PDA

View Full Version : Belt Rank - Who approves you and who approved them anyway?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

kwangjochoi
7/25/2008 3:30pm,
I understand that this may or may not have been debated before ad infinitum, but my question is this:

Belt Ranks are a modern invention, and these days, with McDojos and the like, are a nice little money spinner for some (see CKD - 18 belts to Black Belt).

Belts, being a modern thing, and started by Kano not that long ago, my question is:

1. Are they really important or necessary?
2. Who really approves them? I know there's lots of debate here on fakes and stuff, but who really has the authority to claim like General Choi he was a 10th DAN. Says who? Who gave him the right to wear that, and who gave anyone he learnt off the right to wear a belt colour or DAN level?

Who really has the right to claim "history" in belts when it's just a man-made measure that we create in our little social training groups and circles?

Just because 40 or so years ago, someone claimed a black belt, and their "organization" claimed them a 2nd, 3rd dan, etc and then they promoted them up through tyhe ranks at you know 5th, 6th, 9th, 10th etc, what makes this legit?

Askari
7/25/2008 3:37pm,
Welcome to Bullshido,

Your scheduled beating will begin shortly.

1point2
7/25/2008 4:00pm,
Wrong forum n00b.

Also, belt ranks are only valid within the organization that gives and recognizes them.

Beyond that--ie, outside the recognizing organization--YMMV. Which is to say, the BJJ guys (try to) defend the status of their belts among fakers...but karate, TKD, etc have all lost the battle as to who has a legitimate rank. Self-proclaimed 10th dans are common.

The solution, of course, is that I don't care about anyone's rank outside my own org. I only care about lineage, skill, and time spent (consecutively, actively) training.

Omega Supreme
7/25/2008 4:56pm,
I promoted myself.

General Chaos has a nice ring to it.

Omega Supreme
7/25/2008 4:56pm,
What about Admiral intentions?

kwangjochoi
7/25/2008 5:16pm,
Your scheduled beating will begin shortly.

Not too hard. I'll cry ;)

kwangjochoi
7/25/2008 5:18pm,

Sorry, never met him.

Eddie Hardon
7/25/2008 5:26pm,

How about Major Eyeswater ? Continues the military theme and a pun. Also probably a little too close to the Truth?

*I am now backing away from the keyboard* :icon_salu

lionknight
7/25/2008 6:25pm,
Luckily we only have about a month until school starts again.

kwangjochoi
7/25/2008 6:28pm,
Wrong forum n00b.

The official forum for Bullshido. SERIOUS discussion on McDojos, questionable Martial Artists, and Martial Arts History only. Help us fight fraud in the Martial Arts by contributing well-thought-out threads and ideas on the subject.

Sorry, in my head, "history" related to this topic.

lionknight
7/25/2008 6:32pm,
Sorry, in my head, "history" related to this topic.

In everyone else’s head you should still be newbietown.

kwangjochoi
7/25/2008 6:56pm,
In everyone else’s head you should still be newbietown.

Thanks for speaking for "everyone"

G-Off
7/25/2008 6:58pm,
Thanks for speaking for "everyone"

Everyone agrees with him.

It is Fake
7/25/2008 7:00pm,
You underlined History but, you are discussing modern problems?

That is a noob mistake.

I understand that this may or may not have been debated before ad infinitum, but my question is this:

Belt Ranks are a modern invention, and these days, with McDojos and the like, are a nice little money spinner for some (see CKD - 18 belts to Black Belt).

Belts, being a modern thing, and started by Kano not that long ago, my question is:

1. Are they really important or necessary?
2. Who really approves them? I know there's lots of debate here on fakes and stuff, but who really has the authority to claim like General Choi he was a 10th DAN. Says who? Who gave him the right to wear that, and who gave anyone he learnt off the right to wear a belt colour or DAN level?

Who really has the right to claim "history" in belts when it's just a man-made measure that we create in our little social training groups and circles?

Just because 40 or so years ago, someone claimed a black belt, and their "organization" claimed them a 2nd, 3rd dan, etc and then they promoted them up through tyhe ranks at you know 5th, 6th, 9th, 10th etc, what makes this legit?

Your entire first post is a modern discussion.

kwangjochoi
7/25/2008 7:03pm,
You underlined History but, you are discussing modern problems?

That is a noob mistake.

Your entire first post is a modern discussion.

Not really, the questions were about belt ranks, and the original ideas, and the way they were earnt/handed out/bought/found/whatever.

I'm not really interested in modern day stuff. I'm happy with my 40th DAN in Macrame-Do.

Maybe i could have worded my question better.

It is Fake
7/25/2008 7:12pm,
Not really, the questions were about belt ranks, and the original ideas, and the way they were earnt/handed out/bought/found/whatever.

You ask three questions. Which is funny because, you keep saying you want to ask a question.

3. Who really has the right to claim "history" in belts when it's just a man-made measure that we create in our little social training groups and circles?
This is asking about legitimacy not history.

2. Who really approves them? I know there's lots of debate here on fakes and stuff, but who really has the authority to claim like General Choi he was a 10th DAN. Says who? Who gave him the right to wear that, and who gave anyone he learnt off the right to wear a belt colour or DAN level?Again another comment on the legitimacy of a modern day 10th Dan. Again who approves these people is not a history question.

1. Are they really important or necessary?Nope not a history question.

In fact you take it right out of the history realm with this comment:

Can you say comedy option?