PDA

View Full Version : Haganah a joke?

Pages : [1] 2

jlewin
7/16/2008 7:05pm,
As I have posted in other places on the forums, and gotten good responses, I am beginning training in Judo and loving it. At some point down the road I would like to add training that incorporates more striking, preferably in a reality based environment. I have boxed, and tried a few other martial arts. This Haganah program seems to sound legit, but I always have to be wary of these pseudo military types. This guy says he was Black Belt Magazine Self Defense Instructor of the Year (for whatever that is worth anymore) There is a well regarded school in my area which uses the system as its core of instruction (not just a clip on program like you find Krav Maga at some Tae Kwon Do school etc.) I am not looking to make this part of my everyday instruction, just looking for something to take classes in on occassion and be able to learn something useful in a relatively short period of time.

WWW.fight2survive.com (http://www.fight2survive.com)

Wondering if anybody has any first hand experience with this stuff or can recommend a decent alternative. I live in Salem, MA (if anybody has any input who is in the area)

Vieux Normand
7/16/2008 7:48pm,
Striking?

Kyokushin, MT, Boxing. Mix that with your Judo and you'll have just about all the "realistic" you need.

I don't know about fees for MT or boxing, but the Kyokushin I've come across tends to be in the same ballpark, pricewise, as Judo: no fancy facilities, but hard, sweat-equity training and lots of real full-on sparring. You can't get much better value for your buck than Judo and Kyokushin.

RBSD, on the other hand...

Kentucky Fried Chokin
7/16/2008 7:54pm,
Oh lawdy! Newbietown, here we come!

jlewin
7/16/2008 8:12pm,
vieux thanks for the info. kyokushin would probably be ideal but I can't really find that in my area. or MT. Boxing is available as a "fitness" class at the local YMCA, which doesn't really cut it for me. I was thinking of checking out the local arnis club for some interesting skills. They also do Silat...any input on that?

Razmataz....are you replying to my post? If so, one of the things that drew me to this forum was that it encourages well thought out responses...so what does Newbie town here we come mean exactly?

Kentucky Fried Chokin
7/16/2008 8:15pm,
It means that where this should have been posted and that's where it will probably end up. It's ok, though, we were all noobs once. Dirty, stinky, noobs.

marcell
7/17/2008 3:17am,
Well, I guess just go try out the Israeli stuff and see if you like it. Just don't sign any contracts after a first class and use your good judgement (B.S. detector).

WorldWarCheese
7/17/2008 3:30am,
As I have posted in other places on the forums, and gotten good responses, I am beginning training in Judo and loving it. At some point down the road I would like to add training that incorporates more striking, preferably in a reality based environment. I have boxed, and tried a few other martial arts. This Haganah program seems to sound legit, but I always have to be wary of these pseudo military types. This guy says he was Black Belt Magazine Self Defense Instructor of the Year (for whatever that is worth anymore) There is a well regarded school in my area which uses the system as its core of instruction (not just a clip on program like you find Krav Maga at some Tae Kwon Do school etc.) I am not looking to make this part of my everyday instruction, just looking for something to take classes in on occassion and be able to learn something useful in a relatively short period of time.

WWW.fight2survive.com (http://www.fight2survive.com)

Wondering if anybody has any first hand experience with this stuff or can recommend a decent alternative. I live in Salem, MA (if anybody has any input who is in the area)
Welcome, n00bie.

Word of advice: don't use Black Belt Magazine for anything than to line the bottom of the cat's shitbox. MA (I live at times in Ashland and other times in Worcester) has an awesome selection of places to train.

Wait.

JUDO!? (yes, I just read that)

Dude, have I met you before? Have you ever gone to the Foxboro Tournament/Shiai? The local biz in the old school-building? If you been to some of the bigger ones I bet you met guys from my dojo (Worcester Judo Club, check it out). I actually heard of a club in Salem but I don't remember anything about it or if I had a match against any of you.

Anyhoo, I checked out the site and there's a higher % chance it's shite (granted perousing a website isn't exactly ideal but...). I'm not familiar with Salem (you can Google and Yellow Pages your own list of gyms) but for striking I recommend Muay Thai/Boxing/etc.

