PDA

View Full Version : The jitters.

chrischance
9/10/2008 1:40pm,
I don't know where else to post this, but of all the things I've done, nothing has fazed me like this has.
I've been on the tatami with lunatics and I've jumped out of aircraft, but this has given me the jitters.
I have read many times that book signings are a waste of time and effort.
My books have been on the market for 3 years and I have never done a signing. That is about to change because on the first weekend of October I am doing my first signing at Borders in Liverpool (near John Lennon airport). The staff at Borders tell me that True-Crime/Martial-arts goes down well in Liverpool and not to worry about sitting alone at the signing table.
I did a recce last week to see a woman sitting alone amongst a stack of her books... zilch... fanny adamsl! Oh, Christ almighty, what have I let myself in for.
Wish me luck guys.
Chris.

TKDBot
9/10/2008 1:41pm,
We knew you could do it! chrischance posted, YAY! And if a bot is this rude, just imagine harsh this is gonna be. Hope you're wearing a thick gi.

BackFistMonkey
9/10/2008 2:40pm,
I am sure a large number of posters have no idea what the hell you are talking about or who you are ... let's get a little back ground information and whatnot .

All I got out of your post is that you are scared of the pimply faced geeks at Borders .

I don't know where else to post this, but of all the things I've done, nothing has fazed me like this has.
I've been on the tatami with lunatics and I've jumped out of aircraft, but this has given me the jitters.
My books have been on the market for 3 years and I have never done a signing. That is about to change because on the first weekend of October I am doing my first signing at Borders in Liverpool (near John Lennon airport). The staff at Borders tell me that True-Crime/Martial-arts goes down well in Liverpool and not to worry about sitting alone at the signing table.
I did a recce last week to see a woman sitting alone amongst a stack of her books... zilch... fanny adamsl! Oh, Christ almighty, what have I let myself in for.
Wish me luck guys.
Chris.

P.S.

Welcome to Bullshido , I am seriously looking forward to hearing more about this situation .

chrischance
9/11/2008 7:22am,
Hi BackFistMonkey, the geeks don't bother me, I'm only worried if they don't appear on the day. I feel much better now because I've had a few calls from martial-arts blokes who would like signed copies of my books. A few military and 4x4s blokes as well, so things are looking better.
Martial-arts saved my life in prison, so I write about it and fortunately I got published. This is what I do now. I'm not smart with my PC but I do have a website.
I'll tell you about about the signing after the event. Thanks for the welcome. Chris.

slideyfoot
9/11/2008 5:05pm,

Out of interest, how did the book signing come about? Was it a matter of the publisher calling you up, suggesting a book signing to boost sales, or something else?

Best of luck - if you ever happen to do a signing in London, I'll try and pop along.

Asriel
9/11/2008 5:17pm,
This sounds like either a 'please suck my plums' thread or blatent advertising.

BackFistMonkey
9/11/2008 5:21pm,
This sounds like either a 'please suck my plums' thread or blatent advertising.
Yeah but lets play along and see if we miss judged ... if we didn't we can sneakily ask a mod to toss it into YMAS .

:headbang:

slideyfoot
9/11/2008 5:24pm,
Well, at least it wasn't his first post (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=75688): Chris put up a proper intro thread, after all. If it is indeed the guy from this website (http://www.chrischance.co.uk/), sounded interesting enough.

animlmthr
9/11/2008 6:56pm,
Wish me luck guys.
Chris.

huh?

now I get it. Just sit there and sign books! It should be easy money, right?

BackFistMonkey
9/11/2008 7:35pm,
Well, at least it wasn't his first post (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=75688): Chris put up a proper intro thread, after all. If it is indeed the guy from this website (http://www.chrischance.co.uk/), sounded interesting enough.

That was basically my train of thought on this one . I was trying to encourage him to open up a little and explain WTF he is talking about because it sounded like something I might one day give a **** about reading .

but if his book is written in that " oh you know " style of writing like his posts ... I don't think I will be enjoying it ( or reading it ) much :( ...

chrischance
9/15/2008 7:56am,
Hi guys, what the hell can I say?
animlmthr: there's no easy money anywhere.
slideyfoot: yes, that is my website.
asriel: 'sucking plums' is not on my agenda. 'Blatant advertising' isn't either. The Random House Group is one of the biggest publishers in the world and have their own international sales and marketing force. Advertising from me is like pissing in the Pacific to make it deeper.
BackFistMonkey: if my writing style is anything like it is in my posts, I would never have been published. You don't need to buy the books to form your opinion, just go to amazon.co.uk and you can read the reviews and synopsis. Some are ****, some are good. As long as my royalties cheques keep coming I really don't care a flying bollock.
I come on this forum to relax and enjoy threads. I don't chip in every time I visit and now I realise I must think hard before I do.

sochin101
9/15/2008 8:22am,
^ I like him.

He doesn't care a flying bollock.

BackFistMonkey
9/15/2008 3:28pm,
No need to fear or be hesitant to post .

Just tell the truth and post away ! It isn't all that hard or dangerous ( unless you start bullshitting and have a real thin skin , then it might be emo-suicide time ) .

I am actually looking forward reading and posting with you in other forums . Thanks for the info to help guide us the preview .

Hi guys, what the hell can I say?
animlmthr: there's no easy money anywhere.
slideyfoot: yes, that is my website.
asriel: 'sucking plums' is not on my agenda. 'Blatant advertising' isn't either. The Random House Group is one of the biggest publishers in the world and have their own international sales and marketing force. Advertising from me is like pissing in the Pacific to make it deeper.
BackFistMonkey: if my writing style is anything like it is in my posts, I would never have been published. You don't need to buy the books to form your opinion, just go to amazon.co.uk and you can read the reviews and synopsis. Some are ****, some are good. As long as my royalties cheques keep coming I really don't care a flying bollock.
I come on this forum to relax and enjoy threads. I don't chip in every time I visit and now I realise I must think hard before I do.

Ironwing
9/15/2008 9:50pm,
Yeah let us know how the signing went, if you're getting fan calls before you show up it shouldn't be too terribly dismal.

Vorpal
9/15/2008 10:31pm,
Get a copy of my book and read it while you're sitting alone. At least you'll be entertained (mildly).