PDA

View Full Version : Even Nerds Know The Truth

Rivington
9/06/2008 11:12am,
http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs16/f/2007/208/e/a/Past_White_Nerd_Style_by_Exzachly.jpg

This reminds me of every student's first day in the schools I've been to -- well, as long as they were pasty white males. The women generally came to learn hippy taichi, while the dudes wanted the "real" gongfu despite apparently already knowing it!

I shudder to think what it's like for MMA schools with the popularity of that sport. What sort of nerdy misconceptions/spazziness have you all seen?

recourse
9/06/2008 11:15am,
That they can pull off the moves they've seen on tv with out any training.

Zendetta
9/06/2008 11:24am,
One time I was talking to this TUF-fanatic who didn't train.

I told him I did a little jujutsu, and he asked me "Whats yer favorite submission?" I answered "uh, armbar? What's yours?" Glowing with pride, he responded "Gogoplata!"

This was immediately after the Diaz-Gomi fight.

Double facepalm. When there's too much idiocy, and one facepalm just isn't enough.

Gabetuno
9/06/2008 11:33am,
They all think the guillotine is the answer. I've had a few newbies come in, sit guard, grab my head, and hang on to it the whole time that I pass, go to N-S, sit them up and turn for an arm bar. I like to count how many reps of this it takes them to figure out letting go might be wise.

Abi Dabi
9/06/2008 12:22pm,
They all think the guillotine is the answer.

QFT. It seems like the bigger and stronger they are, the more likely they are to hang on and try to squeeze your head off even though they don't have the choke.

Squerlli
9/06/2008 10:34pm,
I triangled and then knee barred my friend who said he did BJJ for 4 years and got a grey belt.

... yeah.

Also, look up the thread I posted about the life gaurd and BJJ for swimming.

Goju - Joe
9/06/2008 10:56pm,
a guy kept telling me the kamoro was his favorite sub.

He kept wanting to turn a drill into a roll, until I tapped him out with a wrist lock - yes a wrist lock, how humiliating for him.

NJM
9/06/2008 11:57pm,
He kept wanting to turn a drill into a roll, until I tapped him out with a wrist lock - yes a wrist lock, how humiliating for him.
Good thing you'd watched the vid.

YouTube - Wrist Locks for the Street (Volume 1) with Sammy Franco (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bDNmrFraBA)

Siniq
9/07/2008 2:30am,
Good thing you'd watched the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bDNmrFraBA
Sammy franco visit him and do the robot.I've not seen anybody too weird in my jym, but I'm new there so... Maby I'l ask around when my leg heals.

recourse
9/07/2008 2:32am,
Wouldn't the guy with the knife just punch him in the head with his free arm?

I might just be stupid since I've never been any street fights much less knife fights in the street.

hmm

Gabetuno
9/07/2008 4:56am,
- yes a wrist lock, how humiliating for him.

How humiliating for you... -10 BJJ points. You are demoted. WA WA WAAAAA.

Lebell
9/07/2008 5:12am,
ugh dont get me started about r34l life, i just had some live actiion last night.
not in a good way though.

Robdogg
9/07/2008 5:32am,
You mean she was the man?

danno
9/07/2008 5:34am,
ugh dont get me started about r34l life, i just had some live actiion last night.
not in a good way though.

c'mon, you know you're dying to tell us.

Frank White
9/07/2008 3:10pm,
Point to the dolly where he touched you, Lebell

Lebell
9/07/2008 3:34pm,
it was very dirty.
ive showered all day but still...