PDA

View Full Version : Archers: A question

Pages : [1] 2

JKDChick
4/22/2008 4:55am,
Is it theoretically possible to throw an arrow (wood, fletched with natural feathers) like a weapon?

Also, which would throw better bodkin or broadhead?

This is all theoretical, and not intended to be anything realistic. It's research for something.

honesty
4/22/2008 6:03am,
Not really, you cant get enough speed behind the arrow to make it stay straight, nor will you be able to get enough power for it to do much damage...

wa2ruff
4/22/2008 7:13am,
The cavemen did it a long time ago

Teh El Macho
4/22/2008 7:52am,
Wrong. Cavemen didn't throw arrows as spears.

An arrow is too narrow and lightweight to be thrown as such. For example, take some sheets of papers and crush them into a solid ball, say, the size of a ping pong. Crush them as much as you can. Then throw it as hard as you can and measure how far it goes.

Then take a round object the size of a ping pong ball made out of stone, wood, or some other dense material (even silly putty would do) and throw it with the same force as in the previous attempt with the paper ball. Then compare the distance traveled.

Sorry if I'm derailing the thread, but wa2ruff, consider that there were (roughly) fourt type of spears used:

1. Heavyweight trust spears. This is what Neanderthals used for hunting - in fact, they were using 7-9ft long, 2"+ thick rods with a pointing end for stabbing large game. Pretty effective at stabbing and long enough to provide some protection. But still they have to get close to big animals who weren't too happy to be poked at. A more modern variation is the lance/piked used by heavy calvary (think medieval knights and/or cataphractes.)

2. Lighter weight trust spears such as the Hoplite dori and the sarissa used by the Macedonians (or similar all around the world.)

3. Light weight range weapons such as the javelin that can be thrown by hand (world record today is 98.48m)

4. Light weight range weapons that are thrown with a spear thrower such as the atlatl (used since paleolitic times.)

So no, cavemen didn't throw arrows. They threw spears.

Teh El Macho
4/22/2008 7:57am,
Is it theoretically possible to throw an arrow (wood, fletched with natural feathers) like a weapon?

This is all theoretical, and not intended to be anything realistic. It's research for something.

Now that I think about, it should be possible if the arrow is dense enough, as a dart, using an arrow thrower, like an Aztec atlatl or Australian woomera.

honesty
4/22/2008 8:02am,
The problem with throwing arrows, is that unlike a javelin, its very hard to throw them so they stay straight, usually they end up flipping over repeatedly. Never tried one with something like an atlatl though so that may be possible...

Teh El Macho
4/22/2008 8:05am,
Well, I'm purely speculating. Maybe a plain vanilla arrow is still too light and thin to be thrown, even with an atlatl. It would be an interesting experiment to try mind you.

Phrost
4/22/2008 8:17am,
I just threw an arrow (composite) the other day, in my backyard. I don't think it would have had enough force to wound someone unless it hit their eye, and it definitely didn't go where I intended it to.

7thSamurai
4/22/2008 8:41am,
Macho hit on the atlatls. You can see something on them here: http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/kids/hunting/index.html

If you look on the bottom, you can click on a link that will bring up some info on them.

Olorin
4/22/2008 9:35am,
It's research for something.

Are your writing a spy thriller or something?

ignatzami
4/22/2008 10:41am,
Harlequin Romance novel.....

Kidding! Kidding! don't kill me!

HappyOldGuy
4/22/2008 12:53pm,
Like people have said, not balanced properly to fly well.

Then again, broadheads are sharp, and there are people out there fanatic enough to learn to throw chopsticks, so it is possible. Just silly.

wa2ruff
4/22/2008 1:40pm,

The original question is if it is possible to throw a wooden fletched arrow like a weapon. Remember, most of the arrows we use today are very light and made of aluminum or carbon fiber, not wood. With a sharp broadhead a wooden arrow could do some damage at close range.

But, I didnt mean that you can throw an arrow at a moose and drop it. I guess we have to ask the original poster here, are you talking about a weapon for hunting, or a weapon for some kind of self defense?

Teh El Macho
4/22/2008 2:16pm,
Whether it is for hunting or for S/D a weapon is a weapon, a tool that can cause certain damage. So take the lowest denominator (weapon for one-on-one S/D) and ask if it's possible for it to perform that function.

A weapon is a tool employed to gain a tactical advantage over an adversary, usually by injury, defeat, or destruction.

So one could see the question as follows: can I throw an arrow against someone as a weapon, say his chest, as a spear, and cause with it something more serious than a superficial injury? Can it reasonably penetrate skin, muscle and sineu? Can I use a an arrow by itself (without a bow to propel it) as a ranged weapon, just as one would with a spear?

That is, can I throw it like an spear and cause significant, potentially deadly damage?

HappyOldGuy
4/22/2008 2:25pm,
I'm pretty sure you could throw it deeply into soft tissue. I don't believe you could ever penetrate bone.

Teh El Macho
4/22/2008 2:30pm,
Man, I'm gonna make me an atlatl out of PVC pipes this weekend and try this ****. A lot of watermelons are going to suffer.