PDA

View Full Version : Hi, newbie here.

Pages : [1] 2

pillsbury
8/25/2008 3:06pm,
Hey, name's Pillsbury, nice to meetcha. I'll start by saying I'm a complete retard when it comes to knowledge of martial arts so expect lots of dumb instigations, queries and conclusions from me. However my dear sweet mother taught me good ethics so while I am a complete newbie I am not a troll.:sad1:

I used to do a martial arts... at first I thought it was taekwondo but then someone said it was sung do...or whatever the heck that is.... I quit because of homework but now that I think about it, the classes sucked because all we ever really did was forms.

Anyway! I like martial arts like the rest of you, even though I don't know anything, and I might get back into it soon. But I have no clue what else I should try out. I am looking primarily for an unarmed self-defense style. (though they probably all are....:5bomb:)

Anyone want to be my friend? :P

TKDBot
8/25/2008 3:07pm,
BULL RUSH ON pillsbury!!!

pillsbury
8/25/2008 3:08pm,
WTF you guys have bots?!

Lu Tze
8/25/2008 3:19pm,
Welcome to Bullshido.

Be careful of TKDbot, he may get angry at your poor referee decisions and ineffectually kick you in the face!

I'm contractually obliged to nutride Judo, so I'll start out by recommending you try that. Although there are plenty of other decent martial arts, apparently...

Tersi
8/25/2008 3:20pm,
Yep. They're everywhere.

Welcome here!

Are you looking more for striking (punches and kicks) or grappling (judo, wrestling)? Either of them is fun, but it's different kind of fun.

DKJr
8/25/2008 3:24pm,
Boxing is always a good choice too, however if you looking for something more martial arty (its word a swear) try BJJ, Sambo, and Judo for your grappling. Muay thai I love recommending for its great workout and skills.

pillsbury
8/25/2008 3:28pm,
I figured I'd start over with a striking art of some sort. One of my friends does something called Go Ju...or whatever, I'm just sounding it out. Maybe I could try that?

:edit: Did a little research just now...found out the full name of the martial art I used to do was "Pil Sung Do", a Korean martial art oriented for street use. http://www.pilsungdo.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=26

Tersi
8/25/2008 3:49pm,
Goju is kind of karate (mostly), you should find more about it in Style Forums. Also, there's a guide to chosing good martial arts school, but I can't find it.

pillsbury
8/25/2008 4:00pm,
Ok I'm going to need a guide to a good martial art school. If anyone finds one or has advice on finding a good one please let know, thanks. I will check out Goju in the Style forums then.

KO'd N DOA
8/25/2008 4:06pm,
I figured I'd start over with a striking art of some sort. One of my friends does something called Go Ju...or whatever, I'm just sounding it out. Maybe I could try that?

:edit: Did a little research just now...found out the full name of the martial art I used to do was "Pil Sung Do", a Korean martial art oriented for street use. http://www.pilsungdo.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=26

Hi Pillsbury,

Welcome to Bullshido!

Thanks for the link, in Bullshido mostly it is know as Choi Kwang Do. You will find some links here for it. Did you train with the guy Larry Key who got run over by the D9 Bulldozer? He must have some serious scars and some stories to tell, what was your experience with him?

Here is a link to the index and references. http://www.bullshido.net/forums/search.php?searchid=2430293

See you around!

KO'd DOA

Tersi
8/25/2008 4:10pm,
I was talking about http://mcdojo-faq.tripod.com/ but surely there are more sites like that.

mike321
8/25/2008 4:26pm,
Pillsbury,

Are you out of high school? If not, join wrestling team immediately. It's free and it works and even warming the bench while learning wrestling will help get you ready for other martial arts.

pillsbury
8/25/2008 8:12pm,
@Tersi - Ok thanks.

@KO'd N DOA - No I didn't train with Larry Key. I trained with a guy named Ralph, sorry. Also the link you gave me didn't work.

@Mike - I'm not sure if my high school has a wrestling team...I will check! But uh, how will grappling with sweaty people get me ready for other arts?

Tersi
8/26/2008 2:59am,
You'd be surprised how many times fighting is grappling with sweaty people despite your best efforts. Knowing some wrestling might give you an edge (the better variant) or save your ass (the worse one).

ignatzami
8/26/2008 8:49am,
@Tersi - Ok thanks.

@KO'd N DOA - No I didn't train with Larry Key. I trained with a guy named Ralph, sorry. Also the link you gave me didn't work.

@Mike - I'm not sure if my high school has a wrestling team...I will check! But uh, how will grappling with sweaty people get me ready for other arts?

Wrestling is great for conditioning, will give you good take downs, as well as good defense to take downs. Add to this the ability to pin and submit an opponent. Combine wrestling with striking and your have the base of a well rounded fighter.

M1K3
8/26/2008 8:57am,

Welcome to Bullshido. How about this.

Step 1 - takedown
Step 2 - acheive the mount (sit on his chest)
Step 3 - GnP (feed him his teeth)

Wrestling for the win! Whoooooo!

:qgreenjum