PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Grappling

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Valiss
7/02/2008 3:26pm,
Stand back folks, this guy is serious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2IZMPW3ieU

In the very first demostration, with the guy shooting in keeps his head to one side. *sigh*

They have some demo's of them rolling in the second half of the video.

Enjoy!

DerAuslander
7/02/2008 4:03pm,

tharuz
7/02/2008 4:07pm,
LOL WUT

DerAuslander
7/02/2008 4:11pm,
*Slaps tharuz*

cyrijl
7/02/2008 4:12pm,
Man, I love will farrell.

I bet they bought Eddie Bravo's mastering the twister.

vinhthekid
7/02/2008 4:12pm,
actually, this **** is not as horrendous as i'd thought it would be. it looks like someone's been crosstraining jiu jitsu.

for about 6 months.

DannyMac
7/02/2008 4:16pm,
I had to stop when he started teaching the world's shittiest sprawl against the world's shittiest tackle (looked a lot like a double leg to me) and then explaining that his hand cupping my chin will be stronger than my neck.

There is much fail in this video.

Yojimbo1717
7/02/2008 4:17pm,
Also not as bad as I thought it would be, but Jesus Christ, if you're going to promote cross-training or being 'teh ultimate' - BRING IN A GRAPPLING EXPERT.

Valiss
7/02/2008 4:18pm,
But he is the grappling expert.

Kintanon
7/02/2008 4:20pm,
That was possibly the most homosexual takedown attempt I have ever seen, the guy was fluttering his hands and taking tiny mincing steps, then dropped to his knees like he was about to earn 20 bucks.

Yojimbo1717
7/02/2008 4:26pm,
But he is the grappling expert.
No, he's the guy that's been grappling for a month teaching the guys that are just now realizing that ground fighting is a possibility. The same guys that boo during the ground-fighting parts of UFC.

They are best characterized, in nature of course, as: 'Chuck Liddell is the only UFC fighter ever and would get killed by Kimbo and Cung Le' type fools that get all pissy when a BJJ brown belt taps them out with a knee-on-belly.

droberts
7/02/2008 4:34pm,
LOL @ Red's rear naked choke.

Monkey Punch
7/02/2008 4:53pm,
I googled Shaolin 170 Moves and got this:

http://www.shaolin.com.au/170Moves-Grappling-History.html

Apparently Shaolin totally had grappling over a 1000 years ago.

I don't even have the stamina to mock this. The thing is full of grammatical errors and other mistakes. The section on BJJ has a part from the Sambo section that's an obvious copy/paste mistake. It looks like the author decided to rush out a history on nearly everything that could be considered a grappling style.

What I like about this video is how everyone is doing fairly modern looking immitation of grappling. I wonder, if asked, would they claim that this is how they've always been doing things, or would they admit to adopting ideas from other styles.

Yojimbo1717
7/02/2008 5:32pm,
I googled Shaolin 170 Moves and got this:

http://www.shaolin.com.au/170Moves-Grappling-History.html

Apparently Shaolin totally had grappling over a 1000 years ago.

I don't even have the stamina to mock this. The thing is full of grammatical errors and other mistakes. The section on BJJ has a part from the Sambo section that's an obvious copy/paste mistake. It looks like the author decided to rush out a history on nearly everything that could be considered a grappling style.

What I like about this video is how everyone is doing fairly modern looking immitation of grappling. I wonder, if asked, would they claim that this is how they've always been doing things, or would they admit to adopting ideas from other styles.

No, because Shaolin was first at everything ever and is perfect. Grappling only has so many possibilities, it's not like it's arguably the oldest form of sport/combat that's STILL changing. The monks knew about it and mastered it better than Japan, Brazil and Russia's current standards way back when.

It's like ATP synthesis for energy - the ancient way is the best way because they got it to maximum efficiency early on, or in their case, the first time, before anyone else could be bothered to record it. They didn't need things like trial and error or flat-out evolution for the trends and standards of the 'modern day.' It was war tested, okay? China never lost at war ever. Not then and not now.

Why cover all your bases when you can just fake it years later and claim you had it all along?

I don't even like the Gracies but would love to see a Gracie challenge go down for this.

EternalRage
7/02/2008 5:39pm,
crappling in sleeveless Starfleet uniforms is the ****

Valiss
7/02/2008 5:42pm,
crappling in sleeveless Starfleet uniforms is the ****

Beam me out of this arm bar, Scotty!