PDA

View Full Version : Researching Business Practices

Marcos
4/12/2008 3:08pm,
Hi,

I've been aware of Bullshido for a while now. Just got around to joining.

I'm very interested in business practices in the MA. I've seen some well run schools and some pretty poorly run schools.

Here in Mexico there are some decent instructors. However, there are a lot of "charlatans". Many people just decide to open up a school and make a lot of claims that can't be substantiated or are just plain false (upon viewing their classes).

One of my teachers in the 80's told me that, "you can either be a good teacher or a good businessman." I think that that is no longer true. If you make your living as a MA instructor, you have to be both. I agree that there are many instructors who are good at what they do on a part-time basis. However, in my time studying in Japan, all of my teachers were full-time professionals who did well in their businesses.

I look forward to reading the posts here. I think that there is much to be gained from the experiences both positive and negative of the people here.

Thanks,
Marcos

P.S. I also want to get rid of that huge header reminding me to make my first post. It is effective because I am making my first post. ;)

TKDBot
4/12/2008 3:09pm,
Welcome to the Bullshido Forums Marcos... Make sure you review your dojo (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83) and add it to your user control panel so you can get the http://www.bullshido.net/images/dojoreview1.gif icon in your user info bar in your posts.

Razma
4/14/2008 12:15am,
Hi,

I've been aware of Bullshido for a while now. Just got around to joining.

I'm very interested in business practices in the MA. I've seen some well run schools and some pretty poorly run schools.

Here in Mexico there are some decent instructors. However, there are a lot of "charlatans". Many people just decide to open up a school and make a lot of claims that can't be substantiated or are just plain false (upon viewing their classes).

One of my teachers in the 80's told me that, "you can either be a good teacher or a good businessman." I think that that is no longer true. If you make your living as a MA instructor, you have to be both. I agree that there are many instructors who are good at what they do on a part-time basis. However, in my time studying in Japan, all of my teachers were full-time professionals who did well in their businesses.

I look forward to reading the posts here. I think that there is much to be gained from the experiences both positive and negative of the people here.

Thanks,
Marcos

P.S. I also want to get rid of that huge header reminding me to make my first post. It is effective because I am making my first post. ;)

Depends what you mean by being a good teacher, Gracie Snr gave everything he had to his students and wound up dirt poor but is still regarded as a brilliant MA practitioner. To also agree with your point within Japan, I trained with a few people a few years ago during my high-school years and found the instructors to be very helpful, they actually knew what they were doing and I got a lot out of the experience.

Btw, what style do you/have you practiced?

Look forward to reading some more of YOUR posts soon.