PDA

View Full Version : Why

Pages : [1] 2 3

Disaster Master
12/03/2003 8:30am,
Why do more people go to Mc Dojos than to MMA clubs?
Why after watching the UFC would anyone take Bullshido?
Why do some people insist that Bullshido works but refuse to compete in MMA?

Will McDojos and Bullshido always be with us?

drunkenj
12/03/2003 8:37am,
because most people are stupid
because they are stupid
because they have ego, but not the tools to back it up

yes

SLJ
12/03/2003 10:09am,
1. It's easier, people will always take the easier/better looking option. Ignorance is also a factor in this one.

2. See above.

3. If you continually convince yourself of something, you will believe it. Again many people believe if something is more pleasing to the eye, it must be better. Also many have trouble accepting how simple reality is.

4. Without doubt, a big yes.

IronBuddha
12/03/2003 10:14am,
Disaster Master,

I've coached MA for a while now. It seems that a large portion, possibly more so than any other sport/athletic, of MA students are looking for something other than pure combat ability. Generally, they are trying to make up for low self-esteem, fear, etc. Bullshido appeals to them since it does not require the blood sweat and tears before they can tell themselves that they have compensated for their inadequacies. The lucky ones build their confidence on their ability with their fists, which is true confidence after all.

Most that take bullshido have too much invested in bullshido to ever admit it doesn't work.

The UFC isn't exactly the most glorious image for MA. For the most part, the general public thinks of the early ones where people looked more like bar bouncers than MA'ers. More K-1, Pride and recent UFC's need to be broadcasted on tv rather than pay per view and the general public MAY start coming around. Displays of skill are required for respect to be gained. Keep in mind that most parents and kids haven't seen this stuff. Then we got Discovery doing stuff on XMA - Wushu on crack - and messes everything up for the rest of us. I had relatives asking me about that. I just smile and say, sure! those guys can kick my ass!

Bullshido is the product of human weakness: ignorance, fear, greed. It's here to stay.

SamHarber
12/03/2003 10:46am,
Why do more people go to Mc Dojos than to MMA clubs?
where I live (big town near Manchester) there are no MMA gyms but lots of TMAs. Whether these are McDojo or not, I don't know. Theres MMA in manchester, but still much more TMA. Also TMAs know how to advertise. I've never seen an add for an MMA gym in any mainstream media.

Why after watching the UFC would anyone take Bullshido?
Becuase MMA doesn't appeal to them. Also, theres a world of difference between TMA and bullshido.

Why do some people insist that Bullshido works but refuse to compete in MMA?
Maybe they're not competetive? Pacifists? any one of a slew of reasons. I'm assuming again that when you say bullshido, you actually mean TMA.

Will McDojos and Bullshido always be with us?
Always.

Ronin
12/03/2003 10:58am,
As I have been told MANY times here, MOST people DO NOT take MA for fighting, so it DOESN'T matter what they do, as long as they are having "fun".

SLJ
12/03/2003 11:04am,
They're not the problem though.

It's all the Bullshidoshi's selling their garbage as gold.

Remmah
12/03/2003 11:30am,
I took a TMA because it works, I have never been in a situation that I couldn't get out of. I know how to defend my self, and I know how to talk my way out of a fight, one of these are far more important than the other.

I have also noticed that most MMA people seem to be really cocky, and go to bars and try to start fights, to me that is just wrong.

Justme
12/03/2003 11:33am,
"I have also noticed that most MMA people seem to be really cocky, and go to bars and try to start fights, to me that is just wrong."

I don't frequent bars, but I have found just the opposite from MMA people I have met. I think they are confident in their abilities don't need to fight everyone. In fact, I think they know better then to get into unauthorized altercations. Being prosecuted for assault can conflict with training.

Ronin
12/03/2003 11:37am,
OK, what the **** is "mixed martial arts" ??? as oppose to MARTIAL ARTS ???

Deadpan Scientist
12/03/2003 11:39am,
exactly

Kempocos
12/03/2003 11:50am,
OK, what the **** is "mixed martial arts" ??? as oppose to MARTIAL ARTS ???

Agreed!

A catch phrase that will bring the McDojo mind set to groundfighting. Example the gym where I lift offers TKD. I choose to train else where, They annouce that they have a MMA class starting. I say cool and show up, hell it is free with my membership. The " instructor shows up and here is a maybe 20 year old kid who states he trained a little with a guy who trained under a guy who is a blue belt under one of the Gracies ( I know which one but that is not important). He then starts the whole " all you need is a bjj because 99% of fights are on the ground" then starts asking who trains MA and comments negativly on each. I would have gone back if it was the Gracie Bluebelt because they know how to train and as he advances in knowledge he could pass it on.

I have always trained in DOJO's taht covered standing and ground games, if they did not I trained in more than one DOJO.

Freddy
12/03/2003 1:45pm,
My take is because theres more McDojo's out there than mix martial arts schools. ANd they are cheaper.

FingerorMoon?
12/03/2003 4:39pm,
Why do people keep starting threads on the same topics ?

Meteora
12/03/2003 5:03pm,
because first there was the earth
then dinosaur's
then came man emerging from a cave ignorant
6000 thousand year's later man invented the internet.

poet
12/03/2003 8:35pm,
"6000 thousand year's later man invented the internet."

I thought Gore did?