PDA

View Full Version : Kuntao Jiu-Jitsu

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Gabetuno
8/23/2008 11:37am,
So I've passed this school a few times, and decided to be curious and check them out online. I want to know what you guys think, but here is a summary of what I've found out:

According to Marc Bochner's (head instructor) book Kuntao Jiu-Jitsu: Your guide to Realistic Self-Defense and Street Survival, it appears Kuntao Jiu-Jitsu is a "mix" of Martial Arts. In the overview of the style (which you can find on the book previews at Amazon... here's a link though: http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1412084849/ref=sib_dp_pop_ex/103-6835693-8890258?ie=UTF8&p=S00D#reader-link ) they talk about a conglomerate of anything from Muay Thai and JJJ to Aikido and Pressure Point Training.

Now, all by itself, that doesn't sound so bad, but I do see several mystical mentions of "ki" and a few curious styles worked in like Monkey Kung-Fu and the aforementioned Aikido. As has been said here before, it's not the Martial Art, it's how you train it, and I tend to agree. It seems like they do a lot of push-ups and bag work and stuff, but as for alive training, can't really tell. Have a look at this video, and tell me if I'm the only one who sees more silliness than practical fighting techniques:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDW5wFmmPMg name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param></object>

Here's the site:

www.KuntaoJiuJitsu.com (http://www.KuntaoJiuJitsu.com)

I don't know much about striking, so I'm reluctant to go in there and assess that part of their training, as I feel my opinion to be pretty limited, but if you guys raise enough eyebrows I could see checking out their groundwork and overall training format.

Also, there is one thread that got started on this school in 2004, but the discussion seemed to be more about lulz than about seriously discerning whether this place is worth a damn. Not like that isn't gonna happen again, in YMAS no less. :p But his book was published after the bulk of this thread happened (2006) so maybe that will help facilitate the discussion.

Here's the link: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18797&page=3&highlight=Kuntao+Jiu-Jitsu

Virus
8/23/2008 11:38am,
I've seen better Bujinkan.

Squerlli
8/23/2008 11:48am,
What the **** did I just watch?

Gabetuno
8/23/2008 11:51am,
I've seen better Bujinkan.

What the **** did I just watch?
I feel validated.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="YouTube - Kuntao Jiu-Jitsu Demonstration Newport, RI BlackShip Seminar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UGl5BHSzTE) name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param></object>

Lebell
8/23/2008 11:54am,
compliant show drills.

*yawnsz*

Gabetuno
8/23/2008 11:56am,
Have a skim through his book preview on Amazon. I think there is far more BS in there than these videos could really depict. For once, 1,000 words is worth many pictures.

animlmthr
8/23/2008 12:12pm,
What was up with all the tap-tapping on nage's part? Was that in place of actual strikes, like for the benefit of the uke? The blindfold thing was kind of cool but only kinda.
I'm not impressed. Seem very similar to my aikido training; a bunch of fancy moves that don't work in the street or even against a friend who slightly resists. At least I can't get 'em to work and when I do, I end up tweaking the **** out of the person's arm (I thought aikido was about NOT hurting your opponent).

Scott Larson
8/23/2008 12:25pm,
Uh... I don't think they have the rights to that image of Jason Scott Lee from "Dragon: the Bruce Lee story"

Gabetuno
8/23/2008 12:37pm,
So question: Is his Americana that shitty because

1) He's blindfolded

2) He doesn't know how to do it right

BudoMonkey
8/23/2008 12:58pm,
Here's the site:

www.KuntaoJiuJitsu.com (http://www.KuntaoJiuJitsu.com)

I don't know much about striking, so I'm reluctant to go in there and assess that part of their training, as I feel my opinion to be pretty limited, but if you guys raise enough eyebrows I could see checking out their groundwork and overall training format.

Those hands strikes...make...no...sense...

Gabetuno...Get in there dude. Get in there RIGHT AWAY. Those poor students...that striking shown in the first video is absolutely horrible, lacking in form and function, and completely reliant on a compliant partner. That video made me sick to my stomach. Well, not really, but it was pretty bad.

The strikes I saw, for instance the little flash kicks thrown with the instep to various 'vital' targets, go against what any serious combat/competition instructor would have one practice. I am farily new to grappling (3 months of BJJ), but I am very curious to hear if their grappling instruction is as showy and impractical as their striking. If so, may god help them.

Like someone else said- it strongly resembles bujinkan-esque fighting. Even chunners know how to punch someone in the face.

A big part of how to judge someone's striking, for me, is how they strike with their foot. Instep= for show, point sparring, forms. Karate, Kung fu, TKD, etc.
Shin= competition, serious combat. MMA, muay thai, savate

For this guy, it was more than that. He did almost every thing wrong. Also, did those breakfalls looks useless to anyone else? It seems like he is practicing more for stage combat than for combat. I mean that seriously. I am curious of all the styles they claim to mix, which the instructor can actually prove he has studied.

Gabetuno
8/23/2008 1:04pm,
Just as soon as I'm done staring at your avatar...

No but seriously, if you guys think it warrants a trip, I'll check it out. I wish I had someone with striking experience to go with. Oh well, I know jab, I know cross, I know hook, I know inside leg kick. Should do, right? :p

animlmthr
8/23/2008 1:07pm,
Yeah, for now.

BudoMonkey
8/23/2008 1:07pm,
It's more than they know. Couldn't hurt to check it out under freindly terms.

If I lived in rhode island, I'd be right there with you buddy.

Kid Miracleman
8/23/2008 1:10pm,
Ooh! Is there any way you can check out the school this weekend, Gabester?

Siniq
8/23/2008 1:13pm,
Wow that sucks... How could they mix only the BAD parts of the styles?

Gabetuno
8/23/2008 1:13pm,
Yeah I was actually gonna check their schedule and see if they have anything on Sunday. I roll at 8am, but I thought afterward I could head over if they have a class and get a gander.

Edit: They have a 10-11am adult class. I'll see about dropping in.