PDA

View Full Version : Greetings and stupid questions.

armoredpundit
8/23/2008 6:46pm,
Hi,

I'm a 17 years old college student from Canada looking to do more with his evenings than sitting on his ass playing WoW.

I have done Chinese Studies for a year beforehand my recent switch to computer science and frankly, I fell in love with the Mandarin language but especially the Chinese culture. I decided practicing a Chinese martial art with be a nice follow-up to my two semesters of study, and it'd keep me motivated to pursue Mandarin fluency.

So far I've looked at styles and Hung Gar looks like a complete, fun one. I'm not really looking for something practical since I seldom get into fights, although something not completely ornemental would be nice. I stumbled upon a school near home that teaches both Hung Gar and Wing Chun (incredible since I live in the countryside). I'm still debating on which one to take...however my primary concern as of now is to make sure it's a good school to learn from. Here is the website : www.associationdenisshink.com/menu-en.html (http://www.associationdenisshink.com/menu_laprise.html)

I live in Quebec (ie French) so the fact there is an English side of the website is nice enough.

I don't intend to make you guys do all the work so I'll share what I've collected so far :

-here is the Wing Chun heritage of the main sifu according to the website :
Yip Man to Tam Lai to Ma Ping to Denis Shink

I know absolutely nothing about that so make of it what you will.

-a excerpt of the site says that "Learning is based on memorization of the various forms and on practice, which enables students to understand and perfect the various movements. "What kind of practice is not mentioned, I already shot an e-mail asking for clarification, but judging by the site's content, it seems to be sparring or at the very least drills. From what I've heard, correct me if I'm wrong, but the biggest danger with a Chinese MA school is falling on one who does forms exclusively.

-a quick look-over at the schedule reveals that children's courses and adults' courses are clearly separated from each other. Hung Gar courses are 2x a week plus a course dedicated to traditional forms, Wing Chun courses (apparently the main focus of the school) are every day. I think there is also free practice (sparring?) 1x a week. I have shot an email asking for the maximum number of classes per week and the prices.

I appreciate any help you can give to a neophyte : D Since I'm a college student, my main concern is really getting the most bang for my buck. I'll update this thread as soon as I get an answer to my email.

Thanks!

~AP

TKDBot
8/23/2008 6:47pm,
Welcome to the Bullshido Forums armoredpundit... Make sure you review your dojo (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83) and add it to your user control panel so you can get the http://www.bullshido.net/images/dojoreview1.gif icon in your user info bar in your posts.

jheers11
8/23/2008 8:00pm,
heh ive had my share of playin wow before...get into jiu jitsu...hehe nah thats what im goin for but nah whatever floats ur boat.

Kentucky Fried Chokin
8/23/2008 8:12pm,
If you look around the site, you'll find that Wing Chun is not highly respected here for good reasons (it's innefffectiveness). If you want to learn some chinese martial arts, I've heard great things about Sanda.

jheers11
8/23/2008 8:36pm,
Oh yeas actually I forgot about Sanda. I have seen sanda on human weapon (hehe) and it is a combative sport. I was actually very impressed with sanda seeing as how it is a strand of kung-fu (correct me if im wrong) it really didnt seem like a BS martial art like kung-fu seems alot of the time.

armoredpundit
8/23/2008 8:42pm,
I noticed.

After a quick Google search it turns out that the only Sanda schools in Quebec are a 3 hours drive away. Say what you will but I'm not driving that far every other day (in fact I don't even own a car).

If there's any other functional CMAs, I'd like to know, but as far as keeping training in line with my goals goes, Wing Chun or Hung Gar seem to be my best bets so far (I noticed they also teach Praying Mantis...should I inquire?)

EDIT : I have two things to mention :

-I'm not necessarily looking for the style at the top of the martial arts food chain. Something mildly effective is good enough for me. I do not wish to fight professionally, and I rarely get into street fights. What I do look forward to doing, is sparring against other students. It's the same mindset I have towards capoeira. Sure, it's not really effective, but it looks damn fun to practice with other capoeiristas.

-there's also a YMAA branch that teaches long fist in my area. I shot them an email to know whether they could teach sanda (I've looked into it and wouldn't mind practicing it) or not, but I'd appreciate further info on the style.

Fleetwing
8/27/2008 4:21pm,
My vote is: find the most reputable school available and convenient and affordable that comes close to the style you want, and devote yourself to that for the time being. Perhaps others will disagree with me, and there usually are two ways of looking at any issue and the truth is somewhere between them, but my philosophy is, training in something good is better than spending time getting tied up worrying about what is the best. I am 56 years old and have wasted a lot of time in my life, switching from one thing to another, so this comes out of my personal experience.