PDA

View Full Version : Just in time for Back to School: September is "Black Belt Kids Suck" Month

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Phrost
9/02/2008 8:34pm,
You know, sometimes this job sucks more than the people we actually make fun of.

It took 3 cans of diet Mountain Dew, a mental promise to myself quit working and go play Team Fortress, and hitting myself in the head with a copy of the Four Hour Workweek to get me to sit down and write this news item; it's that distasteful.

There's really no tactful way of saying any of this, so I'll just quote Bill Hicks and be done with it:

...Nevermind. On second though that's probably not the best quote to put on the front page of a website.

I'll just say it in my own words: Your kids suck.

But since this is a Martial Arts website, and there are a billion kids on the planet, we'll drill down a bit and be specific. Children with black belts suck.

Granted, it's obviously not the kids who are responsible for this sucking, the fault is always with the parents. But it's these very parents who've pulled jungle gyms and that awesome spinny-vomitizer thing off playgrounds, so the only way to actually get through to them is through their children. Or more specifically, by insulting their children.

Desperate times call for desperate measures, and if it takes hurting the feelings of a few hundred thousand kids to get it through to idiot parents and money-grubbing instructors that a black belt isn't a symbol of how many checks have cleared at the local McDojo, then so be it. Besides, kids shouldn't be reading this website anyway.

If your child has a black belt, it should mean that they are the Michael Phelps of fighting, not that they can count to 10 in Korean and get straight A's in class. It should mean that they have no fear of getting into a scrap at school, and not because they have the "courage" to run away and tell a responsible adult about being bullied. It means they should be able to kick the ass of a full grown, reasonably fit, 6 month BJJ white belt at a bare minimum.

Short of this, the only belt that should be involved in this equation is one that should be applied to the backsides of the parents who shut off common sense and self-respect shortly after they've spawned offspring.

Stop crapping all over thousands of years of warrior tradition so you can dump your kid off at a post-school daycare with an incidental Asian theme. We all know you really just want 90 minutes of peace and quiet while little Billy wears himself out, but you'd never admit that to your church group.

Yeah, your kids suck, but you suck much, much more.

I hope your minivans all spontaneously combust due to a previously unknown chemical reaction caused by a combination of discarded fruit loops, baby wipes, and tree-shaped air fresheners.

When your kids are at Karate practice, of course.

lionknight
9/02/2008 8:51pm,
clap - clap - clap

raises bear and makes a toast!

Their is a big difference betweeb kids and adults and it's time for parents to learn that.

hoodedmonk
9/02/2008 9:06pm,
If you don't remove this thread than my gang will be forced to take action!
http://www.charlesrawlinstaekwondo.org.au/December%202007%20Grading/Black%20Belt/P1010634.JPG

hoodedmonk
9/02/2008 9:09pm,
How can this be wrong?
http://www.sjkkarate.co.uk/PC050020.JPG

hoodedmonk
9/02/2008 9:14pm,
On a more serious note there is probably a lot of adult blackbelts who could not kick ass on a reasonably fit bjj white belt who has trained for six months.

Demon Eyes
9/02/2008 9:15pm,
If defeating a BJJ white belt is a requirement, you can then remove the black belt and status from every mcdojo adult as well. Even the instructors.

hornyhobo
9/02/2008 9:15pm,
I was wondering when this news item would be written, and I can't say I was disappointed. In defense of the parents, some of them probably think their children are actually good martial artists, or that they can't really "use" what they know till they are older.

Personally, it always pissed me off to see a bunch of little kids doing low kicks whilst yelling "HAYYYYA", or resting after their 5th girl pushup, trying to pretend they're just adjusting their black belts.

Phrost
9/02/2008 9:17pm,
If defeating a BJJ white belt is a requirement, you can then remove the black belt and status from every mcdojo adult as well. Even the instructors.

Nothing wrong with this.

partyboy
9/02/2008 9:27pm,
clap - clap - clap

raises bear and makes a toast!

Their is a big difference betweeb kids and adults and it's time for parents to learn that.
raises:
http://www.rexano.org/WAO/wao_hallie_bear.jpg

and makes:
http://blogs.venturacountystar.com/dennert/archives/toast.jpg

... and screw all the little brats anyway!

1point2
9/02/2008 9:56pm,
Baby Jesus weeps at the thought of 8 year old black belts.

HAVE SOME STANDARDS

lionknight
9/02/2008 10:08pm,

I agree with Phrost, nothing wrong with this at all.

Angry-André
9/02/2008 10:53pm,
So funny yet sadly so true! If there is a child under the age of 11 with a black belt, their either unimaginably good and dedicated and probably started training at the age of 3-5 or .. McSensei. To have a well earned, well deserved black belt that actually knows his/her stuff about that martial art it can take anything from 3-5 years plus more depending on how much you train. And that is turning up to training religiously, also training at home! No snotty nose dweeb can do that! Their parents probably know it too..

Ajamil
9/02/2008 11:04pm,
Not to **** on the thread (screw all them li'l black belts and their dragon clubs!), but I have seen kids I would consider saying they deserved a black belt.

Granted it was WTF TKD sparring, but there was a 7-yr-old green belt who would spar anyone, and had no hesitation to get right up on you and punch/kick whatever legal target she could reach. It would seriously put you off for a bit (then you realized a good kick would catapult her across the room) and given the right training (not from that dojang, but still) I could see her taking on your 6-month bjj white belt.

Angry-André
9/02/2008 11:16pm,
Not to **** on the thread (screw all them li'l black belts and their dragon clubs!), but I have seen kids I would consider saying they deserved a black belt.

Granted it was WTF TKD sparring, but there was a 7-yr-old green belt who would spar anyone, and had no hesitation to get right up on you and punch/kick whatever legal target she could reach. It would seriously put you off for a bit (then you realized a good kick would catapult her across the room) and given the right training (not from that dojang, but still) I could see her taking on your 6-month bjj white belt.

There will be always some one younger then you yet far stronger and better at martial arts then you, there will be some 7 year old kid that is outrageously good some where in the world that probably would have a black belt and be deserving of it, but the world is made up of billions of kids, and 99.9999999% of them suck!

fightin Penguin
9/02/2008 11:31pm,
I still remember the Tang Soo Do place I went to (West Summit Karate Club in Scranton, Pa) one of their rules was that you couldn't be a black belt at their school until you turned 16. If you were younger than 16 but you were in the position to get a black belt (red belt) then you would take the test for the red belt with black stripe, and have that until you were sixteen and then you could go for black belt. I don;t know if that place still does that. Oh, and this palce actually had full contact sparring at times.

Man, why did I quit? Oh yeah, I was in the fifth grade and didn't take it seriously... The best martial arts place in Northeast PA is probably Grant's in Plymouth (I should check it out soon).

13ringinheat
9/02/2008 11:39pm,
raises BEAR and makes a toast!

Are you raising a black or brown bear over your head while making that toast???