PDA

View Full Version : Is sweat a measure of anything?

Pages : [1] 2

bitparity
7/09/2008 9:34am,
Of physical exertion? Or cardio usage? Calorie burn? Given that you're in a temperature controlled environment like a gym with minimal humidity. I ask because different activities cause different levels of sweating for me, and I've always wondered if it was representative of something.

Things i've noticed, I sweat more from cardio, even if I don't feel "as tired" vs a workout lifting weights. Deadlifts make me sweat more than any other weight lift, and I almost never sweat from doing benches at all.

Thoughts?

Sang
7/09/2008 9:43am,
It is a good measure of an efficient cooling system and that you are well hydrated. Apart from that not really, although if you haven't broken a sweat in your workout chances are you are not working hard enough.

Emevas
7/09/2008 11:47am,
It's a measure of needing to change clothes.

Odacon
7/09/2008 3:17pm,
Haha stinky sweat!

benonmsn
7/09/2008 3:36pm,
that you are getting hot and your body is trying to cool you down. thats all

TheRuss
7/09/2008 5:00pm,
It's a measure of a few things, some obvious, some not so obvious.

-Obvious enough: You lose body water in sweat, so sweat is a partial measure of how much water you need to drink to replenish. (You also need to replace the water you lose in exhaled breath and urine)
-Less obvious: You lose sodium in sweat. Running low on sodium leads to hyponatremia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia). Sweat can be a gauge of this too.

Assuming you're not dehydrated or suffering from some other health problems that affects your sweat patterns, sweat is also a measure of body temperature.
-Obvious: The hotter your external environment, the more you'll sweat.
-Also obvious: The hotter your internal environment, the more you'll sweat.
--Corollary: Most of the chemical reactions that power your body are exothermic - that is, they release heat, usually as a waste product. More reactions per second = more internal heat = more sweat, so if you're sweating less doing something now than you were before, it may indicate that your body's operating more efficiently (which is usually good) or you're taking longer to do the same amount of work (which is usually bad).
--Another corollary: Body fat can serve as a sort of insulation for the internal organs. Less body fat = less insulation = less sweat required to cool you down to a healthy internal temperature.

In terms of comparisons between weightlifting exercises, Exercise Power Outputs (http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/PowerTidbits.html) is instructive. Basically, output power = output work / time, and output work = weight * vertical displacement. The more weight, the further up the weight moves, and the faster it moves, the more power your body has to generate, and because your body is not perfectly thermally efficient, the more power your body dissipates as waste heat. Of course, in practice it's a lot more complicated than that.

Eddie Hardon
7/09/2008 5:13pm,
It's a sign that you're making an effort.

Emevas
7/09/2008 5:46pm,
It's a sign that you're making an effort.

Screw that, no matter what I do I always sweat. I've ruined many a white shirt just from existing.

Eddie Hardon
7/09/2008 5:55pm,
Screw that, no matter what I do I always sweat. I've ruined many a white shirt just from existing.

Just wait until you get older. Wearing White/Light trousers wil be a problem cos after you leave the toilet, your prostrate starts to make itself known and you'll find you've a leakey faucet. We had a chap like that who we had to refer to the Occupational Therapist. Yep, surgery fixed that leak.

I can wait. :}

Asriel
7/09/2008 5:57pm,
My Gi is normally soaking wet by the time we finish the warmup.

But then our class is in the basement with no ventilation

partyboy
7/09/2008 8:22pm,
for me it usually means the sex is good... it's best when the girl's sweating too

Asriel
7/10/2008 6:16am,
for me it usually means the sex is good... it's best when the girl's sweating too

Do people sweat when they're unconscious?

partyboy
7/10/2008 6:43am,
Do people sweat when they're unconscious?

dunno. but they're definitely more willing to try anal

Eddie Hardon
7/10/2008 6:46am,

Hence that well known line:

"You don't sweat much for a Fat Lass".

bitparity
7/10/2008 12:00pm,
The more weight, the further up the weight moves, and the faster it moves, the more power your body has to generate, and because your body is not perfectly thermally efficient, the more power your body dissipates as waste heat. Of course, in practice it's a lot more complicated than that.

Thanks Russ, that was an awesome answer. Along with that chart, it totally explains why I don't sweat as much benching as I do when deadlifting. Now if only I could do a clean and jerk...

polishillusion
7/13/2008 9:45pm,
It's a measure of a few things, some obvious, some not so obvious.

-Obvious enough: You lose body water in sweat, so sweat is a partial measure of how much water you need to drink to replenish. (You also need to replace the water you lose in exhaled breath and urine)
-Less obvious: You lose sodium in sweat. Running low on sodium leads to hyponatremia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia). Sweat can be a gauge of this too.

Assuming you're not dehydrated or suffering from some other health problems that affects your sweat patterns, sweat is also a measure of body temperature.
-Obvious: The hotter your external environment, the more you'll sweat.
-Also obvious: The hotter your internal environment, the more you'll sweat.
--Corollary: Most of the chemical reactions that power your body are exothermic - that is, they release heat, usually as a waste product. More reactions per second = more internal heat = more sweat, so if you're sweating less doing something now than you were before, it may indicate that your body's operating more efficiently (which is usually good) or you're taking longer to do the same amount of work (which is usually bad).
--Another corollary: Body fat can serve as a sort of insulation for the internal organs. Less body fat = less insulation = less sweat required to cool you down to a healthy internal temperature.

In terms of comparisons between weightlifting exercises, Exercise Power Outputs (http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/PowerTidbits.html) is instructive. Basically, output power = output work / time, and output work = weight * vertical displacement. The more weight, the further up the weight moves, and the faster it moves, the more power your body has to generate, and because your body is not perfectly thermally efficient, the more power your body dissipates as waste heat. Of course, in practice it's a lot more complicated than that.

Coming from the worst old poster ever, you are the best new poster ever.

I love that link, it really shows a great way to understand how much of a work out is a workout.