PDA

View Full Version : My Most Impractical Gun…The Mauser M/96

Pages : [1] 2

Olorin
4/30/2008 10:02pm,
After reading Wonder Ronin’s (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68037) article on his new Mosin Nagant I decided to tell you about an old rifle of mine.

Ten years ago I bought a Mauser M/96 also known as the Swedish Mauser. At first I planed to scrap the stock, add a scope, and build a target rifle. But I just could not do it…

http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/medium/gun2.jpg

…I could not bring myself to destroy it. First off, this gun is really old, build it 1901 and it is beautifully constructed. The stock is European walnut and the barrel is constructed of Swedish steel. Back in the day, the Swedes felt that their steel was far superior to all others. When Mauser was contracted to make Swedish Mausers in Germany they were required to use Swedish Steel in the manufacturing process.

The rifle contains no stamped metal parts and is entirely constructed of machined steel. It is also crazy long measuring about 50 inches from tip to toe, with a 30 inch barrel. To put it into perspective it is about four feet tall. Longer of you add a bayonet.

The rifle uses 6.5x55 ammunition and it does not come cheep, about 50 cents per shot. If you buy in bulk you can get 200 rounds for about eighty dollars.

http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/medium/B_Small.jpg

So how does it shoot? Well I can not tell you. I have only put about twenty rounds through it in the last ten years. Part of the problem is that the sights are set from 300 meters to 2000 meters. Ya you read that right. The minimum is 300 fucking meters with iron sights! I am just not that bad ass. However I recently purchased a new higher front sight to reduce the minimum setting to 100 meters.

http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Down_2_small.jpg

These rifles have caught on in the last ten years. I bought mine for about 150 dollars but since then it has doubled in cost. The reason? People began to discoverer that these old rifles out shot all the Springfields, German Mausers, and other rifles at matches back in the day. In addition their are no "wartime" Swedish Mausers. Sweden never went to war and subsequently never had to rush production.

So as soon as I get my new front sight in, get it installed, and get out to the range I can finally enjoy this old rifle.

http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Large.jpg

AlphaFoxtrot51
4/30/2008 10:16pm,
After reading Wonder Ronin’s article on his new Mosin Nagant I decided to tell you about an old rifle of mine.

Ten years ago I bought a Mauser M/96 also known as the Swedish Mauser. At first I planed to scrap the stock, add a scope, and build a target rifle. But I just could not do it…

http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/medium/gun2.jpg

…I could not bring myself to destroy it. First off, this gun is really old, build it 1901 and it is beautifully constructed. The stock is European walnut and the barrel is constructed of Swedish steel. Back in the day, the Swedes felt that their steel was far superior to all others. When Mauser was contracted to make Swedish Mausers in Germany they were required to use Swedish Steel in the manufacturing process.

The rifle contains no stamped metal parts and is entirely constructed of machined steel. It is also crazy long measuring about 50 inches from tip to toe, with a 30 inch barrel. To put it into perspective it is about four feet tall. Longer of you add a bayonet.

The rifle uses 6.5x55 ammunition and it does not come cheep, about 50 cents per shot. If you buy in bulk you can get 200 rounds for about eighty dollars.

http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/medium/B_Small.jpg

So how does it shoot? Well I can not tell you. I have only put about twenty rounds through it in the last ten years. Part of the problem is that the sights are set from 300 meters to 2000 meters. Ya you read that right. The minimum is 300 fucking meters with iron sights! I am just not that bad ass. However I recently purchased a new higher front sight to reduce the minimum setting to 100 meters.

http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Down_2_small.jpg

These rifles have caught on in the last ten years. I bought mine for about 150 dollars but since then it has doubled in cost. The reason? People began to discoverer that these old rifles out shot all the Springfields, German Mausers, and other rifles at matches back in the day.

So as soon as I get my new front sight in, get it installed, and get out to the range I can finally enjoy this old rifle.

http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Large.jpg

I don't know if I could convince myself to shoot it, I think I'd put it in a glass display case and lock it away. I was also going to say that it has to have some serious range, and then you confirmed it. You could definitely reach out and touch someone with that rifle. It's beautiful

Gopu
4/30/2008 10:27pm,
2000m? It can make that shot?

Olorin
4/30/2008 10:42pm,
2000m? It can make that shot?

I have never even tried it. But the back sight flips up "Quigley Down Under" style and can be set to 2000 meters. I have no idea what kind of crazy war the Swedes were expecting!

http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/medium/back.jpg

Again never done it but it capable of shooting 1 inch groups at 200 yards and better than half and inch groups at 100 yards.

Mas
4/30/2008 10:46pm,
How much did that run you?

Olorin
4/30/2008 10:50pm,
How much did that run you?

About 150 dollars ten years ago, now they run over three hundred. But it all depends on condition.

