PDA

View Full Version : help me decide

foxguitar
7/08/2008 8:11am,
Im in a quandry

I recently got the bug to start doing Martial Arts after a 13 year Hiatus. Im 50 years old
I have in the past studied Shotokan 2nd degree Brown , and Tae Kwon Do 2nd Dan Black
anyway to cut to the chase , I have started to search for dojos .
I looked at a Shorin Ryu school , nice but not for me , a TKD , I really dont want to do TKD again , unless it was Tang Soo Do
I looked at a Kempo school , again nice but ....

The two finalists are Kenpo and Shotokan .
Both real nice good instructors , I loved the trial classes in both and if money was no object ,Id do both .

heres the problem. I started my training in Shotokan at age 15 and like I said I got up to 2nd Kyu Brown Belt. It would be a dream come true to earn my Black Belt in that style.

They seem to do alot of sparring and fighting drills with partners , as well as alot of Kata

Now the other school is a Kenpo school , I really liked it , but its totally different , They seem to do more lower kicks and more self defense type stuff . They have one class a week strictly for sparring.

The quandry is they are both cool , they both offer real cool things , I think with the shotokan I like it because , Id love to finally get a Dan in it being I started it with over 35 years ago , The 3 senseis are highly respected , and Im familiar with their lineage . They are all former kumite and kata champions .

The Kenpo is very cool , both instructors are very good practioneers , It be learning a new system , as Kenpo is very different than Shotokan. now mind you in the last 13 years Ive
done heavy bodybuilding and I weigh 245 whearas in my TKD days I was 175 , YIKES LOL

Anybody else have a situation like this.I realize its a good dilemna to be it.

any input would be appreciated.

thanks.

BJJbot
7/08/2008 8:12am,
In spite of what some other web-sites would have you believe, we here at Bullshido.net welcome you, foxguitar, with open arms and hope that you will share with us your unique experiences and ideas on the martial arts.... so that we may then make fun of those experiences and ideas.

Madgrenade
7/08/2008 8:41am,
Go to some more classes? See which crowd you like the best and choose that one. thats what I would do.

foxguitar
7/08/2008 8:46am,
Go to some more classes? See which crowd you like the best and choose that one. thats what I would do.

Thanks

Both groups are both very cool , Both schools have really good instructors ,

I was hoping to hate one of them LOL.

The Kenpo is more self Defense orientatated , Lower Kicks , more wrist locks ,

whereas The Shotokan is well you know Shotokan very strong Linear attacks.

Its a good dilemna .

cheers

BudoMonkey
7/08/2008 8:50am,
Wrist locks?

I would go with the Shotokan.

foxguitar
7/08/2008 9:10am,
Wrist locks?

I would go with the Shotokan.

Thanks for the input , Why do you say Shotokan , just curious.

By wrist locks that hapkido , Akido type , submission techniques LOL

BudoMonkey
7/08/2008 9:17am,
Well, in this instance I said shotokan as anything to steer you away from those "hapkido, aikido type wrist lock submissions" ,which are bullshit.

But I am also a black belt in shotokan, and I think it is a powerful style to learn. I have since trained in muay thai, boxing, sanshou and now mma, and my shotokan base has been applicable and useful in all of these styles. It's especially worth finishing since you got so close years ago. If your school is anything like mine, there will be alot of sparring and always more to learn in the way of practical combat, as opposed to the kenpo which sounds like it has some BS mixed in and might very well dissapoint you in the end if you pour considerable time into it.

M.C.
7/08/2008 9:20am,
Doing wrist locks and stand-up "self defence" myself for more then 5 years I can tell you this is not what you want. Most of that stuff is compliance (even if you don't think so) and roughly 10% of what you learn will work half good.
Go for the Karate and enjoy the sparring.

PS: Welcome to BS... wait I don't know you ... what ever, feel ignored :laughing7

foxguitar
7/08/2008 9:29am,
Well, in this instance I said shotokan as anything to steer you away from those "hapkido, aikido type wrist lock submissions" ,which are bullshit.

But I am also a black belt in shotokan, and I think it is a powerful style to learn. I have since trained in muay thai, boxing, sanshou and now mma, and my shotokan base has been applicable and useful in all of these styles. It's especially worth finishing since you got so close years ago. If your school is anything like mine, there will be alot of sparring and always more to learn in the way of practical combat, as opposed to the kenpo which sounds like it has some BS mixed in and might very well dissapoint you in the end if you pour considerable time into it.

oss, I think you make good points, thank you , I did really like Shotokan .:toothy9:
The senseis are all kumite and kata champions.

foxguitar
7/08/2008 9:31am,
Doing wrist locks and stand-up "self defence" myself for more then 5 years I can tell you this is not what you want. Most of that stuff is compliance (even if you don't think so) and roughly 10% of what you learn will work half good.
Go for the Karate and enjoy the sparring.

PS: Welcome to BS... wait I don't know you ... what ever, feel ignored :laughing7

thanks man , what arts did you take ,

M.C.
7/08/2008 9:43am,
I did Allkampf (German mix of Traditional JiuJitsu, Boxing, TKD, Karate, Judo what not, designed for the Police but never really been used by the Police) SD Karate and ESDO they are all very similar to Kenpo (from what I have seen on videos and stuff).

The problem with most of these "self defence" systems is they assume there is only "one attack" and this is not true.
And they think people will grab your wrist or your sleve, bear hug you or anything of that kind, not gona happen (and even if you can beat the **** out of them).
Pressure points most certainly will not work in a "real fight" they not even work in sparring. Same for most wrist/finger locks. Almost everything that is based on "pain" is compliance and will hardly, if at all, work in a fight. (Not talking about an Armlock, this will either have a pain effect and if not will reduce your opponents ability to fight, a broken finger will not...)

This is what I had to learn the "hard way" by training that stuff for years.

GIJoe6186
7/10/2008 12:23am,
What does that mean that they were kata and kumite champions?

Most Kempo schools, in fact most schools, will claim tons of champions and awards. Theres tons of tournaments out there and most don't mean anything. It even happens in BJJ, a guy can claim silver in the 225 class but there were only two guys who entered, so what does that mean?

As a point of reference, I trained in Kempo, left right before I was going to test for black.

I would steer clear of most Kempo schools. Jut my humble and awesome opinion.