PDA

View Full Version : New to the Site, MA...

Feel the Burn
11/30/2003 10:13pm,
Hello everyone, I'm quite interested in the Martial Arts, but have never had a chance to study anything. Over the summer I became friends with a guy...he and his 2 brothers are cage fighters in Lexington, KY. They all seem very knowledgeable about this stuff. I became very interested in mixed MA and decided that it would be something I want to pursue in college (I just turned 18). I have been looking at this kind of stuff on the internet, but I would like to start training soon. I would just like some recommendations and advice from anyone.

I'm about 5'11 185 lbs...
I'm in the Louisville, KY area
I'm in very good shape, I was an all-City running back in High School, and I lift weights and run semi-regularly (need to do that more)
I have no previous MA experience, but I wrestle people pretty frequently, including trained grapplers/wrestlers, and I feel I have a better than average grasp of groundwork and general grappling tactics.

I would like to eventually learn multiple styles, but I would like some reccomendations of how/where to start, maybe some workout regimens or stretches. Also, my friends who are into Ultimate Fighting do special excersises to toughen their bones...mostly fists, elbows, feet, and shins. Should I start doing this?

If someone knowledgable could give me some good advice, I would be most grateful. Especially through recommending a good school/training facility/instructor.

J-kid
11/30/2003 10:18pm,
Well welcome and STFUNooB..

You probley want to do some MMA so look into MTKickboxing Boxing Judo Brazilian Jujitsu Wrestling etc.....MMA in general.

Nihilanthic
11/30/2003 10:23pm,
Wrestle in school, do boxing somewhere, most cities have that...

If you find a Judo place, which most cities have too, good for you, just ask if they'll ever do non-olympic stuff like double leg takedownds and ground work. Take what you can get but don't be afraid to ask for more.

Look around in your area for what is there... you might be surprised pleasantly.

Feel the Burn
11/30/2003 11:53pm,
is there anyone on the boards who knows of any good places to start in the louisville area?

blankslate
12/01/2003 12:10am,
Jkid and Nih are correct.

Start thinking in terms of mastering Standup Range, Clinch, and Ground. (Thanks Matt T.)

You'll want to cross train in Boxing/Kickboxing/MT, Greco/Judo and keep all your Wrestling, and BJJ/Catch.

At a minimum you must Box, find Judo, and get some tapes on BJJ AFTER you find a Judo School.

But you knew that already so STFU N00b..

blankslate
12/01/2003 12:14am,
"Also, my friends who are into Ultimate Fighting do special excersises to toughen their bones...mostly fists, elbows, feet, and shins. Should I start doing this?"

No.

Feel the Burn
12/01/2003 9:15am,
http://www.geocities.com/toshi_dojo/

has anyone heard of this place...does this look like a good place to start?

before i sign up for anything i would definatly want to sit in on a place and watch some of the training. what are some qualities of good instructors?

Wu De
12/01/2003 10:34am,
I haven't heard of the dojo before but John Wortley is well known, he's good, if he's taking a class personally then it should be a good class.

Welcome to Bullshido.