PDA

View Full Version : can someone explain this to me?

Pages : [1] 2

fernando
11/27/2003 2:03pm,
candle punch exercises

what are they and how does it improve your punches or fighting technique

thanks

Ronin
11/27/2003 2:07pm,
I have herd 2 theories behind this:
You blow out the candle with the wind created by your punch as it stops in front of the flame.
You blow out the candle by the "vaucum" created as you withdraw the fist after punch the flame.

Deadpan Scientist
11/27/2003 2:09pm,
It's supposed to teach "snap"

fernando
11/27/2003 2:10pm,
damn! thanks

couldnt you get the same exercise with a speed bag, or is that different?

Deadpan Scientist
11/27/2003 2:11pm,
Dunno, I'm sure there are plenty of ways to train the same thing...

patfromlogan
11/27/2003 2:28pm,
I don't know about how it helps fighting technique in specific terms. Candle punching teaches speed, control, and precision. Oyama wrote that the candle and paper thrust techniques were for speed rather than strength. He said that only exceptional people could put out large width candles or put a hole in a hanging piece of paper.

A few years ago, in a black belt class, after having been knocked out by a spinning ridge hand to the neck and within a few weeks having my nose broken, I asked the head instructor if we could do Kyokushin and Kajukenbo "control" exercises. In Kajukenbo we'd kick and punch cinder blocks (without gloves) with the ideal being to just tap the surface. In this school we didn't get to that level. We started with cardboard, then wood, and by then the some of the black belts had bloody hands. Control isn't a big part of their system. We did the candle exercises also. I think that it teaches to strike fast, with 'snap.' It is easy to cheat by waving or pulling back to create air waves. There are lots of odd training techniques like this. Blocking arrows, thrusting into water, beans, or gravel, hitting maki wara boards (walking on rice paper like Kung Fu?)

Ronin
11/27/2003 2:37pm,
I have never cared too much for striking into the "air", specially full speed.
To hard on the joints.
Speed is best done on the focus mitts or a "light" punching bag.

CanuckMA
11/27/2003 2:49pm,
But think of the very serious 'cool factor' when you do it to your birthday cake :)

fernando
11/27/2003 2:52pm,
i never understood the reason for punching boards and cinderblocks, seems that those types of exercises would be prone to injury.

Ronin
11/27/2003 3:48pm,
breaking boards is a easy way to gauge your "power" , the force of your strikes, IF and its a big IF. The boards are NOT spaced, the boards are held ridgid the same way all the time.

Mr. Mantis
11/27/2003 4:03pm,
Same goes with block breaking, striking power gauge.

Ronin
11/27/2003 4:09pm,
give you an example:
5 - 1" boards 12" x 12" stacked together will require 1300 lbs of force to break, id you break them you have hit with at least that much.

fernando
11/27/2003 4:37pm,
ok i understand the power gauge, but how would it apply to sparring and actual fighting?

BiggieSmalls
11/27/2003 10:19pm,
board/brick breaking exercises and candle punches arent going to help improve anything, theyre just supposed to show you whether or not your generating enough power or speed with the particular technique. If u don't break the brick or put out the candle, it is supposed to show u that ur not strong enough or fast enough

ABTB
12/04/2003 1:58am,
It's also a mental exercise. When performed in public it's not subjective like forms or even some types of sparring. Either the candles go out or they don't and there is absolutely no grey area even to the most ignorant observer.

KageReaper
12/04/2003 2:11am,
i had a teacher once who had me put out a candle with a bokken. It definately helped my precision (I broke the first candle though)