PDA

View Full Version : First BJJ Lesson...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

mrgoshthereturn
6/10/2008 6:43am,
I'm going to my first bjj lesson on saturday, just looking for tricks and tips, things to look out for and to know if theres any dojo etiquette. I already had a few e-mail chats with the instructors/ Anything else i should do or know

jsteel
6/10/2008 6:52am,
Watch out for guys that can make you tap out! jk

Good Luck.

3moose1
6/10/2008 7:02am,
Easy, dude, just walk in, act like you know everything.

Talk loudly during instruction, and call out different colored belts in a loud/dramatic fashion

Asriel
6/10/2008 7:11am,
Just turn up, listen to what your coach(es) tell you, don't talk while they're instructing and enjoy the class.

REMEMBER: sparring is not a fight and you're not going to win any belts. Take it easy and tap when you're stuck. Attempting to muscle out and delaying the inevitable because of some manly pride is only going to hamper your development.

mrgoshthereturn
6/10/2008 7:39am,
Easy, dude, just walk in, act like you know everything.

Talk loudly during instruction, and call out different colored belts in a loud/dramatic fashion

Thanks, I'll do just that (and get my ass handed to me)

And thanks for the tips Asriel. Humility will be the order of the day.

wanabeshinobi
6/10/2008 8:03am,
Anything else i should do or know
It's only gay if you make eye contact

The Question
6/10/2008 9:04am,
Don't post inquiries about your first BJJ class in YMAS.

The forum is overrun by idiots. Seriously. Run, rabbit.

3moose1
6/10/2008 9:10am,
sparring is a fight and you're going to win belts. Take it easy but don't tap when you're stuck. Attempting to muscle out and delaying the inevitable because of some manly pride is only going to help your development.

Fixed that for you...

TheMightyMcClaw
6/10/2008 9:30am,
I'm going to base this advice off of the fact that you do Bujinkan, and my experience grappling with other people who did Ninjutsu.
Remember that BJJ is about leverage, not pain compliance. Every time (which is three in total) I've rolled with someone who did some form of Ninjutsu, they always try and pinch my hands or some **** whenever I have a dominant position. This doesn't work. At best, it kind of tickles.
Remember to relax, take it slow, and work your way out of bad spots through mechanical leverage.

The Question
6/10/2008 9:32am,
All of you, shut the **** up. Now.

Dude, go to the motherfucking class and do what the instructor tells you to do.

After you have done so, you may post a thread describing in detail how you held your own against some blue belt, almost owning him with face grabs and fingerlocks while the populace attempts to lay into you.

G-Off
6/10/2008 10:01am,
If you roll, and some instructors will let you, don't worry about winning. Not getting tapped is not an accomplishment, learning is an accomplishment.

nameless44
6/10/2008 10:35am,
Make sure you shower, brush your teeth, and trim your nails before the class. No one likes rolling with a stanky ass ************.

M.C.
6/10/2008 10:39am,
Make sure you shower, brush your teeth, and trim your nails before the class. No one likes rolling with a stanky ass ************.
Quoted for truth

Asriel
6/10/2008 10:43am,
Fixed that for you...

Stop being a **** for the sake of it.

That was the most unfunny and unorignal thing I have ever had the misfortune to read.

Gabetuno
6/10/2008 10:50am,
This thread is going all wrong considering the forum...

NINJERS SUCK BAWLS!

Theeeeere we go. Aaaaaaaah.

sum yung gai
6/10/2008 7:41pm,
Hopefully the other folks in your class will be laid back. When I first started, there was this big-ass American wrestler guy with a competitive streak a mile wide. Needless to say, I learned the importance of icing down my elbows and knee-caps. Even if it's just a little bit of a tingle, it's something you can do pre-emptively.

Long story short, make sure you've got a few ice-packs in your freezer. Hopefully you won't need 'em, but if you do, you'll be glad they're on hand.