PDA

View Full Version : Triangle- pain compliance or choke?

Pages : [1] 2

MadeOfOlives
12/12/2003 2:24pm,
Do people generally tap from the triangle choke because they feel that they're about to pass out, or because it feels like there neck might break? Part of the difference seems to arise from the use of the hands on the back of the person's head or not. This is generally done in BJJ after the legs are locked in to add extra pressure, while it is done less in judo. However, in my limited experience I have only seen someone pass out from a triangle without the neck pressure being applied. Which seems more efficient?

ec

The Wastrel
12/12/2003 2:26pm,
Choke. I don't feel any pressure on the neck vertebrae or anything similar.

MMA_Phil
12/12/2003 2:28pm,
It's a choke.

Little Idea
12/12/2003 2:29pm,
It is a choke. You will sleep.

It probably won't hurt much at all unless the guy has no game or else really doesn't like you

SunTzu
12/12/2003 2:38pm,
Choke.

jaychiu
12/12/2003 2:46pm,
It's a blood choke as opposed to an airway passage choke. It's cutting off blood to the brain by putting pressure on the sides of the neck. I've gotten lighthead, and a headache after, from it from trying to fight out of it. You could passout from it.

Pulling the head down just puts more pressure on the neck. It's not a crank or anything.

The Wastrel
12/12/2003 2:47pm,
I've never needed to pull the head.

Shuma-Gorath
12/12/2003 2:55pm,
Depends if I like the guy or not :D. But yes, it's a choke. The reason the opponent's arm is in there is so you don't put painful stress on the neck.

Last night some guy deliberately crushed my toes as I was manoeuvring my legs into position, so I decided to squeeze the choke extra hard (you know, so he was just the right shade of purple). This is the same jackass who wears his belt practically under his arms in ne-waza and stands stiff arms, hips away in tachi-waza.

MadeOfOlives
12/12/2003 3:09pm,
Actually, while I'm bringing up the topic of the triangle and being an ass... I'm a pretty small guy, but I'm flexible, so I sometimes get the side mount counter in which you push their head down and get a triangle on them. However, I have trouble finishing from there. I know that with the triangle from the guard there is often a problem with the angle, but am unsure how I would change the angle from the position of "sort of side-mounted, sort of not". Any suggestions/ was that at all intelligible?

ec

The Wastrel
12/12/2003 3:14pm,
The arm is in there to pressure the carotid.

MadeOfOlives,
I don't understand your question.

Shuma-Gorath
12/12/2003 3:18pm,
Originally posted by The Wastrel
The arm is in there to pressure the carotid.

Yes, but also prevents the neck from experiencing the kind of force you would put on it in a straight legscissor. My judo instructor's exact words were "you have to keep the arm in there or you're gonna break his neck".

Raven
12/12/2003 3:19pm,
Must have never had it put on me right.

I always tapped out from pain. I was worried they were groing to break my neck.

The Wastrel
12/12/2003 3:20pm,
Shuma,
If the arm's not in, the head just comes out.

Shuma-Gorath
12/12/2003 3:22pm,
Shuma,
If the arm's not in, the head just comes out.

Probably true. Either way I don't scissor-choke people.

The Wastrel
12/12/2003 3:23pm,
Scissor choke? I thought we were talking about the triangle.

Shuma-Gorath
12/12/2003 3:28pm,
Scissor choke? I thought we were talking about the triangle.

Yeah, we are. A scissor would be where the legs are crossed at the ankles and you only have the guy's head, as opposed to the triangle's figure-4 and arm trap.