PDA

View Full Version : Cultural/Racial Fetishism

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

The Wastrel
12/10/2003 1:00am,
What is up with this? I mean...Okay...so you like a country's martial arts. Does that mean you have to jump on board their crazy religious superstitions and backwards fucked-up "medicine"?

Really guys. This is ridiculous. Why don't you jump on board Marxism-Leninism-Mao Zedong Thought while you're at it? Eat tiger penis and bear gall...Sheesh.

Have you even heard some of the crazy **** that TCM encompasses? The hand is an analog to the human body?! So if you stick the right spot on the hand, you heal that part of the body?

Holy-Way-To-Turn-Your-Back-On-The-Greatest-Non-Artistic-Accomplishment-of-Western-Culture, Guys!

Man. I just realized that since I practice Taekkyon, that means I have to believe that oscillating fans suck the oxygen out of the room...

Pandinha
12/10/2003 1:10am,
BBBBRRRRRAAAAAAZZZZZZZIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!11!!1 !!!!!!!111

phoebe
12/10/2003 1:15am,
My roommate is from China and her family has a TCM business with all this stuff that you don't like lol

Darting Fingers
12/10/2003 1:23am,
No I don't think you "have" to jump on the bandwagon but by being introduced to facet of a certain culture might open your eyes to other aspects. I think that considering that there are a no. of people here who beleive in god and jesus, that to discredit other people for their beliefs is a bit unfair though.

Darting Fingers
12/10/2003 1:24am,
Then again there are some fucked up fanatics out ther from alot of different religons and some people who are easily influenced.

Kungfoolss
12/10/2003 1:29am,
Originally posted by The Wastrel
[B]What is up with this? I mean...Okay...so you like a country's martial arts. Does that mean you have to jump on board their crazy religious superstitions and backwards fucked-up "medicine"?

Such people are drawn to the mystical and cultural aspect of an art, especially those of the Asian cultures. These arts are truly a religion in every regard and many times people need things to believe in.

For all their faults, you have to admit, at least their uniforms they are a bit more tasteful than the NASCAR logos on the brazilian fighters. I've never understood the appeal of this with the brazilian fighters, it seems to be an overt way to whore yourself out to the corporate sponsors.

Pandinha
12/10/2003 1:30am,
Talking about fanatics...

Hannibal
12/10/2003 1:38am,
There are some benefits to be had by natural chinese medicine. Personally I don't buy into alot of asian customs or tradition because I am not an asian and would look bloody silly doing so. Although asian medicine may not be proven medically in the western world,it does not mean that it is worthless. On the contrary alot of it is quite beneficial.

The Wastrel
12/10/2003 1:41am,
Darting Fingers,
It has nothing to do with having your eyes opened. Man, I've practically been Korean. I mean seriously. My nickname was Mitusa (hard to explain). Thing is, I know people like this who learned their art or whatever from Biff Boffburger on Main Street, USA; have never been as far east as Arkansas, or as far west as San Francisco; think "Ni Hao" is a question about your knees; and yet they buy the mysticism and the art.

Drives me nuts. They play the interested in culture role, but have they ever read any Po Chu-Yi? Or some TKD fanatic who's talking Hwarang and TKM and how much he loves the culture...Yet he doesn't know that he's never supposed to pour his own drink when he's with friends...

Egads.

manchuria
12/10/2003 1:41am,
try everything, use what works.

The Wastrel
12/10/2003 1:43am,
Although asian medicine may not be proven medically in the western world,it does not mean that it is worthless. On the contrary alot of it is quite beneficial.

Where do people get this? Hippie high school english teachers? Public access television?

Choke
12/10/2003 1:44am,
I don't think viewing a martial art as a bridge to another culture is a bad thing. But going too far with it is of course t3h ghey. I may be comfortable in saying this cause im proud of my nationality (U.S.) and my ethnicity (Cuban).

I think the people who go apeshit over their martial art's country of origin are probably people with a weak cultural backround and are looking for a cool culture to adopt.

HAPKO3
12/10/2003 1:55am,
Where do people get this? Hippie high school english teachers? Public access television?

There is, actually, some truth to that. There are a number of herbal remedies that do help certain conditions, but have not been studied and or characterized in a scientific manner.

I am with you on you main point - hell, I've spen enough time and written many a page trying to dispell silly myths and beliefs, but there's no need to descount the entire thing.

The problem in the "alternative medicine" market is actually very similar to the one with martial arts - 99% of what's peddled to the consumer is complete and utter bullshit.

I know this firsthand - I was a very sickly child when I was growing up in a country where we did not have access to a lot of the medicines that are taken for granted here.

Phoenix
12/10/2003 1:57am,
My nickname was Mitusa (hard to explain).

Mitusa? lol....cool.

The Wastrel
12/10/2003 2:00am,
Here's some natural remedies for you:

Aspirin
Penicillin
Morphine

etc. etc.

The deal is not that some TCM practices don't work and others do. It's that TCM doesn't have an internal mechanism for verifying them. They do them, because they always have.

Same thing with old European remedies. Mercury for syphilis?!

HAPKO3
12/10/2003 2:02am,
Yep.