PDA

View Full Version : The only reason you don't see Kempo in the cage...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Ke?poFist
6/10/2008 5:52pm,
...Is because they don't allow you to strike to the throat or groin. Nearly every Kempo technique follows a sequence of strikes following from the groin to the throat. This is because the ultimate goal of a Kempo fighter is to completely defeat his assailant IN THE REAL WORLD, and not just show how macho he is in a cage fight. We don't want to take the chance that our opponent can just get up because he was simply knocked out or submitted, and continue to assault us. The idea is to kill or be killed. If you want to see two alpha males hump each other to see who's better, go watch pro wrestling the UFC or the discovery channel.

Just because something doesn't work in the UFC doesn't mean it's no good. You guys should actually train in stuff before you criticize.

brouslee
6/10/2008 5:54pm,
What if you're in a fight that's BEAT UP OR BE BEATEN UP as opposed to the usual KILL OR BE KILLED?

Rivington
6/10/2008 5:55pm,
A series of strikes from groin to throat? I've had dates like that!

Ke?poFist
6/10/2008 5:57pm,
What if you're in a fight that's BEAT UP OR BE BEATEN UP as opposed to the usual KILL OR BE KILLED?

Typical response. If you're fighting, and not for your life, you could have walked away. And people around here wonder why MMA guys have been stereotyped as hot-headed jerks.

lionknight
6/10/2008 5:58pm,
So… by removing two striking targets (one to the throat and one to the groin) Kempo becomes completely useless?

brouslee
6/10/2008 5:59pm,
Typical response. If you're fighting, and not for your life, you could have walked away. And people around here wonder why MMA guys have been stereotyped as hot-headed jerks.
what about MAN 2 MAN FIGHT for honor like in those movies, would you walk away and feel like more of a man by not fightling like a man?

Ke?poFist
6/10/2008 6:02pm,
what about MAN 2 MAN FIGHT for honor like in those movies, would you walk away and feel like more of a man by not fightling like a man?

fighting should not be taken lightly. Besides if you truly wanted to fight just for the sake of fighting, then I'd truly advocate training in something like boxing or BJJ. Nothing wrong with them. But they're not real self defense. Don't get me wrong, they can be used for self defense, but their tactics are not the most practical.

G-Off
6/10/2008 6:02pm,

Shut the **** up.

I'm with lionknight, why does eliminating the groin/throat make Kempo useless in MMA? All it takes is a bit of a shift for it to become liver/chin, which is pretty damn effective.

ADM
6/10/2008 6:03pm,
So can we say Kyokushin and Shotokan work in the cage because Lyoto Machina and GSP rock hardcore?

Also isn't Chuck Liddelle a Kempo fighter? Hence his tattoo? Sorry I'm not sure where you're heading with this thread.

brouslee
6/10/2008 6:04pm,
fighting should not be taken lightly. Besides if you truly wanted to fight just for the sake of fighting, then I'd truly advocate training in something like boxing or BJJ. Nothing wrong with them. But they're not real self defense. Don't get me wrong, they can be used for self defense, but their tactics are not the most practical.
Well I know some crazy fma and silat stuff that is supposed to be as deadly as kenpo fosho

LThornton
6/10/2008 6:08pm,
Also isn't Chuck Liddelle a Kempo fighter? Hence his tattoo? Sorry I'm not sure where you're heading with this thread.

Liddell's a Hawaiian Kempo guy... his coach's own style, derived from Kajukenbo, I guess.

G-Off
6/10/2008 6:11pm,
Is this a troll thread, btw? It's just too obvious a blend of the sport/street and "too d34dly" arguments. Plus, aiming to kill in any confrontation? The art becomes useless with 2 strikes made illegal?

All this from a user with a high post count and lots of green varrots?

Definitely troll thread.

lionknight
6/10/2008 6:15pm,
Is this a troll thread, btw? It's just too obvious a blend of the sport/street and "too d34dly" arguments. Plus, aiming to kill in any confrontation? The art becomes useless with 2 strikes made illegal?

Definitely troll thread.

awwww -- I thought troll treads were supposed to hit 20 pages before anyone caught on :icon_rr:

brouslee
6/10/2008 6:16pm,

Definitely troll thread.
ITS JUST TOO DEADLY FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND GO AWAY PLZ

G-Off
6/10/2008 6:18pm,
ITS JUST TOO DEADLY FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND GO AWAY PLZ

Shut up, you're not entertaining.

brouslee
6/10/2008 6:20pm,
Shut up, you're not entertaining.
Shut up, you're not recovered yet.
http://www.zmabudo.com/images/Kelly%20M%20point%20sparring%202.jpg