PDA

View Full Version : Injuries sustained

Pages : [1] 2 3

Over the Hill
9/07/2008 6:43pm,
As Im sitting here at work between calls, very bored, it occured to me that it might be very ineresting to hear about the injuries people have sustained in their martial arts training/ fitness training and or real violence. What and how it happened would be useful? How long did it take to recover etc?

hungryjoe
9/07/2008 6:50pm,
Separated CS joint - judo this year

Trashed finger joint - judo this year

Crushed sternum - judo a long time ago

Knees - hell they both need surgery but I'm holding off as long as I can. Result of many years playing hard and having fun.

Fractured rib - TKD a lifetime ago

Broken hand - break gone bad.

Elbows - same as knees - worn out and should have tapped sooner many times.

Concussions/KOs - don't get me started and probably in large part why I'm dumber than ever.

Right rotator cuff - kinda waiting to get surgery on that also. A bad fall years ago and flying armbar gone bad (see separated CS joint). Can't believe I originally left this out as it's the most problematic today.

Enough stitches to make a small quilt - fights over the years a long time ago

Broken heart - ok, not MA related but it hurt more than any of the others

STILL RECOVERING FROM ALL BUT THE BROKEN HEART

Wondering when I'll have to start using a walker for assistance - old age is really going to hurt in the coming years.

hungryjoe
9/07/2008 6:53pm,
OTH - how about you?

Mas
9/07/2008 6:58pm,
All from Judo

Separated shoulder: Bad fall, took 2 mos. to start to do stuff again
Broken hand: Freak incident, never quite the same
Partially slipped disc: Nagging injury from baseball, what happens when you don't strengthen your back well enough, a bent over seoi-nage.
2 broken pinky toes: They got stuck in the mat, happens to everyone
More sprains than I could care to recount

Over the Hill
9/07/2008 7:21pm,
my worst injuries (excluding black eyes minor sprains etc):
*Broken arm 3 times- bad techniques, impacts, months in plaster each time.
*Broken ribs times 2: bad landings after throws during public demonstrations
*Dislocated foot, bad impact at angle during sparring (probably most painful)
*Fractured clavicle, after thrown on hard surface with opponent landing on me same time
*Fractured sternum after being stomped on during multiple opponent training (months to heal) very annoying injury.
* Bad hamstring tears 2 times, once from jumping axe kick, once from sprint training. Still some lack of flexibility after many years since the last time
* Broken nose, jyu kumite in karate
* KO and fractured cheekbone, karate kumite
* KOs times 3 other, boxing sparring, Karate gradings and once actual attack whilst on duty, resulting in concussion and whiplash
* Broken fingers many times, stupid bloody hitting things
* Chipped bone left elbow, throw to hard surface (public demo again)
* Impact Bursitis comes and goes right elbow from throws
* Scary eye bruising from stab by rubber knife into eye socket during training (had been wearing eye protection but then removed it due fogging.)

The more I write the more I remember but they all have a few things in common:
Stupid techniques, trying to meet greater force at right angles and above all landing hard and out of control on hard surfaces. Im good at blocking with my head too.
Had plenty of the normal overtraining type injuries such as shin splints etc, knee problems.
The other danger area for me is showing off at public demos. I wont do it anymore.

Over the Hill
9/07/2008 7:33pm,
Wondering when I'll have to start using a walker for assistance - old age is really going to hurt in the coming years.

Im a bit worried about my future in that regard too, Some people seem to fall apart when they stop training. Therefore never stop training (in some format).
Ive become very safety conscious the last ten years or so, mainly because of litigation and insurance etc etc. I

MarkyMark
9/07/2008 7:35pm,
I stubbed my toe once...It bent right back...no really it did.

I picked my nose while watching a grading and it bled.

Very nasty paper cut while reading my syllabus (5 days to heal)

I got a verucca from a mat-Still have it, I think iit might be permanent:(

Over the Hill
9/07/2008 7:38pm,
Excellent....
I forgot that I got vomited on once in class, that was horrific

1point2
9/07/2008 7:42pm,
All from karate--but includes throws and rolling. Put together, it's really not much.

Rotator cuff issues--that's the big one. Lots of broken toes.

At one point, I had only 3 functional fingers (but some were from Ultimate, not karate). Shin looks like a drunkard trying to walk a line. Unknown temporary (3 month) knee issue. Bruised heel (sounds like no biggie, but it hurt to walk for 6 months).

Never broken a major bone.

And not an injury, just weird--my knees, toes, ankles, elbows, back, and neck all sound like packing bubble-wrap. Getting up is noisy.

hungryjoe
9/07/2008 7:51pm,
I'll just keep editing my original post on this thread.

As you guys keep posting, it's one of those "oh yeah, been there and done that too" type of things.

OTH - you're right on about keeping with the training. If we ever stop, all of this will come back on us withing a couple of years.

Strange enougth, although I've had my jaw jacked several times where I knew it was just short of broken, I've never had a broken nose.

Tempting fate surely for even mentioning this,

Joe

Over the Hill
9/07/2008 7:56pm,
Actually it wasnt supposed to turn into a been there done that thing, more interested in seeing if there common trends in peoples experience, and hearing from people who are professional fighters etc, looking at the types of training that are most dangerous.
Already got the impression that being thrown is more hazardous in general training than being hit?

hungryjoe
9/07/2008 8:18pm,
Actually it wasnt supposed to turn into a been there done that thing, more interested in seeing if there common trends in peoples experience, and hearing from people who are professional fighters etc, looking at the types of training that are most dangerous.
Already got the impression that being thrown is more hazardous in general training than being hit?

Other than the pulled ligaments (sorry - been there and done that also), I really think you have something there regarding the injuries from being thrown.

Clean breaks to bones heal.

It is the joints that will never truly be the same after a serious injury.

Having said that, surely being hit in the head repeatedly will also cause long term damage.

Maybe it's a wash. Those crippling about later in life from broken down bodies and those who sit watching reruns and stuffing their faces while fighting obesity and or diabetes. Guess who gets the "handicap" sticker?

Still - we're having fun now.

MarkyMark
9/07/2008 8:37pm,
I've never had a broken nose.

Tempting fate surely for even mentioning this,

Joe

I can't believe it has lasted so long!!!! A virgin nose!!!! Make sure you tell us when you bust your cherry:) After that comment it will likely be inside the next 48 hours!!!!

Frank White
9/07/2008 8:45pm,
I've always wanted a chipped tooth, I think they look cool. I even mentioned the fact to my girlfriend.

That night, I was hit in the head repeatedly with a mag flashlight. A tooth in the back of my mouth was chipped on the inside.

I should have been more specific.

hungryjoe
9/07/2008 8:53pm,
Frank - usually it is LEOs doing damage with mag flashlights.

Care to enlighten us on your stupidity (what the hell did you do?).

God damn line of D cell batteries wrapped in anodized aluminum. Worse than the fat end of a break down pool cue.

MarkyMark
9/07/2008 9:00pm,
Frank - usually it is LEOs doing damage with mag flashlights.

Well..when it's dark you wave your flashlight around and it bumps into things. Then when you finally get it pointed at the thing you were bumping it's bleeding on the floor.-We aren't perfect you know.