PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Law and MMA in Ontario -- or the lackthereof

Pages : [1] 2

gallantknight
4/29/2008 11:55pm,
NOTE - I'm bad at finding the right forum to put things like this in, but since this is general discussion for MA, I'm hoping it'll be fine to put this little speal here.

Alright, so I'm an aspiring law student (maybe) and for my final report for Grade 12 Law, I decided to write about the legalization of MMA in Ontario.

That was a couple months ago. Upon doing some research, I've come to realize that I feel rather strongly about the issue... and that I'd perhaps like to take this case up further than just handing it in as a report.

So without further adieu, I'd like to summarize some of my arguments, while realizing that I'm quite certain that they need polishing. I'd also like to know what kind of procedures would be involved in this stuff really getting attention.

The Law in Question from Criminal Code
Section 83(1) Engaging in prize fight 83. (1) Every one who (a) engages as a principal in a prize fight, (b) advises, encourages or promotes a prize fight, or (c) is present at a prize fight as an aid, second, surgeon, umpire, backer or reporter, is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction. 83(2) Definition of "prize fight" (2) In this section, "prize fight" means an encounter or fight with fists or hands between two persons who have met for that purpose by previous arrangement made by or for them, but a boxing contest between amateur sportsmen, where the contestants wear boxing gloves of not less than one hundred and forty grams each in mass, or any boxing contest held with the permission or under the authority of an athletic board or commission or similar body established by or under the authority of the legislature of a province for the control of sport within the province, shall be deemed not to be a prize fight.

Main Idea
Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) events are not allowed in Ontario, despite it being allowed in other parts of Canada such as Quebec, Alberta, Halifax, and Prince George of British Columbia. Why is this?

First Argument
“MMA is very dangerous. It is barbaric and violent!” How many deaths have there actually been in MMA, though? Since the time MMA has began as a sporting event, there has been one death in MMA. Let’s compare this to boxing, which is actually allowed by the current law. 500 Deaths in the last 200 Years of modern boxing! As for injuries, why don’t we look at basketball, hockey – or better yet, football? There are so many people getting hurt in those games too. Why don’t we ban all of them too? I think inherently we’re trying to protect people from getting hurt, right? This creates a massive problem by giving us a double standard. It’s alright to ban MMA, but not okay to ban football. Also... As with all other sports, MMA is for entertainment. This of course is contrary to popular opinion, which believes that MMA events like UFC are blood sports where people go in to battle to the death not unlike the Gladiators of the Greek Colliseums, where only one survives. Neither want to die – they want to make money by fighting worthy opponents. You can’t make money if you kill all your opponents! And we’ve got to remember that there is protective equipment provided too, just like with other sports with high intensity.

Second Argument (Maybe)
“Violence in the media means we’ll have violent children!” This is quite relevant because sporting events like MMA are broadcast on television as a form of media for people to view. Apparently, little children who view such forms of media are completely desensitized towards hurting people and fighting, which is unacceptable in our society. However, it has been shown that someone of a regular capacity of mind is not actually affected by seeing depictions of violence in media (Goldstein, 2001). Goldstein used videogames as an example. This is ironically fitting because people blame videogames for the bad behavior of people all the time. Yet, as this was proven false, what is to say that watching two people fighting in a UFC fighting match will make people more violent? It is moreso on the onus of the parents to raise a child properly!

Third Argument
“What IS MMA, anyways?” Ignorance is the lack of knowledge on a certain issue. I think the greatest obstacle towards MMA being allowed is the fact that a lot of people really don’t know that much about it. They choose to just brush it off as some sort of violent, brutish display filled with blood, anger, and bruises, and muscular men punching and kicking each other in the face. I am a fighter myself – to think of it as something like that is an utter disgrace to what I do. Here’s an analogy: a child can’t understand the subtleties of a master artist’s visual artwork. That’s the same scenario here – an uneducated person cannot understand all the intricacies of MMA. Footwork, positioning, ring control, reflexes and technique only scratch the surface of what MMA is. MMA is a sport that requires extreme intellect and strategic planning if you ever want to do well. Where your opponent is going, where you want him to go, and how you can make him move that way. MMA is almost akin to chess psychologically. How many people actually understand all of this before condemning it? We only have to look at history to see that stereotyping and assuming can very quickly become something negative, or even oppressive.

