PDA

View Full Version : Coolest MA

Pages : [1] 2 3

phoebe
12/06/2003 10:40pm,
It's hard to define exactly what I mean by this. I definitely don't mean 'most effective' or 'most popular', though. Something more like 'most fun' or 'most interesting' for whatever reasons you may have

One of my friends once told me that he had gone to a demo class for some martial art that was supposed to be about using the least amount of effort to fight or something like that. He asked the instructor what he would do if someone attacked him with a knife held over his head, like you often see defended against in other classes. The instructor wasn't sure because he said nobody ever actually does that, and asked him to try it on him to see what he would do. He ended up grabbing my friend's arm and pulling it down so that if he really was holding a knife, it would have stabbed him in the thigh. My friend was so impressed that he decided it was the MA for him. I just can't remember what it was called, and I haven't talked to him in a long time

The Wastrel
12/06/2003 10:49pm,
The "coolest" or "most fun" would be one you enjoy.

Hannibal
12/06/2003 10:51pm,
Sounds like bullshit to me.

blankslate
12/06/2003 11:14pm,
Ninjitsu

Shuma-Gorath
12/06/2003 11:30pm,
Your description sounds like Aikido.

Really, an art performed by one of its true masters will look amazing. Unless you have no MA experience there aren't going to be many effective arts that have entertaining white belt classes.

9chambers
12/07/2003 1:19am,
Ninjas rock. Also, Zorro. Zorro rocks too.

PizDoff
12/07/2003 1:26am,
I find cool......capoeira, I'd love to take it....
And those FMA knife arts....heheh, blood....

KageReaper
12/07/2003 1:51am,
What makes the green grass grow?? blood blood, bright red blood Arrgh!!

The Wastrel
12/07/2003 9:53am,
He asked the instructor what he would do if someone attacked him with a knife held over his head, like you often see defended against in other classes. The instructor wasn't sure because he said nobody ever actually does that,

Shumagorath,
That's definitely NOT aikido.

Tinhamodic
12/07/2003 9:54am,
The master knew that your friend was to perform an overhead knife strike, a true measure of a martial artist is to see how he would respond to an unexpected move.

WhiteShark
12/07/2003 9:57am,
XMA by far the "coolest" martial art I mean, come on it's XTREME!

Seriously though I think capoeira(sp) is probably the coolest MA though I'm not sure I'll ever take it.

9chambers
12/07/2003 10:14am,
what martial art does Bat Man take?

WhiteShark
12/07/2003 10:17am,
Unfortunatly I think it's Ninjitsu, but since it's not real that's OK everyone knows ninjitsu rules in fantasy land.

It doesn't say Ninjustsu here but his teachers other student becomes a Ninja...
http://wf.toonzone.net/WF/batman/bios/heroes/yoru/

Shuma-Gorath
12/07/2003 12:32pm,
Originally posted by 9chambers
what martial art does Batman take?

Every one that works :D

Off the top of my head, in the comics he mentions or uses signature techniques from:

-Karate
-Japanese Juijitsu (including modern Judo stuff to get heavy attackers off him)
-Aikido
-Various forms of Kung Fu
-Ninjitsu (well, DUH!)
-Wrestling (I think)

Obviously, since he likes to take on rooms full of guys with guns, going to the ground sucks so he never stays there.

phoebe
12/07/2003 1:58pm,
Ninjas rock. Also, Zorro. Zorro rocks too.
How about Zorro training to be a ninja? Then he could be Zorro the swashbuckling ninja
I think I better stop there lol

phoebe
12/07/2003 2:02pm,
what martial art does Batman take?
Somewhere out there, there's probably at least one kid who made up something called 'Batmanfu' or 'Batmanjitsu' or something like that. And he probably takes it seriously