PDA

View Full Version : S.E. arts

Pages : [1] 2

gooking
12/08/2003 11:31am,
What martial arts came out of south east asia? The only martial art I can think of is Muay Thai, are there any others? I like to know from cambodia ,vietnam , laos, thailand, and other countries there.

I'm asking because I never heard of any others besides Muay Thai, are they just not as popular over there or here?

PizDoff
12/08/2003 11:36am,
http://www.thaing.net/

I'm sure you can manage from there....

The_Dude73
12/08/2003 11:38am,
There was one in Burma that is similar to Muay Thai, but I forget the name.

The weapons form of Muay Thai is called Krabi-Krabong. It's a two-sword form, or a sword and stick form, it literally means "sword and baton." It's very much like Muay Thai with weapons. It's hard to find Krabi-Krabong instruction even in Thailand, there are really only like three schools left. Some Ajarn Chai affiliates will train in it a little. It's like Muay Thai with weapons. Not real practical for the modern world, but it's fun as hell.

BA
12/08/2003 11:40am,
One other Martial Art that is practiced close to those areas ( Malaysia....and others) would be Silat.

LLL
12/08/2003 11:41am,
There are Vietnamese MAs too, but I don't remember the names.

Budd
12/08/2003 11:42am,
The Burmese martial art is called Bando. The first exponent in the U.S. was Maung Zhi (sp?). My father studied it when he was was at school Washington D.C. I believe that there has been some recent controversy regarding some of Maung's claims, yet from many reports, the man COULD fight pretty damn good back in the day.

The Wastrel
12/08/2003 11:44am,
Aren't the Philippines in Southeast Asia?

S.Anucha
12/08/2003 12:20pm,
Originally posted by gooking
What martial arts came out of south east asia? The only martial art I can think of is Muay Thai, are there any others? I like to know from cambodia ,vietnam , laos, thailand, and other countries there.

I'm asking because I never heard of any others besides Muay Thai, are they just not as popular over there or here?

Hi gooking, I have a great passion for travelling and S.E.Asia. Beautiful people come from that part fo the world.

Indonesia has over 400 styles or so of Silat, Malaysia also have some kinds of Silat but I have no experience with these so cant comment.

Cambodia, Laos, Mynmar (Burma), Thailand and North Vietnam all have very similar fighting styles. Mynmar and Thailand are the only two styles that i have any real experience with. Mynmar has a form of ground wrestling called Naban and a form of standup fighting that includes standup grappling and throws, locks, breaks etc this is called Lethwei. Mynmar fighting systems are very siomple to learn and also very effective.

Thailand has 5 main arts under the title Pahuyuth. of these arts arose the sport fighting Muay Thai. Muay Thai is the most common form of fighting that comes from Thailand but Muay Thai is only a sport not the actual combative fightingstyle from which it came from and that is called Krabi-Krabong. Krabi-Krabong deals with weapons, knives, sticks, swords etc, it also has over 110 empty hand techniques, various Judo like throws and takedowns along with standup grappling and ground fighting techniques... it is a very simple art to learn, the soldiers who used KK simply used the empty hand techniques of Krabi-Krabong for competitive bouts so as to keep sharp, these empty hand techniques are called Muay Boran, they are more geared towards combat than ring fighting so it wasnt unlikely for serious injury and death to occur during these bouts, the rules changed in 1930 or so and then Muay Thai was born.

Pahuyuth :

Muay Boran
Awud Thai
Fandab
Ling-Lom
Krabi-Krabong

You also have from Thailand an art called lerd-rit which is highly effective and used by the military and police.

Krabi-Krabong IS effective in todays world but the war Elephant fighting techniques taught in Krabi-Krabong may not have a place in modern day. If you practice or have experienced Krabi-krabong you will notice how simple it is, it is quite brutal as most takedowns are started by either breaking the knee joint or cutting the throat, we practice it with wooden knives. The techniques again are very very simple, so simple it'd be hard to deliver them incorrectly once learned.

Muay Boran is what Muay Thai is but with more.

Muay Thai the ring sport is only a fraction of the actual martial art of Thailand.

Freddy
12/08/2003 12:50pm,
I took Khymer kick boxing from a friend. Its similar to MT but with a different emphasis. The same with burmese boxing etc. Theres also Vietnamese forms of fighting that were influence by kung fu arts etc.

Freddy
12/08/2003 12:52pm,
"lerd-rit" - What is that like?

Hedgehogey
12/08/2003 3:11pm,
Viet MA:

Vo Tu Do (like muay thai with more elbows)
Vo Tay Son/Binh Dinh
Kim Ke
Viet Vo Dao and Qwan Ki Do are like viet TKD, barely half a century old

X_plosion
12/08/2003 3:55pm,
"Aren't the Philippines in Southeast Asia?"

Yes, it is.

Hundreds of styles of Arnis, many indigenous forms of weaponry and the Filipino versions of Kuntao and Silat thus fall under the category of Southeast Asian MA.

Ronin
12/08/2003 3:58pm,
In Burma they have an art called "bando"
The striking/grappling art advocates:
First, attacke the legs
Second, attack the body
Third, attack the head.
They like to deliever knuckle punches to the eye sockets.

Freddy
12/08/2003 4:12pm,
I would guess many of those arts developed in the Jungles are very tough. You would have to knowing how many animals wants to eat or poison you not to mention constant warfare with nieghbouring tribes and the like.

S.Anucha
12/08/2003 4:47pm,
Originally posted by ronin69
In Burma they have an art called "bando"
The striking/grappling art advocates:
First, attacke the legs
Second, attack the body
Third, attack the head.
They like to deliever knuckle punches to the eye sockets.

yeah man, Bando is basicly like Pahuyuth, I think they use the name Bando to group all the fighting systems from Mynmar.

http://stickgrappler.tripod.com/bando/clinch.html

Bando clinching is very similar to Thai clinching only in Mynmar they havnt changed the way fights are carried out. They still use headbutts and groin shot while binding the fists with rope. There are government run matches now where rules are being added to make it more of a commercially viable sport along teh same lines as Muay Thai, but yeah, both countries have serious vicious ways of dealing with an aggressor! I have upmost respect for those little guys.

If you want to leanr more of the Thai combative system of fighting then you should aim to learn Muay Boran or find a good school which will teach you the enitre Thai fighting system. I leanr Muay Boran, that is my style, Muay Lanna (Northern Thailand) *no not the camp lanna Muay Thai but the style*.

Lerd-rit is geared towards Military use and policing so its obvious whats to be found in that.

Bando, well what can I say, it is like Muay Thai with one very different advantage and that is Naban! I will hopefully be getting instruction in this form of wrestling as it is geared towards self defense and combat not sportive fighting. It works and is similar to BJJ. Mynmar and Thai arts seem to compliment each other very well apart from the roundkick in Bando is a little different than in the Thai system. I amnot an expert by any means just very interested and read a lot about both arts and also practice the Thai arts and have experienced some Bando.

Also if you read that article you'll notice one thing the majority of MA's dont realise, Thai and Mynmar fighting arts have very skilled stand up grappling systems which include everything from throws, locks to takedowns.

Hope some interest has been aroused :)

udo
12/08/2003 5:50pm,
Doesn't one of the Dog Brothers train in Krabi Krabong?