PDA

View Full Version : Message to Gary Shaw of EliteXC

Pages : [1] 2

Phrost
6/04/2008 11:22am,
Hi Gary, Bullshido here. We just wanted to take a few minutes of your time to thank you for getting MMA on network TV... and talk about a few other things.

Seriously though, we're glad you're increasing the viewership of the sport we've loved and supported since Gerard Gordeau kicked Teila Tulli's tooth across the announcer's stand at UFC 1, though Presidential hopeful John McCain's attempts to snuff it out, and to the current wave of douchey TUF noobs in straight-brimmed baseball caps and $70 t-shirts.

Thank you for getting MMA on CBS. While we're not sure that a network noted for crime dramas catering to pre-retirement baby boomers was the ideal choice, we understand that sometimes you just have to reel in the fish that bites. Maybe you can even work out a deal to get a pilot shot for CSI: MMA where a hard-nosed brother detective team (played by Ken and Frank Shamrock) use one liners and dramatic donning of sunglasses to investigate prematurely stopped fights. We digress.

We need to have a little chat about something, and no, it's not about the early stoppages that everyone's complaining about, or the production values that we're sure will improve with time.

It's this statement that you made, in an interview (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/06/03/elitexcs-gary-shaw-an-early-stoppage-is-never-detrimental-to/) for AOL Sports:

Where do you think Kimbo fits in among the top heavyweights in MMA?
I don't know. He's still in the learning process. He needs to work on his cardio a lot more. In his stand-up game, he is probably number one. I don't think on the ground he's in the top 10. As a striker, he's probably number one.

What?

No, really.

What?

We know you have to hype up your fighters, and Kimbo is a big, bread-eating internet meme cash cow for you. But come on now. Let us introduce you to a little piece of footage:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKb1jeg-fgI)

If you can't be bothered to watch it, I'll sum it up for you. In a challenge fight with Journeyman pro Sean Gannon, under rules which Team Kimbo set to restrict to stand-up striking only for his advantage, Kimbo himself resorts to grappling in order to avoid being dominated.

Sean Gannon's not a bad fighter, but he's nowhere near the best striker in MMA.

Kimbo's come a long way since the heady days of fighting in parking lots. He's training with good people and learning the full MMA game. Good for him, we wish him the best of luck.

But come on, even though you qualified your statement with "probably", that doesn't cut it. There's no "probably" when you run your own MMA promotion. You can prove he's the best by matching him up with a real striker. We hear CroCop's on the rebound after not doing so well in the UFC. He's a good striker. And on a related note, how about Mark Hunt? we're sure all 60,000+ of us here would pay to see a fight between Kimbo and Hunt. Make it happen.

We sincerely hope that your statement was just an attempt at hype, and not indicative of a lack of knowledge about MMA and what constitutes good striking. We'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this one, but don't prove us wrong. MMA's fan base is still primarily made up of people who know the sport, love the sport, and unlike boxing, actually train in the sport. We know good striking because we've had our asses kicked by it.

So we'll call it even; you don't talk to us like we're stupid, and we won't give you too much flak for shady stoppages, sub-WWE production values, and skanky dancers.

Rolling Stoned
6/04/2008 11:33am,
Kimbo vs Mark Hunt would be so fun to watch.

Snake Plissken
6/04/2008 11:35am,
Gary Shaw has been watching the "Best of Don King's Fight Hype" DVD series.

G-Off
6/04/2008 11:41am,
Kimbo vs Mark Hunt would be so fun to watch.

For all of the 3 minutes it lasted. Hunt would toy with him the whole time.

OZZ
6/04/2008 11:41am,
Nice letter, Phrost. Did this actually get sent to Gary Shaw?

BudoMonkey
6/04/2008 11:43am,
I'm just hoping on a Kimbo vs Brett Rogers match. I know Shawey-boy said that it wouldn't happen, but here's hoping Brett's open letter challenging Kimbo will change that.

http://www.cagepotato.com/2008/06/03/open-letter-from-brett-rogers-and-team-bison/#more-1583

Rolling Stoned
6/04/2008 11:54am,
For all of the 3 minutes it lasted. Hunt would toy with him the whole time.

Exactly the reason why it would be fun to watch.

E-Van
6/04/2008 11:58am,
Excellent letter. Be nice to get a reply.

G-Off
6/04/2008 11:58am,
Exactly the reason why it would be fun to watch.

I just wanna see Hunt's hands down, chin out taunt like he did against Ray Sefo while taking everything Kimbo can throw and laughing at him. Then Kimbo will go for a takedown out of desperation, and Hunt will beat his ass down.

Shawarma
6/04/2008 1:30pm,
Kimbo Slice vs Hunt fight, courtesy of some guy on Youtube:
YouTube - Kimbo Slice VS Mark Hunt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAgpnow_I6A)

G-Off
6/04/2008 1:33pm,
Kimbo Slice vs Hunt fight, courtesy of some guy on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAgpnow_I6A

My god, it's like...it's like looking into the future.

Southpaw
6/04/2008 2:03pm,
that youtube video is awesome.

Great letter Phrost!

Nathan McScary
6/04/2008 4:44pm,
Well written, but it'd make more sense to me if the letter was about the early stoppages since that actually affects the product, whereas one promoters opinion, while laughable, is just that; an opinion used as a vehicle for hype.

I too dispute Shaw's claim, but that Gannon fight was five years ago. People can change a lot in five years, especially with top notch training like what Kimbo is getting. Also, I wouldn't really call Sean Gannon a journeyman since he only has two pro fights, but that's just me.

Vince Tortelli
6/04/2008 5:09pm,
Reading the youtube comments on the Gannon-Kimbo fight video make me think that the world suddenly ending tomorrow might not be that bad of a thing.

maofas
6/04/2008 6:44pm,
Not joking: I would be 250% more likely to watch EliteXC again if the announcers would stop yelling all of the time trying to be X-treme.

maofas
6/04/2008 6:48pm,
Err, that was meant for the thread I had open on the other tab, feel free to delete that/these. I apologize, this is more complicated stoned.