PDA

View Full Version : So we are now a weapons free campus...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

nightowl
4/28/2008 9:29am,
So between eating a new delicious coconut flavored pocky and hunting for R33L ninja, I sometimes check up on how my home university is doing back in the states (since I'll eventually have to go back, sadly). Now I already knew that they had a no gun policy (that some of my friends ignored anyways) and even banned airsoft guns, but apparently they have proudly redone the weapons laws in wake of the college shootings in America. Yep, they expanded the list.

All weapons are banned for both staff and students of course, but no persons visiting campus are allowed to have weapons, and the ban specifically included off duty officers without first consulting the school. They were so proud of this fact, they they even gave the story to the local news channels ANNOUNCING that people on campus are not armed.

I should mention that currently there has been a high spike in crime in the area (to the point where local police are having trouble 'cause it is a cowtown) and there have already been cases this school year of attemped assults on students. Countless laptops have been stolen, breakins, and to top it off sercuirity staff on campus is unarmed (outside of mace I belive). Also, since it is an open campus random people are walking through so there is no screening.

So how to deal with such idiots who don't even want police armed? I've been thinking of getting a conceled weapons permit but...

Gopu
4/28/2008 9:46am,
Stop being paranoid. Clearly any potential shooters will be thwarted by this law.

DSL
4/28/2008 10:20am,
... waiting for the 'just kidding' part from Gopu ;p.

ignatzami
4/28/2008 11:02am,
Get a cricket bat, you like cricket, Right? No harm there.......

nightowl
4/28/2008 11:14am,
I've heard there has been some success with lawn darts

E-Van
4/28/2008 11:14am,
Take Archery and carry your bow and arr0ws EVERYWHERE.

Gopu
4/28/2008 11:15am,
... waiting for the 'just kidding' part from Gopu ;p.

What for? Certainly the gun fairies will keep armed individuals off the campus.

nightowl
4/28/2008 11:41am,
If they are willing to act as human sheilds should anything happen, then I'm ok with it. Otherwise they need to stop being idiots for supposedly representing higher education. Thing is, this isn't a trend limited to my school either. I don't think that they've realized that nobody has ever tried to hold up a gun convention.

DSL
4/28/2008 11:50am,
Heheh, exactly!

Matt W.
4/28/2008 12:03pm,
the ban specifically included off duty officers without first consulting the school.

I don't think they can do that.

Gopu
4/28/2008 12:08pm,
In all seriousness, does anyone actually know what the argument is other than "durr durr guns r daingurus"? Cuz it's not like Cho, Kimveer, Klebold or anyone else was just walking around campus with a legally obtained gun going "hmmm, I think I will now kill people" or "man this teacher gave me a bad grade bang bang". I'm not saying it's never happened that someone overreacted with a gun somewhere but I don't think it's a trend. I think the trend is just people being depressed/psychos, getting guns, making a plan and then doing it.

nightowl
4/28/2008 12:10pm,
I don't think they can do that.

If you are that intrested I can PM you the list but essentially yes- off duty officers must check in if they are armed.

Legal? Probably not
Constitutional? Not really
Smart? Definately not

nightowl
4/28/2008 12:12pm,
In all seriousness, does anyone actually know what the argument is other than "durr durr guns r daingurus"? Cuz it's not like Cho, Kimveer, Klebold or anyone else was just walking around campus with a legally obtained gun going "hmmm, I think I will now kill people" or "man this teacher gave me a bad grade bang bang". I'm not saying it's never happened that someone overreacted with a gun somewhere but I don't think it's a trend. I think the trend is just people being depressed/psychos, getting guns, making a plan and then doing it.

Anyone who is going to commit a crime isn't going to care about the rules, thus they are armed no matter what. The only thing it changes is that the people who do obey the rules are no longer armed.

Gopu
4/28/2008 12:48pm,
Anyone who is going to commit a crime isn't going to care about the rules, thus they are armed no matter what. The only thing it changes is that the people who do obey the rules are no longer armed.

Sorry if the point of my post was lost in the jokes but I meant what is the argument for banning guns from the campus?

nightowl
4/28/2008 12:55pm,
They claim because of the school shootings. Prior rules only banned weapons from the dorms, but now you can't have any in your car or person anywhere (anyone including officers). I'm half tempted to post it up.

Matt W.
4/28/2008 1:48pm,
Legal? Probably not

Yeah, that's what I was saying. Wasn't denying that they were claiming it, though. I don't think they have the legal authority to tell even an off duty LEO where they can and can't carry. I'd have to check applicable laws to be sure though...