PDA

View Full Version : Hapkido Ki Breathing

svt2026
4/15/2008 10:46am,
Tell me your experiances in the Ki breathing you have done in hapkido.

Did it benefit you in any way.

Did it do anything at all.

Do you think it's worth doing it at all.

give me your thoughts

DerAuslander
4/15/2008 10:56am,
Give us yours.

Vorpal
4/15/2008 10:58am,
I remember doing some type of breathing exercises when I was taking HKD in Korea. I think if you are trying to learn how to fight better there are much better ways to use your training time. I'm not saying it's completely useless (Though I suspect it is) I just look at it in a return on investment basis. Certain things in MA have a low return on investment for the time and effort that you put in, kata, meditation, point sparring, static drills, and some things have higher returns, bag work, sparring, pad work, etc. If you treated your training time the same way you treated a monetary investment you would naturally gravitate towards the things that maximize your returns. Now, if you goal is to learn traditional HKD and be able to pass on the whole system then I guess you're doing breathing exercises. If you are just trying to improve at fighting/sparring I'd skip it.

Hex
4/15/2008 11:27am,
My school does not practice "ki breathing."

Unless you count breathing together as a class in order to cool down and slow our heart rates after a hard workout, but I think that's a matter of basic human physiology rather than ki.

Snake Plissken
4/15/2008 11:28am,
yes I have always found breathing to be a benefit.

Rock Ape
4/15/2008 11:43am,
Indeed, turning blue and expiring is not

svt2026
4/15/2008 11:45am,
Traditionally Ki breathing exercises are supposed to be a big part of hapkido. This was not practiced on a daily basis in my school rather this was supposed to be done on our own time since my instuctor belived practicing actual techniques is more important.

As far as my experiance: doing repetitions of this breathing exercies properly does have a warm up effect. Also it forces you to take deep breaths, i assume it can increase your lung capacity. But as far as mistical poweres there is none.

Rock Ape
4/15/2008 11:48am,
Taking deep breaths for limited periods of time will NOT increase your lung capacity alone. You would need to be undertaking regular cardiovascular work for you to improve the capacity/performace of your lungs.

svt2026
4/15/2008 11:53am,
Taking deep breaths for limited periods of time will NOT increase your lung capacity alone. You would need to be undertaking regular cardiovascular work for you to improve the capacity/performace of your lungs.

Is that why this is done befor the actual work out in hapkido curriculum.

saipher
4/23/2008 10:41pm,
HKD breathing exercises are pure tradition. There's not much value in them, aside from helping you to relax.

Vorpal
4/23/2008 10:43pm,
That **** never even made me feel relaxed. It made me self conscious about my breathing. If they want me to relax they should pass around some cold beverages.

DerAuslander
4/24/2008 11:29am,
Deep breathing is a proven way to relax.

Just remember to pass to the left hand side.

MBuzzy
4/24/2008 9:37pm,
Never done Hapkido, but I've done some of this for Soo Bahk Do.....honestly......I get the same effect just breathing on my own.

Permalost
4/24/2008 11:21pm,
In some old boxing and wrestling manuals, people like Farmer Burns and Robert Fitzsimmons, a world champion boxer, are advocates of deep breathing practice. I'd say there's something to it. Having said that, they aren't exactly writing from a sports science perspective and I'm not sure hapkido breathing exercises are the same and I don't do much stuff like that.