PDA

View Full Version : hello, finally found a site i can discuss martial arts :)

MrHuggables
5/17/2008 7:42pm,
Hello! I've been doing martials arts for about 10 years now (on and off though), first karate and then muay thai, and presently MMA. As I'm still in High School me and my peers social weeners are in competition with each other so we decided to start our own MMA club that will meet to essentially fight twice a week. Anybody who wants to fight can join, and we've split it up into two classes based on height and weight (basically what we think would be a fair fight pool). I'm really looking forward to this, and I'll definitely be posting updates here and asking for advice as well.

Looking forward to a good time at these forums!

BJJbot
5/17/2008 7:43pm,
Welcome aboard, MrHuggables! The Bullshido staff would welcome you personally, but the thing is they’re busy keeping the peace, so they’ve apointed me, a bot, to pat you on the back and assure you that in no way will you be harmed during your stay here at BS.net. Your views on the martial arts, your philosphy, maybe even your entire reason for being will be challenged, shattered, reorganized, melted down, and forged into something new and shiny, but we swear it will only hurt a little bit… at first.

MastaFighta
5/17/2008 7:48pm,
Hello! I've been doing martials arts for about 10 years now (on and off though), first karate and then muay thai, and presently MMA. As I'm still in High School me and my peers social weeners are in competition with each other so we decided to start our own MMA club that will meet to essentially fight twice a week. Anybody who wants to fight can join, and we've split it up into two classes based on height and weight (basically what we think would be a fair fight pool). I'm really looking forward to this, and I'll definitely be posting updates here and asking for advice as well.

Looking forward to a good time at these forums! Don't leave us in the dark. Where do you live? What schools did you attend for Karate, Muay Thai and MMA? Etcetera.

MrHuggables
5/17/2008 8:19pm,
Don't leave us in the dark. Where do you live? What schools did you attend for Karate, Muay Thai and MMA? Etcetera.

I live in Fairmont, West Virginia, about 15-20 minute south of Morgantown, home of the Mountaineers! 8-) However, there's not much in the way of martial arts around here. : / West Virginia is not exactly "progressive" :P

I trained at a dojo about a mile from my house in karate, from 2nd grade till about 5th, until it eventually had to close down. However, I kept up with what I had learned in my own home dojo (aka my basement :D)and gradually, through watching many many many fight videos, moved into other martial arts by emulating and observing the pros do it. I eventually started watching more Muay Thai than any other style and began to take a huge interest in it, and thusly began practicing almost exclusively in that art. My friends got me into MMA, as many of them are state-champion wrestlers, and so in sparring with them i started to branch out my previously all-striking resume into grappling and groundwork as well.

Now I know most of this is not formal, dojo/gym training, but I've been working with what I've got (i.e. gloves, a free standing heavy bag, awesome friends, and a plethora of fight videos). It may not be much but I'm proud of what I've done given what I have available to me.

DerAuslander
5/17/2008 9:22pm,
[email protected]

where the men are men, & the sheep are scared...

MrHuggables
5/17/2008 9:33pm,
[email protected]

where the men are men, & the sheep are scared...

I take it you've been to Preston County then? ; )

those poor sheep :<