PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Lee and JKD

Pages : [1] 2

Ronin1979
9/06/2008 6:58am,
From what I found out is JKD was of course started with Bruce Lee obviously but before that it was called Jun Fan Gung fu. Jun Fan is Bruces real name from what i found out which consists of Wing Chung, Fencing and Kick Boxing. I learned that Bruces style he first learned was Wing chung and maybe Tai Chi by some chinese man named YipMan or something like that. But I heard he got kicked out of that school cause he was not fully chinese.

Ronin1979
9/06/2008 7:00am,
When he died he gave his schools to Dan Inosanto

NJM
9/06/2008 2:35pm,
No, Bruce Lee taught Jun Fan Gung Fu. Jeet Kun Do was his philosophy.

DerAuslander
9/06/2008 4:11pm,
You're both wrong.

NJM
9/06/2008 5:37pm,
You're both wrong.
How so?

Rask
9/07/2008 3:12am,
From what I found out is JKD was of course started with Bruce Lee obviously but before that it was called Jun Fan Gung fu. Jun Fan is Bruces real name from what i found out which consists of Wing Chung, Fencing and Kick Boxing. I learned that Bruces style he first learned was Wing chung and maybe Tai Chi by some chinese man named YipMan or something like that. But I heard he got kicked out of that school cause he was not fully chinese.

Bruce Lee originally trained in Wing Chun Kung Fu in Hong Kong under Yip Man, the grandmaster. He was introduced to Wing Chun by William Cheung, the current grandmaster of the World Wing Chun Association. Bruce had to leave Hong Kong because he got into a streetfight and badly hurt the other guy, and his father feared for his safety and thus sent him to the USA.

Bruce tought 'Jun Fan Gung Fu' (literally, 'Bruce Lee's Gung Fu'), which was modified Wing Chun. He later developed the philosophy of Jeet Kune Do, which was basically the philosophy of having no strict set of rules or forms or limitations and learning as much as you can. Nowadays there are JKD schools, which essentially teach Jun Fan Gung Fu but with the flexibility of the JKD philosophy, or at least that is my understanding.

pmosiun
9/12/2008 4:27am,
Jeet kune do is western sword fencing, without the sword.

Jun Fan gung fu is basically modified wing chun gung fu, they practice chi sao, wooden dummy, the first wing chun form. Jeet kune do is basically a form of kickboxing with strategy from fencing. they practice using focus glove, spar with kickboxing gear, hitting the punching bag, speed bag. it is just a form of kickboxing.

There are three types of certificate given by Bruce Lee when he was alive, tao of chinese gung fu, given mainly to famous actors, jun fan gung fu, only the assistant teacher to the school were ever given, taky kimura, james yimm lee and dan inosanto, the jeet kune do certificate are given to private backyard student. The problem by saying that dan inosanto is the chosen one to teach bruce lee art does not make sense since taky out rank him.

Jeet Kune Do means Stop hit. jeet means intercepting, kune means fist, do means the way. Stop hit or attack the attack. Simple, direct and straight to the point, hit to stop the attacker, hit the attacker before they can hit you first, beat them to the punch. It is an art. Jeet kune do like all striking art has flaws, even a beginner grappler can easily beat a jeet kune do guy.

for proof of jeet kune do, just read bruce lee fighting method, tao of jeet kune do, bruce lee library jeet kune do vol 3 by john little, it looks not like a blend of martial art but a form of kickboxing with strategy from fencing, for proof of jun fan gung fu, read wing chun kung fu by james yimm lee, bruce lee library tao of chinese gung fu vol 2 by john little, and chinese gung fu by bruce lee. it looks like modified wing chun gung fu.

jeet kune do is basically kickboxing with the power hand forward. it is just a stand up ma or striking art. jkd biggest flaw is grappling because it is basically kickboxing with the power side forward. bruce lee might create jeet kune do because he has seen the limitation of a style such as wing chun, even a modified wing chun gung fu. if you think about it, jeet kune do exist before american kickboxing and muay thai in america, technically, jeet kune do is the original american kickboxing.

ajaxman
9/16/2008 1:46pm,
Jeet Kune Do is a name that Bruce Lee made about what he conveyed and showed. Also, like he said "Don't make too much of a big fuzz about the name."

paulmn pretty much described what is the basic structure (stand up fights) to start from when it comes to JKD. However, the idea of JKD is not to be limited at that, but to also work at all ranges even grappling. An FYI, one of Bruce Lee's students, Larry Hartsell (RIP), was deep into the grappling area way back in late 60's. Also, Bruce Lee also worked out along with Gene LeBell plus other judokas in the area of grappling.

The thing with JKD is that you gotta have an open-mind and be willing to evolve just like he did: How his Martial Arts evolved can be seen when you train with his original Seattle students (Taky Kimura, Jesse Glover and Jim DeMile) as well with his L.A. students (Dan Inosanto and Ted Wong). You may not think that they were trained by the same instructor: the Seattle core may still be doing trappings and chi-sao from Wing Chun Kung Fu (please correct me if I am wrong) while his L.A. students emphasize more on footwork (especially Ted Wong).

Bruce Lee's idea is to evolve, not for the sake of evolving, but for the sake of becoming a better and more complete fighter.

DerAuslander
9/16/2008 2:01pm,
Evolving may have been Bruce's idea, but that's not JKD.

There's a reason why Bruce closed his schools & gave up the name JKD. Even Jeet Kune Do is itself a limitation.