Lord Skeletor
4/30/2008 11:18pm,
About 150 dollars ten years ago, now they run over three hundred. But it all depends on condition.

Let the Milsurp Madness begin! Nice piece, man. It'll probably outlast you on this planet.
Unfortunately with ammunition being what it is today....recreational shooting is getting retardedly expensive. I never thought that I would live to see the day when people were lining up to pay $800 damn dollars for a DCM Garand or M1 Carbine--but that day has come and gone. I blame Spielberg for "Saving Private Ryan" and all of these new WWII buffs coming along and driving up surplus prices...the bastards. :angry1:

Unfortunately, I think that such milsurp bolt-guns are far down on the list...so I'll have to keep concentrating on full-autos and semi-autos (and magazines) before the next election day reaches us...damn my credit cards are hatin' me! I do really want to grab a Garand, a 1903, a Mosin, a M96, an M1A1, and an M14 before too long--but man, there are so many, and my dollars are so few....

Olorin
4/30/2008 11:54pm,
I do really want to grab a Garand, a 1903, a Mosin, a M96, an M1A1, and an M14 before too long--but man, there are so many, and my dollars are so few....

I really want a M14.

Don Gwinn
5/06/2008 9:04am,
I have a bubba-ized M96. I don't recommend doing that to yours. Mine was an irresistible deal and already in that condition.

Tom .C
5/06/2008 11:29am,
I really like the old, old, old, vintage arms. That rifle is awsome and $150 dollars was a steal. I had a chance to shoot an old vintage Enfield the 1st world war era and got hooked on those old shooters. Enjoy the hell out of that thing and if you want to bring down the ammo price a little, save your brass and get hooked up with a hand loader. I used a Lee loader to re-load .243s for an old Winchester bolt action I used to have. It made it more affordable and hand loading ammo is not an unpleasant task.

theotherserge
5/06/2008 11:41am,
that is a sweetass rifle!

Maybe the Swedes were figuring on plucking off the Danes as they were launching their rafts from across the straits?

Olorin
5/06/2008 2:44pm,
I have a bubba-ized M96. I don't recommend doing that to yours.

It was my original plan but Bertha (I call her Bertha) looked up at me with those big brown eyes and I just could not do it. I recently bought her a nice leather sling.

Maybe the Swedes were figuring on plucking off the Danes as they were launching their rafts from across the straits?

I really wonder what they were thinking. A long time ago I read Erwin Rommel’s WWI diary Infantry Attacks. He writes that his rifle’s (I am guessing a Mauser 98) minimum setting was like 250 meters and how it screwed him up when he got into close range firefights.

Olorin
5/06/2008 2:49pm,
save your brass and get hooked up with a hand loader.

We need someone to write an "introduction to reloading" thread for The Armory.

Japuma630
9/22/2008 5:30pm,
I have a 98k mauser, M48 Yugo mauser (unissued, still packed in cosmoline when i got it), Mossin Nagant (sweet shooter but it's an ug-el), 96 sweed (like yours but some one put a turn down bolt on it) and enfield SMLE(holy crap, amazing shooter, but jesus tap dancing christ is it ugly).

I can vouche for the accuracy of the sweed.

I'd love to own a springfield 1903 but US surplus rifles are become ungodly expensive. I have another 98k barreled action that is going to be sporterized some time as 8mm is a wicked deer round.

hungryjoe
9/23/2008 10:18pm,
In the past, I had:

98k Mauser action chambered for 45-70 Govt. Kicked like hell and had the trajectory of a rainbow, but was fun to shoot.

Bruno Mauser which my father built for my grandfather for his retirement. That was a beautiful and highly accurate rifle.

Both stolen along with the rest of a small armory years ago.

98 Mauser and Springfield 03A3 actions provided many an amatuer gunsmith with hunting rifles. They were cheap and the early Mausers were extremely well built. The German models suffered greatly in the latter years of WWII when stamped parts started to replace some items and other previously high tolerance machined items suffered quality issues.

A cousin owned one of the 6.5 versions earlier mentioned. It was a well built rifle, but as mentioned, the ammo is expensive.

hungryjoe
9/23/2008 10:46pm,
We need someone to write an "introduction to reloading" thread for The Armory.

The basics of reloading are not hard to learn. It is usually better if someone has oversight in the beginning.

Attention to detail is important for safety.

There are many areas where those willing to spend the time can improve the accuracy of a firearm.

If someone starts an introduction, I'll throw in some tips for better accuracy and the equipment needed to achieve consistent loads.

For those wanting to reload for the sole purpose of saving money, the initial cost of equipment is a consideration.

Reloading is cheap, relaxing and a joy for those anal types looking for one hole groups.

A good book for those wanting to build or fine tune an existing rifle is The Accurate Rifle by Warren Page.

Anyone on the forums ever competed in Bench Rest?