Anyhoo, good luck, and the Boston Bullies are thinking about another TD in the near future (before Summer's End) so keep an eye on the Throwdown Forum. Join in, I haven't had a good Judo match since I had to stop training over a year ago. (Don't know how good I'd be, but there's usually 4-6 guys)

maxthegeek1
7/17/2008 5:01am,
I don't think that krav maga is necessarily bullshido. I did krav maga for a while, and they had a ground fighting class taught by a BJJ black belt, and a kickboxing class. I'm at an mma gym now, but my old krav maga place really helped me be not a complete tard at my current gym. It was pretty good for fitness too. I think really with krav maga though, I have to emphasize inconsistency in quality, because they are extremely lax with their quality control. The school you're looking at looks like it puts heavy emphasis on weapons technique. At my school they did practice their techniques with resistance using foam knives and such. However, I was never really a fan, whatever floats your boat I guess.

jlewin
7/17/2008 7:28am,
WorldWar...I am fairly new to judo so I have definately never had a match with you. I am about 160lbs...so maybe someday soon. A few weeks ago I would have listed my style as wrestling/boxing (retired lol) I have been looking for a good place to train for years and tried many. After my first day of Judo I knew I had found at least part of my new training foundation. I love it.

Max thanks for sharing your experience with Krav Maga. I became interested b/c a guy who was a friend of my brothers was an instructor (visiting the area) and we sparred casually a little and he was good on his feet and comfortable....seemed to have a good base of techniqeue and experience. However I wasn't totally impressed when I went to one of the local schools...so I definately hear where you are coming from with quality control.

DubhGhaill
7/17/2008 10:06am,
jlewin

I think you might enjoy this page. If you scroll down a little you'll find several complete texts on Judo / ate-waza based military hand to hand.

http://www.judoinfo.com/other.htm

P.S. If you have a background in boxing and wrestling, and are currently studying Judo, you should have no problem putting together a program based on this simple material.

DubhGhaill
7/17/2008 10:36am,
"Founder's History:

* Israeli Special Forces Combat Veteran - 3 Years
* 6th Degree Black Belt- Joe Lewis American Full Contact Karate
* Fourth Degree Black Belt- Survival Hisardut
* First Degree Black Belt- Krav Maga
* Purple Belt- Brazilian Jui-Jitsu
* Certified Muay Thai Kickboxing Instructor"
http://www.fight2survive.com/founders-history.html

If all of the above is true, I'd want to train with him.

jlewin
7/17/2008 1:38pm,
dubhghrail...thanks for the link.

DubhGhaill
7/17/2008 2:22pm,
No problem.

WorldWarCheese
7/17/2008 4:42pm,
"Founder's History:

* Israeli Special Forces Combat Veteran - 3 Years
* 6th Degree Black Belt- Joe Lewis American Full Contact Karate
* Fourth Degree Black Belt- Survival Hisardut
* First Degree Black Belt- Krav Maga
* Purple Belt- Brazilian Jui-Jitsu
* Certified Muay Thai Kickboxing Instructor"

If all of the above is true, I'd want to train with him.
Oh snap. Good find. Yeah, this is a little more legit. Still: The picture of the standing armlock on the dude with the knife and the "OMG HE DISARMED A DUDE WITH A GUN" scene has me remember my LARPing days. Just go to a class and see if it's for you (already recommended by someone else, but it's true).

marcell
7/17/2008 7:02pm,
?I don't get it. If he's trained in KM how can he be teaching Haganah?

I thought they were two different Systems with different founders and lineage. Methinks KM is going to be as confusing as _ing _un soon.

DubhGhaill
7/17/2008 8:56pm,
He trained in Krav, plus all of the above (alledgedly) and then founded Haganah F.I.G.H.T.

Haganah is not the name of the system, it's the name of the militias which pre-date the founding of Israel and the IDF. His dad had served in the militias, so he named the system after dear old dad.

It's all quite clear.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haganah