PDA

View Full Version : Stupid BJJ Question

Pages : [1] 2

Histpun
7/29/2008 4:03am,
Is it neccesarry to compete to advance in belts?

AikidoBot
7/29/2008 4:04am,
Welcome to the Bullshido Forums Histpun... Make sure you review your dojo (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83) and add it to your user control panel so you can get the http://www.bullshido.net/images/dojoreview1.gif icon in your user info bar in your posts.

Lu Tze
7/29/2008 4:44am,
I think it depends on the school, there's no unified ranking system.

You'll almost certainly advance more quickly if you do compete though.

Histpun
7/29/2008 5:22am,
I see, thank you for the information.

Asriel
7/29/2008 6:45am,
My instructor told me that its not necessary to compete to advance in grade if that helps.

JohnnyFive
7/29/2008 6:47am,
I have advanced without competing. (In BJJ).

indy007
7/29/2008 9:58am,
In my school, no competition, no blue belt.

Kentucky Fried Chokin
7/29/2008 10:44am,
As you can see, it depends on the school. My old brazilian instructor told me that for him, his instructor simply gave him his blue when he was ready, but to get higher belts he had to win progressively larger comps. He finally got his black after winning the brazilian nationals.

Skillful
7/29/2008 10:51pm,
You progress more quickly if you compete?!? LOL.

Lu Tze
7/30/2008 6:35am,
Is that such a ridiculous notion to you? Wrap your grey matter around this: Who's going to develop as a player faster, a guy who only rolls with the other guys at his club, or a guy who also competes with players from other clubs?

Shiai (competition) was never supposed to be about medals and trophies, but about developing yourself and your game. Sadly, in both BJJ and Judo a lot of people only focus on the silverware nowadays, but that doesn't mean they also won't benefit from the competition, whether they realise it or not.

pauli
7/30/2008 7:40am,
i believe he was refering to the sandbag effect.

Lu Tze
7/30/2008 7:48am,
Ah, yeah. Well that meshes pretty well with my second point, but deliberately stunting yourself just so you can get a shiny doesn't really invalidate my point about competition developing your game quicker.

NateS
8/01/2008 3:33pm,
Kind of makes sense. If you are ready to progress to the next belt you should be able to successfully compete with everyone in your current belt level. I don't think you should have to win but if you get owned by two or three people in your belt level say blue I don't think you are really ready to be a purple. Also it is a good way for schools to stay on a level playing field. IE a blue belt has a similar skill set to blue belts at other schools.

1point2
8/01/2008 3:38pm,
i believe he was refering to the sandbag effect.

Stupid follow-up from the karateka: Is there anything being done to avoid sandbagging (reverse rank inflation?) at BJJ comps? Is this widespread at judo comps, too?

Skillful
8/01/2008 4:07pm,
If you were an instructor and you had a guy who's going to compete in a month in a major tourney, are you going to promote him so he can get schooled with your name on all the patches on his back or wait an extra 5 weeks and promote him after he (hopefully) looks good and competitive in the tourney?

Doesn't every school have a guy or two in his 50's who gets tapped by good white belts, but is a purple belt because he's been there 7 or 8 years? Do you think that guy would have been promoted if he were an avid competitor? I don't. Consider my gray matter wrapped.

CoffeeFan
8/01/2008 4:08pm,
Stupid follow-up from the karateka: Is there anything being done to avoid sandbagging (reverse rank inflation?) at BJJ comps? Is this widespread at judo comps, too?

They are just bad. For example, at a recent competition there was a person who entered all three divisions (beg, inter, and adv) and I beleive scored second in the advanced. His reasoning was that 14 years of wrestling and 6 months of BJJ still made him a novice in BJJ.

yea...... there is mucho sandbagging