PDA

View Full Version : The nun-who-must-not-be-named and other arguments

Pages : [1] 2 3

mpark
5/09/2008 12:34pm,
Could someone please explain the "nun-who-must-not-be-named" thing?

It is Fake
5/09/2008 12:37pm,
Look at your style and think of the alleged creator.

Christmas Spirit
5/09/2008 1:09pm,
Look at your style and think of the alleged creator.

Some people amuse me to no end ... I mean , how the hell can you be a chunner and not know the legend of the nun .

mpark , search " Wing Chun " or " _ing _un" with "nun" , "smaller" , " history " , and " lol" here on Bullshido . Or I suppose you could ask your instructor ... or Google it .

jdinca
5/09/2008 3:56pm,
Some people amuse me to no end ... I mean , how the hell can you be a chunner and not know the legend of the nun?

The majority of students don't know the history of the art they study.

It is Fake
5/10/2008 12:59am,
The majority of students don't know the history of the art they study.
Know there is history and then there is the "nun_who_must_not_be_named."

Sorry that story is to infamous.

Dr._Tzun_Tzu
5/14/2008 2:08am,
[url]

Did I just read a new variation on the Wing Chun legend?

The "nun-who-must-not-be-named" created the chun to counteract the stolen manuals of Shaolin techniques?

Variation on the same old theme. Its a classic movie icon to turn something such as training or other information into "manuals" to help the audience. Takes to much back story to have a monk learn the style himself and then take it with him......

It looks like a cool project if it has Leung Bik as a character, since Leung Tings story is that Uncle Yip meet Leung Bik later in Hong Kong after studying with Wah the Money Changer as a boy on the mainland.

Blah Blah Blah Chunner rambling warning:

It was from Bik that Yip learned the variation that Ting claims to have continued. The money changers version was crossed back with more mainland CMA and Bik's was supposedly more refined, as Bik was the son of Dr. Leung Jan himself. Tings story is that Yip Man taught he mainland version as a business and used the Bik version for select pupils. Since WC kept going back on itself with tradtional CMA, like Di Mak and 60/40 stance, etc, Yip taught Leung Ting the "secret" theories from Leung Bik. At least thats Tings story. Dr. Ting even mentions in his Roots of WT book that it took him over a decade to finally figure out all the information he received from Yip Man, since it was taught via words over tea at a restaurant. :qgaraduat

mpark
5/14/2008 11:51am,
Some people amuse me to no end ... I mean , how the hell can you be a chunner and not know the legend of the nun .

mpark , search " Wing Chun " or " _ing _un" with "nun" , "smaller" , " history " , and " lol" here on Bullshido . Or I suppose you could ask your instructor ... or Google it .

I know about Ng Mui the nun, I don't understand the "must not be named" part.

It is Fake
5/14/2008 11:59am,
It is a sarcastic joke.

Partially because like the multiple spellings of _ing _un the different lineage stories are just as bad.

Tom Kagan
5/14/2008 12:40pm,

I coined the 'nun-who-must-not-be-named' because it amused me.

What 'It Is Fake' just said, combined with the adamant insistence by some that Ng Moy, the nun, never existed. Even if she did exist, the style still isn't named after her.

'He-who-must-not-be-named' is from Harry Potter. It is what people who fear "the most powerful Dark wizard who has ever lived" call Lord Voldemort.

Ming Loyalist
5/14/2008 1:12pm,
'He-who-must-not-be-named' is from Harry Potter. It is what people who fear "the most powerful Dark wizard who has ever lived" call Lord Voldemort.

is that the only source of that phrase? i always thought that the original "he who must not be named" was satan, or something. i never read harry potter and i seem to remember that phrase being used at least as far back as the early eighties.

Dr._Tzun_Tzu
5/14/2008 1:42pm,
is that the only source of that phrase? i always thought that the original "he who must not be named" was______, or something. i never read harry potter and i seem to remember that phrase being used at least as far back as the early eighties.

Now you did it, you went and said his name!!!!

The Jews didn't say or write Gods name either. They took the vowels out when they wrote it.

In all these they were afraid that saying the name would conjure up the entity, including Harry potters enemy.

"the nun who must not be named" conjures up massive shitty threads with long posts and alot of tl:dl and "why not just learn to Box" comments.

DerAuslander
5/14/2008 1:50pm,
So...how're those vids of Jack Rusher & you sparring coming?

We gonna see them anytime soon?

It is Fake
5/14/2008 1:58pm,
Now you did it, you went and said his name!!!!

The Jews didn't say or write Gods name either. They took the vowels out when they wrote it.

In all these they were afraid that saying the name would conjure up the entity, including Harry potters enemy.

"the nun who must not be named" conjures up massive shitty threads with long posts and alot of tl:dl and "why not just learn to Box" comments.
As usual you miss the point. It has nothing to do with fighting etc it had to do with how chunners, even from the same org, have wildly different origin stories that they adhere to.

Tom Kagan
5/14/2008 2:10pm,
is that the only source of that phrase? i always thought that the original "he who must not be named" was satan, or something. i never read harry potter and i seem to remember that phrase being used at least as far back as the early eighties.

I don't know, but Harry Potter is from where I first learned 'he-who-must-not-be-named'.

In the 3.7 seconds I just spent searching, I can find no reference to it before the first Harry Potter book was published in 1997. However, I did find references to a movement to change the way people refer to the devil to the alternative: 'The Enemy'. This dates from the early eighties.

Dr._Tzun_Tzu
5/14/2008 3:09pm,
As usual you miss the point. It has nothing to do with fighting etc it had to do with how chunners, even from the same org, have wildly different origin stories that they adhere to.

as usual, your version is the only version, and the reason it is funny to me, because you must not name her or a holy wraith cult war will ensue, is not valid.

DerAuslander
5/14/2008 3:13pm,
Rumpole of the Bailey used to call his wife "She who must be obeyed".