PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts vs. Martial Sports

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

axllaruse
4/29/2008 12:36am,
Martial Arts are like religions. The problem is not the religion, is the people. The same apply with the martial arts. People for fame, money or power destroy the truth meaning of martial arts and the worse part is that they try to impose it to others.

Have you ever saw someone saying that his/her martial art was better that another martial art?

How about those who say that there is not a difference between martial sports and martial arts?

The following is a personal opinion. I do not expect anyone to agree or disagree.

If you train only for tournaments then you are a martial sport not a martial artist.

You are training most of your time to not break the rules and you don't train expecting the other person to break them. In a real fight or battle, there are not rules. You are suppose to expect anything and do anything also.

For example, you train for your tournament and for every hit, you stop and begin again. You better make sure that this behavior do not kill you in a fight. Keep going. Move. Don't stop. Don't get kill. The guy is down, search for the next one to attack you. The fight ends when you in some place safe and 100% sure your are safe.

In martial sports, is about how cool you look and how many movements you can do. In martial arts, the idea is to be the most effective with the less movement needed. Why? Well, if you run out of juice you might be in troubles. I don't thing is a good idea to be moving a sword around, doing acrobatics when not needed.

Martial Arts is about surviving.

You protect your family because you want them to survive
You fight because you don't want to die.
You lose when you are dead.
You let your skill go to your head, you might lose your head.

If you are going to call anyone to fight, do it in order to make your skill better. Teach your opponent, learn from your opponent.

All martial arts have a good and bad things, but is more about how is doing the martial art.

Example: You do Jujitsu Brazilian. Perfect, you can put a guy in the floor and you have more chances to win, wonderful. Just don't do it in the bar. You might get a knife in your lungs by the girlfriend of the guy you are holding. Get it?

Should be more martial artist to learn effective ways and discard those how are not? The idea is to perfect the art. That is why is call an ART. It never ends to be better.
Experience is create new things and/or make things better. Repeating the same thing over and over again without improving or creating is not experience. It is repeating.
Personally, I'm more proud about the times I save and defend the lives of my family and friends.
If you want respect, give respect.

Don't go around telling people how you beat someone. If not make sure they don't beat you.
Anyone can put a bullet in your head. Get the idea?

After a fight, don't get even. Get better.
Everyone get older. Put that in consideration when training.

I accept that I might be completely wrong with these ideas. I don't have problems to read different or same opinions.

Regards,
Axl Laruse

escrimador6
4/29/2008 12:40am,
Really? Do we need to do this again? Coming from a guy with no style listed.

Trollshido

Munacra
4/29/2008 12:42am,
Holy ****, I spinned around really fast and somehow ended up back in 2003!

TheLordHumungus
4/29/2008 12:49am,
In martial sports, is about how cool you look and how many movements you can do. In martial arts, the idea is to be the most effective with the less movement needed. Why? Well, if you run out of juice you might be in troubles. I don't thing is a good idea to be moving a sword around, doing acrobatics when not needed.

WTF? Really? The whole time I've been looking for the most efficient/effective way to throw a man to the mat and submit/pin him, I was never told I get the most points for how cool I look? In fact, I thought a really good throw (1 move) was sufficient to win. Dammit, sports are lame.

KayRoc
4/29/2008 12:50am,
Ya... **** sport, I been going about this all wrong. Gimme the goddam deadly son. Stat.

Kempo Chris
4/29/2008 12:54am,
You fail in life

Kentucky Fried Chokin
4/29/2008 12:55am,
Have you ever saw someone saying that his/her martial art was better that another martial art?

No, but I've seen someone say that.

If you train only for tournaments then you are a martial sport not a martial artist.

How can a person be a sport?

You are training most of your time to not break the rules

How do you train time?

Don't get kill.

Ah, I hate it when I get kill!

In martial sports, is about how cool you look and how many movements you can do

I is thought that is about fighting?

Well, if you run out of juice you might be in troubles.

But if you is buy more juice then no more troubles?

theotherserge
4/29/2008 1:02am,
Keep going. Move. Don't stop. Don't get kill. The guy is down, search for the next one to attack you. The fight ends when you in some place safe and 100% safe

1. this is pretty much how I conduct my life on a daily basis

2.I'm not dead yet so I havenot losed

3.It never ends to be better

Kentucky Fried Chokin
4/29/2008 1:06am,
don't thing is a good idea to be moving a sword around, doing acrobatics when not needed.

I agree.

You lose when you are dead.

And not visa versa?

Teach your opponent

This seems counterproductive your other goals.

All martial arts have a good and bad things

Apparently writing is not have a good thing of your martial art.

but is more about how is doing the martial art.

How is the martial art doing?

You do Jujitsu Brazilian

Is that anything like Brazilian Jiujitsu?

Should be more martial artist to learn effective ways and discard those how are not?

LMAO

It never ends to be better.

How does it end?

Repeating the same thing over and over again without improving or creating is not experience. It is repeating.

Kind of like this thread?

Put that in consideration when training.

I will.

I don't have problems to read

Yes, you do.

bjjgame
4/29/2008 1:12am,
I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but is english your second language? If it is, then I understand your grammatical mistakes. If not, read your posts carefully before submitting them.

TheLordHumungus
4/29/2008 1:15am,
Raz & Serge, the rep system seems to think I'm crushin on you. I apparently have to spend way less time in liquor, loot, and laddies.

TheMightyMcClaw
4/29/2008 1:19am,
1) You don't do martial arts.
2) We do.
3) You're wrong.
4) All of these arguments have been made before, far more eloquently. And they were still torn to pieces, and those pieces thrown into a fire.
There's a saying in Chinese: "San Shou shi wushu de jinghua."
Translated roughly, "Fighting is the quintessence of martial arts arts."
If you do not fight - you do not glove up and throwdown, hit the guy who's trying to hit you back, whatever - you are not really training in martial arts.
Whether you train to fight in competitions, or just trade blood and sweat with your training partners in the dojo, one must fight to be truly doing martial arts.
Otherwise, you're just doing a martial-arts themed activity.
I should know. I do performance wushu.

G-Off
4/29/2008 1:20am,
WOW I knew the second I read this thread title it would be a first post thread. I also knew it would be full of common sense BS and references to "t3h str33t" or "real world" like "in the real world THERE ARE NO RULES! Did I just fucking blow your mind or what?!?"

The only thing I was wrong about was my prediction that it would be from a ninjer trying to convert other people away from non-spiritual, pressure-tested, non-compliant and str33t-ineffective MMA to the ancient and historically proven art of bastardized ninjitsu taught by fat old white gaijin.

Well, 2 out of 3 isn't bad.

theotherserge
4/29/2008 1:21am,
Raz & Serge, the rep system seems to think I'm crushin on you. I apparently have to spend way less time in liquor, loot, and laddies.
1...2...3...4....5...gassed!!!

how about this then?
http://www.mugshots.com/IMAGES/Mugshot__axl-rose.jpg

ysc87
4/29/2008 1:22am,
I really do love it when idiots think they've got something completely figured out, saddle up on a high horse, and just make a complete ass of themselves.

Plus, the bad english from this doofus adds a little icing on the cake.

wakinonioi
4/29/2008 1:23am,
All that bullshit and the idiot hasn't even responded?

wtf?