PDA

View Full Version : Count Dante back in the 60's & 70's

Buckwheat
5/28/2008 1:25pm,
I read with interest that someone said he was around back in the
Count Dante days, and he also mentioned that he currently competes in MMA competition today. If he was around during the "Count's" day, he would be too old to compete today. The Count has been dead over 20 years and ceased being active in martial arts way before that...I first came in contact with him in the early 60's before he took on the name Count Dante, Hair Dresser and Deadliest Man Alive. He was a total fraud and a street thug who even had a lion as his school mascot. He went from about 5th kyu to third degree black belt in less than a year and then in the next 4 or 5 years made it to 8th Degree black belt in something or other.....Back then , the south side of Chicago ( where he lived ) was flooded with very high level ( fake ) black belt karate people....all tough guys I am sure in their own right....but certainly not comparable with any of todays martial arts people.

Kung-Fu Joe
5/28/2008 1:32pm,
I read with interest that someone said he was around back in the
Count Dante days, and he also mentioned that he currently competes in MMA competition today. If he was around during the "Count's" day, he would be too old to compete today. The Count has been dead over 20 years and ceased being active in martial arts way before that...I first came in contact with him in the early 60's before he took on the name Count Dante, Hair Dresser and Deadliest Man Alive. He was a total fraud and a street thug who even had a lion as his school mascot. He went from about 5th kyu to third degree black belt in less than a year and then in the next 4 or 5 years made it to 8th Degree black belt in something or other.....Back then , the south side of Chicago ( where he lived ) was flooded with very high level ( fake ) black belt karate people....all tough guys I am sure in their own right....but certainly not comparable with any of todays martial arts people.Did you know Dante? If so, I'm sure Floyd Webb would like to interview you for his documentary (if he hasn't, already).

Beyond that, most of this is already well known.

--Joe

Buckwheat
5/28/2008 2:52pm,
I didn't know him personally. I did attend a tournament at his school while I was a student at another school in the area. I also attended and competed at another tournament he held , called the "World Championship" at the old Chicago Colleseum. I also had a chance to observe his obnoxious behavior there as well.

What I do know of him is limited...he was a kyu rank in Kyokushinkai in the late fifties or very early 60's...he went to Arizona and trained briefly with a high ranking instructor, and returned to Chicago that same year, with a 3rd degree black belt certificate...and he was made the regional or area representative of Trias' USKA ( I have no documentation of this )
by the late 60's, he was not with the Trias organization any longer and had his own group that went by " World Karate Federation", and his name was no longer John Keehan . He was now Count Dante, the Deadliest Man Alive, who had competed against masters of all the martial arts and had soundly defeated them all.

DerAuslander
5/28/2008 3:01pm,
Why is this in MABS?

It is Fake
5/28/2008 3:06pm,
I don't know what you are talking about. YMAS is where it belongs.

Buckwheat
5/28/2008 3:13pm,
Why is this in MABS? Why do you ask? I guess because there were comments earlier and it sounded like an interesting topic.

Kung-Fu Joe
5/28/2008 3:13pm,
I didn't know him personally. I did attend a tournament at his school while I was a student at another school in the area. I also attended and competed at another tournament he held , called the "World Championship" at the old Chicago Colleseum. I also had a chance to observe his obnoxious behavior there as well.Have you gotten in touch with Floyd Webb? He might be interested in this.

--Joe

Buckwheat
5/28/2008 3:14pm,
Who is Floyd Webb? I am a newbie!

Kung-Fu Joe
5/28/2008 3:18pm,
Who is Floyd Webb? I am a newbie!Floyd is a filmmaker who is putting together a documentary about John Keehan (aka Count Dante).

http://thesearchforcountdante.com/
http://johnkeehan.blogspot.com/
http://floydwebb.com/

I'm sure he'd be interested in hearing about your experiences with the man.

--Joe

Permalost
5/28/2008 3:19pm,
Floyd Webb is making a documentary called "The Search for Count Dante". If you look it up on Google you'll find him pretty quick.

EDIT: beat me to it

Buckwheat
5/28/2008 3:53pm,
I do remember Floyd Webb's website...I sent him my comments a few years ago or so, but never received a reply from him regarding the late "count". Didn't realize the count croaked over 30 years ago .

3moose1
5/28/2008 10:19pm,
I had a military recruiter try to reel me in, by connecting to me about martial arts.

He was a 2nd degree blackbelt in tkd, under an ATA school...

and a blackbelt in kogu-ryu ninjitsu...

and a member of the black dragons fighting society...

I walked out, forever saddened...

Buckwheat
5/29/2008 8:10am,
Other than a humorous documentary, I can't see a reason to do one on Count Dante. He was not a nice guy, nor was he the deadliest man alive. His students included many street toughs and thugs and other types of criminals ( including himself ). They used to pick fights with other karate schools , and even bombed one back in the 60's. I don't know if he ever did jail time for any of that but he should have...their attitudes and activities were truly reminiscent of the gangsters Chicago is famous for.