Special Opposing Argument (NOTE: I might use this instead of Argument 2, but I would probably flip the order around)
Section 7 of the Charter only applies in accordance with fundamental justice. As we’ve seen from the R. v. Parker marijuana case, liberty by itself cannot justify allowing something to happen. However, I think this is slightly different from the Parker case. So really, while everyone has the right to be free in Canada, and people shouldn’t be deprived of their freedom, if fundamental justice is truly a valid excuse, then Section 83 of the Criminal Code should be upheld. Is limiting our freedom to participate in MMA tournaments to insure our safety sufficiently important to override a constitutionally protected right? I’d have to question WHAT we are being protected from, and why, if this criteria of the Oakes test passes for allowing MMA, it should pass for the likes of Football and Boxing. The next criteria is that the decision must be fair and NOT ARBITRARY!!!!!!!! I’ve already proven that! Boxing is still allowed, even though MMA is NOT! If the first reason wasn’t valid enough, this is definitely valid. Therefore, using the Oakes Test, this decision to not allow sanctioned MMA fights FAILS to pass the Oakes Test, and thus FAILS to pass the ‘in accordance with fundamental justice rule.’ And of course, as it already cannot be saved with fundamental justice, it cannot be a reasonable limit because it is random, and arbitrariness is not in any way reasonable.

And yeah, this is pretty much the rough outline for the report I was going to write in the first place. I'm willing to polish this up and really make it more... professional, but I wanted to show everyone my general ideas first. And yeah, I'm no professional or anything, but I'm hoping that at least some of these reasons have merit. THANK YOU FOR READING THIS! It is definitely quite verbose. But really, I would like to see some change, and I'm sure all the other Ontarionians would love to see some change too, what with the arbitrariness of this scenario at present.

Shuma-Gorath
4/29/2008 11:58pm,
Seek the one called Showdown Joe.

gallantknight
4/29/2008 11:59pm,
Showdown Joe? Who is this man/woman, and where might I locate this Showdown Joe?

Shuma-Gorath
4/30/2008 12:03am,
http://www.showdown.ca/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=41

Joe Ferraro has been one of the leaders of the movement to legalize MMA in Ontario. Everyone's been trying to get it done for years but certain government officials are making either unprecedented or impossible demands.

spartan6
4/30/2008 1:52am,
Its spiel not speal dumbass.

Why should i read the rest of your shitty thread if you fucked up in the first sentence.

ResidentSamurai
4/30/2008 2:01am,

Why should i read the rest of your shitty thread if you fucked up in the first sentence.Because you're an idiot who could probably stand to learn something in your fucking life time, so as not to be a complete waste of goddamn skin.

Squerlli
4/30/2008 3:15am,

Why should i read the rest of your shitty thread if you fucked up in the first sentence.

STFU.

Anyway, nice post to the OP. Very well thought out.

scorchedearth
4/30/2008 8:47am,
Good arguments, OP.

Best of luck convincing Dolton McSquinty and his administrative minions.

gallantknight
4/30/2008 4:02pm,
Well, I couldn't find contact info for Showdown Joe directly, so I posted a comment in his latest article on his blog concerning MMA in Ontario asking him for his contact info.

Before that though, to all the people who read this... Are you noting any major inconsistencies or problems that I should brush up before I send my outline to him? I'm very glad you all read this lengthy post of mine, and it would help a lot if you guys had any suggestions to make my arguments stronger, more coherent, flowing, or anything like that.

As usual, thank you all in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm just a high school student after all. <_<;

Goju - Joe
4/30/2008 4:31pm,
Click this link

Contact these people

http://www.marcoantico.com/about.html

gallantknight
4/30/2008 4:42pm,
Sent the email to [email protected] Do you guys want to take a gander? It was just a little write-up dealing with my interest in providing any assistance I could to their cause.

gallantknight
5/01/2008 11:15pm,
Well, I was talking with Marco Antico and I think he liked what I had to say, so he's going to be posting the arguments I laid out here in an article on canadianmma. =D Thank you to all the people that supported me! I feel great for finally doing SOMETHING, even if it's not anything too earth-shaking.

ResidentSamurai
5/02/2008 12:08pm,
Grats.
Er.... Fight the power?

PizDoff
5/02/2008 5:41pm,
Here's the latest backlash from the Rumble on the Rez event held recently in Ontario
Ontario natives holding mixed martial arts fights, charges laid - No BS Martial Arts (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69496)

3moose1
5/02/2008 10:25pm,
I don't believe in canada.

AeroChica
5/02/2008 11:04pm,
From my limited understanding, the first step to legalization is to develop a widely recognized governing body. There are lots of people trying to do this right now, and that's the problem - not everyone wants to play ball with everyone else. Although putting pressure on government is one way to raise awareness, I think we have to have a sactioning body in place and functioning for some time before this is going anywhere. Has this been accomplished?