hm. Being a noob, I told myself I would refrain from giving my opinions on things for at least awhile. Ah well, this is newbietown.

I do believe judo is cheap, but practical really depends on your definition. A lot of people feel like many martial arts are not 'practical self-defense', especially if a someone only studies it for a few years. So no, perhaps judo is not practical. But just like any other style, it does have a number of things that would be highly effective in an actual fight.

I'm by no means good at judo, but I did learn a lot. Ultimately, I'm glad I did it because it's improved my awareness of my opponent's weight and momentum. That, and it was the first time I really did grappling. And damned if getting a submission isn't extremely satisfying.

But as I mentioned, I'd prefer going back to a style that emphasized strikes, I guess. (Uh oh, it's becoming more obvious I don't know what I'm talking about...) Moving on, then.

Again you bring up the issue of money. Understandable, these are hard times economically, especially for a young college student. And yet you seem determined, eager, to learn. Devotion to ones master is a trait lost on many in these modern times, it might be you need guidance. I might just be able to help you, Steph. But you must trust me.

I wouldn't say I'm the most mistrusting person in the world, but I've been on the internet too long to take anything someone says on a forum all that seriously. Forgive me, but I'm unsure if you're joking. If you are sincere, I don't have a problem making a jump into something unknown. How much I trust you is a different matter, as I feel that's something to be earned.

Frank White
9/20/2008 3:54pm,
Don't take anything I say seriously. I'm usually drunk.

Trust me.

asev0
9/20/2008 4:05pm,
Ah, good to know.

Frank White
9/20/2008 4:12pm,
Sometimes I post under the name "Lily".

I like to play with Calico Critters.

animlmthr
9/20/2008 7:55pm,
Sometimes I post under the name "Lily".

I like to play with Calico Critters.
your scaring me, Mr Frank White sir.

What's up asev0! Welcome and beware of the creepy guys lurking around here!
Also, I'm sure you can find a cheap dojo somewhere or even a Judo club at a local UC maybe?

:pancakebu

PANCAKE BUNNY!!!
hehe