PDA

View Full Version : Good Weight Lifting and Home Workout Routine for Noob

ufcrules
8/18/2008 6:08pm,
Im am 6 foot 1 and about 215 lbs.
Whats a good beginner weight lifting routine?

And a good Home Workout Routine

BJJbot
8/18/2008 6:09pm,
We knew you could do it! ufcrules posted, YAY! And if a bot is this rude, just imagine harsh this is gonna be. Hope you're wearing a thick gi.

Frank White
8/18/2008 6:28pm,
Go to Stronglifts.com., trainforstrength.com, and anything Teh El Macho posts in the physical training program.

And buy the universal home gym machine I have for sale, cheap.

kwoww
8/18/2008 6:33pm,
Buy the book Starting Strength. The 2nd edition is like $15 on Amazon.com

animlmthr
8/18/2008 6:34pm,
Yo! What's up, ufcrules! That's quite a question! I have no idea even where to start...what are your goals...what is your current physical condition [i.e. could you pass a PT test (3mi run < 22min., 120 crunches in 3 min., 20-25 pull ups)?]...do you have any injuries or back trouble? These are all questions you need to ask yourself.
IMHO:
Weight lifting for power: Dead lifts, bench press, squat; heavy weight/low rep
Weight lifting for tone/sculpting: everything, find what routines work for your body type, lots of different sets at different weight, 8-12 reps
Weight lifting for MA: very little, isolation exercises (curls, shoulder press, etc.) and a hell of a lot of body resistance exercises (pull up, push ups, dips, calisthenics/plyometrics). Too much weight training with MA as a primary goal could slow you down...you'll be strong as hell but you could get a lot slower when sparring...food for thought
Figure out why your weight training in the first place and find routines to fit those goals;
I look at the magazines, The Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding, lifting forums and other internet resources etc. Frankly, when it come to weight lifting (like most other things) just get out there and start lifting; you'll catch on.
Good luck!
Late!

bumticker
8/18/2008 11:46pm,
Do what's been said above. "Starting Strength" is where its at for technique. Also check out mixedmartialarts.com's Strength/Conditioning forum. We might be able to help more if you post some goals and a little more detail about You.

hornyhobo
8/19/2008 10:01pm,
Since you said beginner I'm going to assume you're just starting with your training.

I would recommend you do a few sets of pushups, squats, and pullups. Thrown in an abdominal workout and a bit of jump rope or jogging and you're set.

Now if you want to go beyond light training then weights may be n ecessary.