You have to move beyond pseudophilosophical understanding of Bruce's statements in order to actually grasp this process.

pmosiun
9/16/2008 2:21pm,
bruce lee should have just called his art kickboxing instead of jeet kune do, maybe kickboxing is not a cool name. bruce lee close his school because he is already famous, why have schools when you can charge more for private lessons, time is also very important for him.

i always thought jeet kune do is a concept, mixing martial art such as mma. after rereading jeet kune do vol 3 by john little and the bruce lee fighting method, i felt really bad, i discovered in the jeet kune do vol 3 book, the importants of footwork which is the foundation from fencing and boxing, the upper body tools which are basically boxing tools, vertical lead punch, hook punch, cross, backfist, uppercut, and the lower body tools which are your basically similar to kickboxing kicks, only 3 most commonly use kick, side, shin/knee and hook kick. i notice the bruce lee fighting method, jeet kune do is basically western boxing with influence from western fencing.

jeet kune do is technically kickboxing, add brazillian jiu jitsu, which is a complete grappling art, and you are good at both of those stand up and grappling range. expect if you wanted to add weapon. just ask the other 1st gen student of bruce lee, how many grappling technique that are teach? a couple of takedown, larry is a concept guy, the 33 grappling technique is a concept technique. brazillian jiu jitsu is more complete as a grappling art, and by saying that learning brazillian jiu jitsu is jeet kune do is disrespectfull because brazillian jiu jitsu is an actual martial art too.

jeet kune do is not developing your own style. do you guys even know what is the meaning of jeet kune do? it means stop hit, intercept, stopping the attacker at a certain gate in which bruce lee felt is more effective, attack the attack. this is the influence of western sword fencing.

jeet kune do is not developing your own style. just look at a couple of boxing match, they all have the same basic tools but all fight differently, this is what bruce lee said when everybody's jeet kune do is different. people are different. there are short people, chubby people, tall people, skinny people, strong people. different people, fight differently. some have good footwork, some have good defense, some had mike tyson power. this is what bruce lee meant by his jeet kune do is different from your jeet kune do.

1point2
9/16/2008 2:37pm,
Even Jeet Kune Do is itself a limitation.

You have to move beyond pseudophilosophical understanding of Bruce's statements in order to actually grasp this process.

Quoted for truth. Meditate on this deeply.

pmosiun
9/16/2008 3:03pm,
Jeet Kune Do is a name that Bruce Lee made about what he conveyed and showed. Also, like he said "Don't make too much of a big fuzz about the name."

It is a fuzz when people misuse it.

paulmn pretty much described what is the basic structure (stand up fights) to start from when it comes to JKD. However, the idea of JKD is not to be limited at that, but to also work at all ranges even grappling. An FYI, one of Bruce Lee's students, Larry Hartsell (RIP), was deep into the grappling area way back in late 60's. Also, Bruce Lee also worked out along with Gene LeBell plus other judokas in the area of grappling.

how can you say that he has been evolving as a martial artist but would still teach his version of modified wing chun gung fu until the oakland period?

Jesse Glover, his first student is a boxer and a judoka, he has from the start in america aware of this two martial art.

he called it jun fan gung fu because he was not given permission to teach wing chun.

The thing with JKD is that you gotta have an open-mind and be willing to evolve just like he did: How his Martial Arts evolved can be seen when you train with his original Seattle students (Taky Kimura, Jesse Glover and Jim DeMile) as well with his L.A. students (Dan Inosanto and Ted Wong). You may not think that they were trained by the same instructor: the Seattle core may still be doing trappings and chi-sao from Wing Chun Kung Fu (please correct me if I am wrong) while his L.A. students emphasize more on footwork (especially Ted Wong).

You forget about the Oakland period in which he still teach modified Wing Chun gung fu. He only started to research and change his martial art after he was not able to beat Wong Jack Man, a Long Fist guy. He discovered Wing Chun gung fu, even a modified one does not work too well in a real fight. He even found out that he was out of shape in this fight. This is the fight that started jeet kune do.

Bruce Lee's idea is to evolve, not for the sake of evolving, but for the sake of becoming a better and more complete fighter.

He only evolve after the fight with a Long Fist guy. a little known fact is that wong jack man also teach san shou beside long fist. san shou versus modified wing chun. you all know who would actually win in a fight, right?

pmosiun
9/16/2008 3:49pm,
Quoted for truth. Meditate on this deeply.

bruce lee first real fight is in oakland. he discover that wing chun does not work well in a fight. this is the real start of jeet kune do.

if you read carefully, all of the zen stuff that bruce lee said in tao of jeet kune do, he stole it from zen books and buddhism eight noble path. personally i doubt bruce actually practice any of this zen buddhism stuff.

all of the quote in the tao of jeet kune do was stolen from boxing and fencing books that bruce lee personally collected. a little known fact is that bruce lee also worship muhammad ali and one of his major influence was jack dempsey. the knowledge that boxing survive because of fencing also helps to see why Bruce look into fencing to develop his martial art.

i do realize why people still said that jeet kune do is a concept. the reason is because saying i practice jeet kune do does sounds way cooler than saying i practice mma.

jeet kune do is the coolest martial art name ever, right?

the fact is jeet kune do is nothing more than the original american kickboxing, not mixing martial art here and there.

DerAuslander
9/16/2008 4:33pm,
um.

dude...do not call my religion new age.

there's a very clear understanding of zen that bruce develops if you follow both his writing & his teaching.

pmosiun
9/16/2008 4:45pm,
um.

dude...do not call my religion new age.

there's a very clear understanding of zen that bruce develops if you follow both his writing & his teaching.

sure, most of the zen that bruce understand he stole from the hagakure or dr t suzuki. just compare it and you will find the exact same quote, bruce lee is not original.

DerAuslander
9/16/2008 5:46pm,
Dude, you don't know what you're talking about.