PDA

View Full Version : American Jiu Jitsu by Len Lanius

lklawson
6/18/2008 6:16pm,
It is my absolute pleasure to present this republication of "American Jiu Jitsu" by Len Lanius. As usual, PDF is free for download.

Available at: http://stores.lulu.com/lawson

Blurb:

Born about 1865 in Cincinnati, Len Lanius began wrestling around the age of 12, eventually wrestling on the Vaudeville circuit before retiring and joining the Sports staff with the Cincinnati Post. Lanius claimed to have held the title of Lightweight Champion Wrestler of the World, which would have been around 1890.

After the famous Gotch-Hackenschmidt matches of 1908, Lanius started developing his “American Jiu Jitsu.” In his own words, “it was the invasion of the Jap wrestlers around that time that put me to work on perfecting a style of defense to check their attack. Their methods were quite baffling.”

In March of 1921, Lanius demonstrated his creation, “Yankee Jiu Jitsu,” to the Rotary Club and, again in June of 1921, he demoed his Jiu Jitsu to the Kiwanis. In 1922 he published this book, “American Jiu Jitsu.”

Special thanks to Jason Couch and the Martial History Magazine at: http://martialhistory.com for making the original of this document available for republishing.

MrBadGuy
6/18/2008 6:37pm,
Awesome, as per usual! Always a fan.

lklawson
6/18/2008 6:48pm,
A lot of good stuff in it, but I rather disagree with his advice on how to practice.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Kentucky Fried Chokin
6/18/2008 10:42pm,
Finally. I tired of this damned forigen jiu-jitsu.

sum yung gai
6/18/2008 11:35pm,
I can't wait for New Zealand Jiu Jitsu. Say what you will about practicing on Sheep, but I don't want to be doing the same Jiu Jitsu as those filthy convicts over the ditch.

Just kidding, all you convicts! Thanks for AC/DC and John Will (who's coming to my school tomorrow, but of course, I'm too poor to attend the seminar).

lklawson
6/19/2008 7:29pm,
There was a sort of Cultural Pride that existed for the West in the 19th and early 20th Century, not unlike the Cultural Pride that exists for many other cultures today.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

SoulMechanic
6/20/2008 12:03am,
I can't wait for New Zealand Jiu Jitsu. Say what you will about practicing on Sheep, but I don't want to be doing the same Jiu Jitsu as those filthy convicts over the ditch.

Just kidding, all you convicts! Thanks for AC/DC and John Will (who's coming to my school tomorrow, but of course, I'm too poor to attend the seminar). New Zealand Jiu Jitsu has been around for ever man. Not like having a couple kiwi's bouncing around your face while man on man wrastlin is something new brother..........

sum yung gai
6/20/2008 1:05am,
Eeewww! Nice use of the term "Kiwis" as innuendo... I tried to rep you, but the machine says I must have a crush on you. Clearly I've got some issues to sort out, but as long as I still have that bottomless jar of Vaseline, I think I'm gonna make it.

socratic
6/20/2008 3:31am,
Of all the people I could give rep to, WHY CAN'T I GIVE IT TO THE MARTIALIST HISTORIAN!?

Seriously, sweet find dude. Very impressed.

Upon actually reading the document, it makes me wonder very much about the origin of no-gi Judo, and how well-practiced such a notion was in original Judo circles. This gentleman may have been the first, even.

I liked the armbar-using-various-surfaces-including-his-own-arm thing.

lklawson
6/20/2008 7:37pm,
New Zealand Jiu Jitsu has been around for ever man. Not like having a couple kiwi's bouncing around your face while man on man wrastlin is something new brother..........
You've sullied the good name of American Jiu Jitsu with your "warstlin" comment! I demand satisfaction!

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson
6/20/2008 8:31pm,
Of all the people I could give rep to, WHY CAN'T I GIVE IT TO THE MARTIALIST HISTORIAN!?
Very kind of you to think of me. Console yourself with the knowledge that varrots are just a local board representation of actual online rep. If I have rep with you, then I've got rep. :-)

Seriously, sweet find dude. Very impressed.
Jason Couch deserves credit. Please thank him by pinging his site, martialhistory.com

Upon actually reading the document, it makes me wonder very much about the origin of no-gi Judo, and how well-practiced such a notion was in original Judo circles. This gentleman may have been the first, even.
A very astute observation. I hadn't considered it, but you're right, there may be some merit to this line. I'd always figured the first no-gi judo players were either Tani or Uyenshi on the wrestling circuit, but maybe not.

I liked the armbar-using-various-surfaces-including-his-own-arm thing.
Yeah, very forward looking.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

boomvark
6/20/2008 11:13pm,
Great links! I've just started going through the freebie downloads, and at least a couple of them look definitely worth having in hard copy.

That Martial History site looks like a gold mine, too. Thank you for posting this thread!

lklawson
6/20/2008 11:35pm,
Great links! I've just started going through the freebie downloads, and at least a couple of them look definitely worth having in hard copy.
Glad you find some use in them. I'm really quite excited about republishing these old manuals. I've got several more in the works right now. The most daunting is Billy "Bombardier" Williams' "Physical Energy" boxing manual. Comparatively, it's a huge tome. Chock full of good stuff though. But I'll likely be coming out with a classic "Scientific Wrestling" CaCC manual first.

That Martial History site looks like a gold mine, too. Thank you for posting this thread!
Yes, Jason's site is excellent. He puts a lot of effort into it. I loved his article on the evolution of electric stun weapons. Again, I owe a special thank you to him for providing me with scans of the original work to republish.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Blue Negation
6/21/2008 1:48am,
just wanted to chime in to say that you're awesome, lklawson. I'm always ridiculously pleased when I see a new thread with some gem of MA history you've unearthed.