PDA

View Full Version : Racer X: Shotokan stylist?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Ten-ten
7/01/2008 4:57pm,
I saw the movie "Speed Racer" with my son last month.

In the scene where Racer X is being atttacked by ninjas, was he using Shotokan? It seemed he was using a solid stance and strong power moves.

Can any one comment on this?

Thanks.

BackFistMonkey
7/01/2008 5:03pm,
I saw the movie "Speed Racer" with my son last month.

In the scene where Racer X is being atttacked by ninjas, was he using Shotokan? It seemed he was using a solid stance and strong power moves.

Can any one comment on this?

Thanks.

Are you saying he was really heavy and low in his stance and used single killing strikes to finish off ninjas ?

Because if so then of course it was Shotokan . It is one of the best ways to kill ninjas .

tharuz
7/01/2008 5:06pm,
How long will it take for these kung fu fights in non-kung fu hollywood films to die from **** cancer?

escrimador6
7/01/2008 5:14pm,
How long will it take for these kung fu fights in non-kung fu hollywood films to die from **** cancer?

A better question is how long will it take for Hollywood to stop making shitty movies like Speed Racer?

tharuz
7/01/2008 5:20pm,
A better question is how long will it take for Hollywood to stop making shitty movies like Speed Racer?

Never.

Hollywood's full of scientologists.

escrimador6
7/01/2008 5:25pm,
Never.

Hollywood's full of scientologists.

Hollywood is full of greedy assholes and the world is full of people with crappy taste in movies.

maofas
7/01/2008 5:25pm,
Actually, Shotokan was developed for the specific purpose of killing ninjas.

At a time when Japan was controlled by ninja tyranny, Gichin Funakoshi knowing that most ninjas trained nothing but defense vs. a single lunge punch their entire lives, developed a new technique called the reverse punch for which the ninjas had no known defense. In all Gichin slayed over 50 ninjas, after which he chopped off most of their horns with knife hand strikes for keepsakes.

Moenstah
7/01/2008 5:31pm,
You mean this?

YouTube - Speed Racer - Clip "Ninja Attack" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4TFutiWT-I)

That's plain old Movie Fu

tharuz
7/01/2008 5:41pm,
Hollywood is full of greedy assholes and the world is full of people with crappy taste in movies.

To be fair to the dumbass vox populi, most people don't know what they're going to get until after they see the movie.

Just look at the shitfest that was Cloverfield, fucking camera made me dizzy, and there was no other decent option to watch.

Of course, motherfuckers who go see "Speed Racer" have no excuse.

I'd rather go see wall-e than that ****.

nomamao
7/01/2008 5:42pm,
I think that fight scene was a nod to the fighting in the Matrix, as even the soundtrack for that scene seems oddly familiar, but that could just be me. Not shotokan. Sorry.

Actually, I really liked the CGI and the slick direction of Speed Racer. For anyone going "huh?" to that, you actually had to be in the theater watching it, or you just don't know.

escrimador6
7/01/2008 5:54pm,
or you just don't know.

I'm okay with not knowing. I hated the cartoon and I hated The Matrix.

tharuz
7/01/2008 5:56pm,
I think that fight scene was a nod to the fighting in the Matrix, as even the soundtrack for that scene seems oddly familiar, but that could just be me. Not shotokan. Sorry.

Actually, I really liked the CGI and the slick direction of Speed Racer. For anyone going "huh?" to that, you actually had to be in the theater watching it, or you just don't know.

**** You.

Kid Miracleman
7/01/2008 5:56pm,
If it makes you guys feel any better, Pops Racer uses Greco-Roman Wrestling to toss the ninjas around.

Kid Miracleman
7/01/2008 5:57pm,
And for the record, I did like "Speed Racer." It was diverting enough, and I really dug the visual style.

nomamao
7/01/2008 6:04pm,
I'm okay with not knowing. I hated the cartoon and I hated The Matrix.

Hey, If you didn't like the cartoon (first anime to cross over to American audiences) or the Matrix (ground-breaking special effects and a post-apocalyptic/cyberpunk masterpiece) then I guess you'd really be happy not to see Speed Racer. You did yourself a favor in not going.

nomamao
7/01/2008 6:06pm,
**** You.

Be gentle.