PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to the United Kingdom...

Pages : [1] 2 3

chemistry
4/11/2008 10:19am,
...y'all just became more of a totalitarian state.

No more "samurai swords" are to be sold, except under strictly regulated conditions.

http://nds.coi.gov.uk/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=364628&NewsAreaID=2

It is now illegal to sell, make, hire or import samurai swords, Home Office Minister Vernon Coaker announced today.

From today anyone who commits such an offence faces up to six months in prison and a fine of up to 5,000. Higher penalties apply to the offence of importation - up to seven years in prison and an unlimited fine. It is already illegal to carry a samurai sword in a public place. Anyone who does so faces a maximum jail sentence of four years and a fine.

Following consultation with police, collectors, traders, victims' groups and martial arts experts, the ban includes exemptions for collectors of genuine Japanese swords and swords used by bona fide martial arts and historical re-enactment groups.

Home Office Minister Vernon Coaker said:

"The Government takes violent crime very seriously and we are determined to do all we can to protect individuals and communities.

"Having undertaken a wide consultation we recognise that it is the cheap and easily available samurai swords that have been used in crime. That is why we have made sensible exemptions for genuine enthusiasts.

Ignorant idiots... Somehow, they seem to think that a POS katana forged in Japan 105 years ago is "safer" than a custom made Howard Clark L6...

Echo Unit
4/11/2008 10:43am,
Yeah. What's the big deal? Here in the U.S. of freedom you can only transport a sword to and from a legit martial arts activity.

They made exceptions for martial artists.

I have no problem with them taking POS swords out of the hands of morons.
Maybe I'll stop seeing ridiculous headlines like "Retarded teenager wounds 4 in savage samurai sword attack"

Phrost
4/11/2008 10:43am,
Just as applicable internationally:

http://www.bullshido.net/images/uhaul.jpg

Gopu
4/11/2008 10:49am,
Wait, so they're banning wall hangers because people actually think they're weapons? No offense but I'd rather have a bat or crowbar or something easily obtainable. This makes no sense.

Also, a lot of good al this is doing. Chavs are still roaming wildly, no? I always hear horror stories about them.

Phrost
4/11/2008 10:50am,
Maybe they should just ban attacking people with weapons.

Oh wai...

Enforcing the existing laws always seems to be harder than making new ones.

Gopu
4/11/2008 11:05am,

Oh wai...

Yeah, but honestly, how many attacks are there per year with katanas? The link said there were numerous incidents but I find that hard to believe.

I suspect it's more social problems than anything.

Totemicist
4/11/2008 11:08am,
Unfortunately there is a widespread belief in politics these days that it is more important to be seen to be doing something (e.g bringing in new laws, putting more police on public transport) than it is to actual takle the source of the problem (e.g social disenfranchisement,).

Still as long as politics continues to pander to the simplistic populist media we will struggle to say anything other than short term publicity stunts.

Rock Ape
4/11/2008 11:17am,
Well here's the score :

I'm a registered and legitimate JSA teacher, I own a number of "real" Japanese swords and a couple of Iaito/Mogito.

I telephoned a mate of mine who's a sergeant in the local CID, he basically informed me that provided I have my swords carried in a secure case/bag, the weapons were not easily accessible and, had my club/governing body membership book with me when I carry too and from the dojo, I have Lawful Possession and regardless of the new law, I am within my rights to own, carry and use these sword in the pursuit of a martial system. But then I've always carried those documents, and carried my sword(s) in the correct way, so no change there then.

The sword "ban" is specifically targeted at the wall-hanging shite which can be bought from the local Sunday market stalls and often in other shops, it is unfortunate that there have been a limited amount of violent crimes involving "samurai swords" but these minority events have hit the news in a very big way.. That's just tough **** basically for us.

Essentially nothing has changed for those involved in legitimate study/ownership of genuine swords (including Chinese made blades such as chenness) and Iaito made in Japan.

So.. its business as usual.

Abusivemelon
4/11/2008 11:29am,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2EQWCpnIR8

Huge blow to the UK I am sure.

Totemicist
4/11/2008 11:33am,
That clip has brightened a tedius day at work, thanks!

Gopu
4/11/2008 11:45am,
That's the video of the sword breaking and cutting that guy, right?

Echo Unit
4/11/2008 11:54am,
BWAHAHAHA!!!

I love that clip. 440 Stainless FTW!

Classic. "Ohhh.... ohh it got me"

Echo Unit
4/11/2008 11:59am,

Oh wai...

What are you, a Libertarian or something?

Phrost
4/11/2008 12:37pm,
I am a Jeffersonian-Heinleinian small-"L" moderate war-hawk libertarian.

Wounded Ronin
4/11/2008 1:58pm,
Isn't the public cost of going to war kind of un-libertarian?

EternalRage
4/11/2008 2:12pm,
good thing naga hasnt gone transatlantic yet...